Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

2 hours ago, dafreak said:

I still think you can trade the first pick and draft a potential Fields replacement. We have the opportunity to roll the dice one more time.

The only two I really consider as possible replacements are Williams and Maye. Other than that I could draft a QB but they'll likely be well gone before I would pick them.

The thing I keep coming back to is, the stuff Fields isn’t great at yet (reading defenses, progressions) is stuff that can be taught with good coaching. And he is improving at those things despite what everyone believes is subpar offensive coaching even if not being at a pace at which some people think is sufficient (that people who harp on the piss poor coaching and circumstances Fields has had to endure since being here are the same people still wanting to hold him to the same developmental timelines as someone who got proper coaching and reasonable circumstances is crazy to me, but I digress).

The special stuff though, the wow moments he produces doing things that few if anyone else can do, those things cannot be taught. You either have that in you, or you don’t, and that stuff is greatness in its purest form. You don’t turn your back on greatness IMO - you nurture it with great care. And you certainly don’t ship it off to Atlanta or Las Vegas for a mid round pick. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The thing I keep coming back to is, the stuff Fields isn’t great at yet (reading defenses, progressions) is stuff that can be taught with good coaching. And he is improving at those things despite what everyone believes is subpar offensive coaching even if not being at a pace at which some people think is sufficient (that people who harp on the piss poor coaching and circumstances Fields has had to endure since being here are the same people still wanting to hold him to the same developmental timelines as someone who got proper coaching and reasonable circumstances is crazy to me, but I digress).

The special stuff though, the wow moments he produces doing things that few if anyone else can do, those things cannot be taught. You either have that in you, or you don’t, and that stuff is greatness in its purest form. You don’t turn your back on greatness IMO - you nurture it with great care. And you certainly don’t ship it off to Atlanta or Las Vegas for a mid round pick. 

Idk man... I don't think processing really can be taught either. 

Like they can learn pattern recognition and maybe better understand coverages/scheme/theory, but the actual processing is just is what it is for people imo. Justin by all accounts is an extremely intelligent guy, so I don't think his processing issue is the learnable former, as much as the unfixable latter. 

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Like they can learn pattern recognition and maybe better understand coverages/scheme/theory, but the actual processing is just is what it is for people imo. Justin by all accounts is an extremely intelligent guy, so I don't think his processing issue is the learnable former, as much as the unfixable latter. 

I'm sure they drill it into Fields every week. "Look, it's there, throw it NOW" in film session or something of the sorts. I think he's gotten better with it. I just wish it was much better after 37 starts and 3 offseasons.

Jeremy Fowler says the Bears can get a 2nd or 3rd for Fields (I find that to be bizarre; NYJ got a 2 and a 4 for Darnold iirc)

He also says a lot of people believe they can get more for the #1 pick this year than last (I don't doubt it but Poles would have to move down to 8-10 again, not 1-2 spots)

(via his twitter)

On 1/2/2024 at 7:34 AM, Epyon said:

To clarify re: processing, that’s more learned via experience than taught. I didn’t say that well in my prior post. Just like anything anyone does over and over again, the more you do something the faster you can do it.

I’m not convinced it’s as much a processing issue for Justin as it is a trust issue though (purely my opinion here). When he does make quick and/or instinctive decisions and throw with anticipation, where is the ball going? Almost exclusively it’s when he’s going to 2 or 85. Which guys did he work with most on building trust and rapport this offseason? 2 and 85. Which guys are the only non-replacement level or below pieces in the WR/TE groups skill wise right now? 2 and 85. Which guys in those groups are the only ones sure to be part of the squad in 2024 as we look to continue to upgrade the roster? 2 and 85. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

Assuming they keep Fields:

The Bears should never draft top 5. They must get at least a future 1RP. The goal is to improve the offense while maintaining an insurance policy. By locking themselves into a top 5 pick, the Bears kill their flexibility to move on from Fields after year 4.

Between free agency, a pick from 10-20, and a haul of new picks, there's enough to build a great offense.

16 hours ago, Sugashane said:

If you can't get the coordinator right then your GM needs fired. Let Warren clean house and keep a better roster than what Poles inherited.

As far as being a professional, that should be expected. He is making millions to play a game, that should be a minimum expectation of him. That doesn't make any difference to me unless he would fail to meet that expectation. Rodgers seemed like an ******* but he produced, so that was the big thing. As long as they aren't breaking the law and jacking up the team I couldn't care much less. I want production.

There will always be a way to spin a concern. At times he was the only offense the Bears had, and at times he was the limiting factor of the offense. A better QB might have been able to make it work with Mooney and some of the other weapons, a better QB could have potentially made Getsy's system work really well, etc.

Like I said, of Eberflus and Fields are retained it won't upset me. It's not what I would do but I'm nothing more than an armchair GM, so it doesn't really matter what I think. lol   If they draft MHJ 1st overall I will think Poles is an idiot for that, but he has been able to steadily increase the talent all across the roster so he deserves the benefit of the doubt. If the offense doesn't take a serious step forward then IMO its 100% time to pull the plug on the Eberflus and Fields experience.

Sorry man but that is an insane statement hahaha...anyone who has seen how the players Poles has added to this team have been playing can't call for him to be fired because Getsy wasn't a knock out hire at OC...

Like you said there is always a way to spin things on either side of this argument and not everyone is every going to agree on the best way forward even after the fact.

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Sorry man but that is an insane statement hahaha...anyone who has seen how the players Poles has added to this team have been playing can't call for him to be fired because Getsy wasn't a knock out hire at OC...

Like you said there is always a way to spin things on either side of this argument and not everyone is every going to agree on the best way forward even after the fact.

He allowed the Getsy hire, if they screw it up with Fields again then its also on him.

GMs get credit for everything that happens under him, so they need to get flack for just as much. And haven't you been the one saying Fields hasn't had enough help almost daily? lol (not being a jerk, just teasing).

Poles had a plan, he executed it. The Bears tanked last year and lucked into 1.1 and now have lucked into 1.1 again. Huge props to him. But he sacrificed Fields along the way, especially if they didn't make a change with Getsy for his obvious incompetence. That is on Poles alone or Poles and Eberflus. I honestly think it is still more likely he uses Ebeflus as a scapegoat if things go poorly in 2024 and he gets to stay.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

He allowed the Getsy hire, if they screw it up with Fields again then its also on him.

GMs get credit for everything that happens under him, so they need to get flack for just as much. And haven't you been the one saying Fields hasn't had enough help almost daily? lol (not being a jerk, just teasing).

Poles had a plan, he executed it. The Bears tanked last year and lucked into 1.1 and now have lucked into 1.1 again. Huge props to him. But he sacrificed Fields along the way, especially if they didn't make a change with Getsy for his obvious incompetence. That is on Poles alone or Poles and Eberflus. I honestly think it is still more likely he uses Ebeflus as a scapegoat if things go poorly in 2024 and he gets to stay.

Of course he gets a share of the blame but not enough to fire him hahaha...

And yes I have been daily that on the daily...and at the start of the year I was hammering him for not doing enough on the DL but as you said he had a plan and he is sticking to it...will there be bad decisions? Of course...look at Claypool...but does the good massively outweigh the bad right now? 100% IMO...

I don't think he needs to sacrifice Fields...I think he needs to give him more help.

Posted (edited)

I'm leaning toward Keeping Getsy with JF1; however, Getsy needs to look at game films and find the good/great things that JF1 does well the past 2 years and use it as the Bears' offensive identity!

Then get a better OL and a secondWR1.  JF1 should be dominating.  Flus will need to keep calling the Defense and get the #1 Defense alive.

I think the fans/organization can live with that.  The Bears are ready to win the Division with all the upgrades.

Edited by JibjeResearch
edit to secondWR1

39 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think he needs to sacrifice Fields...I think he needs to give him more help.

I believe he already has. 2 years of what should have been critical developmental time are already gone.  On top of Pace/Nagy wasting his rookie year. 

23 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

I'm leaning toward Keeping Getsy with JF1; however, Getsy needs to look at game films and find the good/great things that JF1 does well the past 2 years and use it as the Bears' offensive identity!

Then get a better OL and a secondWR2.  JF1 should be dominating.  Flus will need to keep calling the Defense and get the #1 Defense alive.

I think the fans/organization can live with that.  The Bears are ready to win the Division with all the upgrades.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I believe he already has. 2 years of what should have been critical developmental time are already gone.  On top of Pace/Nagy wasting his rookie year. 

We will need to agree to disagree on that one...the development could have been better no doubt but I don't think Fields is past the point of going from a top 15 QB to being a top 8 QB.