2023 GDT Week #3 DA Pittsburgh Steelers Visit Las Vegas Da Raiders

Steeler Hitman

Who Ya Got This Week?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Steelers go to 2-1 with a win in Vegas?

• Yeah, They do it in typical Steelers ugly fashion!
    • No, They lose in typical Steelers ugly fashion!
    • Neither. They Tie in typical Steelers ugly fashion!

10 hours ago, jebrick said:

Center has moved up my list for next year.  ILB has moved down.  Still a DE/Cam replacement is very high

At Center :

Beaux Limmer from Arkansas has my attention and will be watching his development. Also want to see more of Nugent from Michigan. 

I have critical concerns with Van Prann's game. 

Saw some things I didnt like about Foster from Texas A&M but like all the others deserves a deeper dive that I'll get to later in the season. 

Wasn't so enthused by Frazier from West Virginia as the announcers seem to want to hype him up for/as. 

• Like 2

Just making a note of what I saw from the Houston / Jacksonville game..

Jags special teams coach probably has a very warm seat this morning. Missed a field goal, allowed a kickoff return for TD to a fullback on a ball that was muffed/bobbled. There was something else as well. The Special teams miscues set the tone and put Jacksonville in a hole. 

On top of that two untimely turnovers hurt Jax and helped Houston. In other words Jacksonville helped Houston out a lot. Not saying Houston couldn't win that game on their own but Jax's help is what made for such a big gap in the score. 

• Like 2

Going for it on 4th down vs trying to win a game are 2 different calculations. Going for it from the 4 yard line when down 8 should have been a no brainer especially if you have to count on an offense that has trouble moving the ball 30 yards to try to run a 2 minute drill to get a TD.

Do I guarantee that he does not kick the FG?  Nope, but with this offense, it is better to score when you have a chance.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Going for it on 4th down vs trying to win a game are 2 different calculations.

It may be different calculations, but they come from the same vein. You don't go for it on 4th down for fun. You do it because it increases your likelihood to win games. If we are basing a hypothetical decision that Tomlin makes based on his history, it's pretty hard not to choose the conservative choice. 

Going for it from the 4 yard line when down 8 should have been a no brainer especially

This isn't a full on desperation situation -- though, it probably should be viewed as one. 2:22, 3 TO's, the 2 minute warning, and TJ, Minkah, & Co. I agree with you it should be a no brainer, but Tomlin's history suggests trusting Boz and his defense. 

Just two years ago Tomlin erred on his defense against the Raiders down 9 while the D was missing 4 starters...It ended predictably with us running out of time because they kept picking up first downs. 

but with this offense, it is better to score when you have a chance.  

Again in total agreement with you, but this offense has stunk for 3 straight years and Tomlin has only leaned further into conservative choices. IMO, Tomlin seems to look at those situations not as the offense having a chance to win it, but as the offense not having a chance to lose it. 

I definitely get where you are coming from, but Tomlin's history makes it hard to think he makes a different choice. Less time or no timeouts? Sure. But that's a scenario it's easy to see him doing the same thing. 

But, I respect your opinion and agree with a lot of it, so I will amend my original statement. I believe Tomlin makes that decision 9 of 10 times. 🙃