The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

18 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I just don't agree. I understand everyone's fascination, but this is not a strong QB class IMO. I don't see anything that separates any of the guys, not named Caleb Williams, from the Josh Rosens, Daniel Jones, Sam Darnolds or Zach Wilson's. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind and I don't expect anyone to change mine. I just hope we don't mortgage our future on any of these QBs. 

I will give you that Drake Maye & Sam Darnold is a good comp as prospects but, Maye also has nearly size & arm strength of guys like Josh Allen & Herbert. The fact that people are comparing Maye to Daniel Jones seems like a fad to me & way way off base.

There was no Jayden Daniels-type prospect in the 2018, 19, 20, or 21 drafts. Daniels put up historic #s and for as much as I question if he can stay healthy in the NFL bc of his frame ala RG3, Daniels had better seasons than all those guys you mentioned.

Honestly, none of those guys you mentioned are on Bo Nix’s level either for what he did this year at Oregon.

Penix compares to a Mac Jones in terms of accuracy but Penix is more experienced, has better pocket presence and is more athletic. He may just have a good but not great arm but, he can put the ball anywhere with pinpoint accuracy.

Then there’s JJ McCarthy who in a lot of the other drafts would be a top 20 pick but will probably be a 2nd round pick in this draft bc of Caleb, Maye, Daniels, Nix & Penix; but I guess there's a chance McCarthy goes before Penix bc of age/potential & the knee injuries of Penix.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Ben has developed Goff and took him further than McVay did or could. Maye to me has better tools to work with and as long as he’s a willing participant he should be able to do the same with Drake.  

He’s not a perfect QB by no means but if we think Ben is the coach we believe he is he can help and improve Drakes weaknesses and make him the best QB for this team. It’s  close between Drake and Jayden but i think he’s more of a well rounded QB. 

I wouldn't take too much away from McVay on his development of Goff. McVay did the hard developing of Goff in his 2nd through 4th seasons. McVay & Snead just thought they had a better chance to win a Super Bowl now with Stafford & they were right. 

Goff has matured & become a better leader since coming to Detroit, obviously, Campbell & Ben Johnson have a lot to do with that but I still think most of the development was done by McVay.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, but at least then you took that chance on a young QB prospect. Let's use RG3 for ex. let's imagine we didn't take RG3 in 2012 & instead, we didn't do what a lot of us wanted to do & drafted WR Justin Blackmon meanwhile RG3 went on to have the rookie season he did in 2012 for the Browns.

That would've been a lot worse.

So haveing a Qb play two and a half seasons for 3-1’s and a 2 could have been worse? We could have had Blackmon and Kirk and top picks the next few years and the Shanahan’s could have continued to build this team. That’s literally the worse trade outside of Lance and only because RG got to have a great rookie season. 

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think the comparisons of Maye to Daniel Jones or even Mac Jones by Mueller are some of the silliest comparisons I've ever seen. Daniel Jones wasn't a first round talent and climbed the boards because of the Manning's. It was obvious what was going to happen with him and it played out exactly as most thought. He was a sub 60% passer who had one of the better QB coaches in David Cutcliffe and still did nothing at Duke. They're similar looking as people and that's about where the comparisons stop. Maye is so much better at this stage of his career than Jones ever was that its kinda silly to even make the comparison and the absurd Mac Jones comparison from Mueller was as bad a blunder of "I have never actually watched this guy" as Matt Miller last year comparing Howell's arm strength to Colt McCoys.  

Their numbers as far as consistency throughout every level of throws are so similar. Neither throw with accuracy on any level. They both are sneaky athletic and have great size with no big wins and neither have a cannon. It’s actually the best comp for him because he isn’t Herbert or Allen!!! Those guys have legit missles and quicker releases. The Mac Jones comp is dumb. But the Daniel Jones comp is my comp. That’s what I saw all season. And Jones was constantly mocked high and again this is what I’m saying. Media push QB’s up. But his tape just isn’t top 5. Now if he went to the senior bowl and killed it which he has the option and I could see him with a NFL coach it could completely change my take on him like guys like Herbert and Mayfield have done. 

6 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Their numbers as far as consistency throughout every level of throws are so similar. Neither throw with accuracy on any level. They both are sneaky athletic and have great size with no big wins and neither have a cannon. It’s actually the best comp for him because he isn’t Herbert or Allen!!! Those guys have legit missles and quicker releases. The Mac Jones comp is dumb. But the Daniel Jones comp is my comp. That’s what I saw all season. And Jones was constantly mocked high and again this is what I’m saying. Media push QB’s up. But his tape just isn’t top 5. Now if he went to the senior bowl and killed it which he has the option and I could see him with a NFL coach it could completely change my take on him like guys like Herbert and Mayfield have done. 

I just don't agree with the comp to Daniel Jones at all. I respect the hell out of you dude but I'm not seeing it. 

• Like 2

I’m not scared to draft a QB. But I wouldn’t draft a QB just to draft one especially in this class. There are legit stars!!! Every year we pass on stars for need!!! We always do this it’s why we suck!!! It’s why we just have good players and no stars. It’s why we cycle coaches and staffs. You need difference makers. No QB can win without true blue chip players. We won too many games to get Garrett Wilson by one pick. Passed on Kyle Hamilton. We pass on Derwin James we pass on Stars constantly for need players!!! This draft has a true Unicorn TE!!! A once ever not generational a once ever level player. You got Marvin and Rome who are legit legit blue chip ten year top of the league scheme breaking players. You have Alt who is a technician and freak. And you have one true superstar prospect at QB and the Florida St ILB is a true difference maker. We aren’t going there but he’s legit. I just can’t see picking a player who we have nothing but Terry and Cosmi and Robinson to put around them when they are a trailer and not a truck and then wonder why we’re picking top 5 next year talking about how ****ty our new coaching staff is

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just don't agree with the comp to Daniel Jones at all. I respect the hell out of you dude but I'm not seeing it. 

I respect you too brother and we 99% of the time are in sync. And I get it. I just want a star! This team needs a star or a true cornerstone freak OL to build. I feel like we have a okay core of role guys. Not enough but it’s not void.

19 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:
2: R1 P2 QB Drake Maye - North Carolina
36: R2 P4 LB Edgerrin Cooper - Texas A&M
40: R2 P8 C Jackson Powers-Johnson - Oregon
67: R3 P3 G Zak Zinter - Michigan
99: R3 P35 LB Cedric Gray - North Carolina
102: R4 P2 RB Mar'Keise Irving - Oregon
140: R5 P4 WR Ainias Smith - Texas A&M
178: R6 P3 EDGE Jaylen Harrell - Michigan
221: R7 P2 RB Jarquez Hunter - Auburn
Ben will help Drake out with his adjustments to the NFL. 

Adding D. Schultz, T. Higgins and Jaylon Johnson besides K. Fuller, K. Curl and Lucas. Ainias Smith can replace Samuel and serve as KR/PR  

Not a bad influx of players.

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

So haveing a Qb play two and a half seasons for 3-1’s and a 2 could have been worse? We could have had Blackmon and Kirk and top picks the next few years and the Shanahan’s could have continued to build this team. That’s literally the worse trade outside of Lance and only because RG got to have a great rookie season. 

Blackmon was a bigger bust than RG3, he did nothing in the league & we got lucky that Kirk in his 4th season and with a coach who did not draft him broke out. Kirk wasn't that great from 2012-2014, Kirk didn't put it all together until he was 27. 

If Kirk or Grossman are our starters in 2012, Shanahan is probably fired after we win 5 or 6 games that season.

My main point with this is on QBs, you miss 100% of the chances you don't take! We have the 2ne pick in the draft for the 2nd time in 5 years, we should take which QB Adam Peters & hopefully Ben Johnson think is best for his system & not think twice!

7 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

He's going to be a mid round steal, i really think he can be our next Cooley. I hope we draft him in R4 & Blake Watson in R5 who could he our next McKissic. They could be two huge mid round steals for us.

12 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I respect you too brother and we 99% of the time are in sync. And I get it. I just want a star! This team needs a star or a true cornerstone freak OL to build. I feel like we have a okay core of role guys. Not enough but it’s not void.

The Drake Maye to Daniel Jones is just an awful comp. Daniel Jones was a late riser & did so in part bc of his connections to the Manning’s as @lavar703 said.

In most drafts with better QB talent, Daniel Jones would've gone in R2 just like Haskins should've. 

Drake Maye has been a projected top 5 draft pick in this class since he was being recruited 4 years ago just like Caleb Williams and the only reason Maye didn't have a great season this year is bc the WR talent to start the season at UNC was awful as the guy who was supposed to be his top target wasn't allowed to play to start the season.

Drake Maye could've gone to Alabama or other more high profile schools and thrown for 40 tds every year & rushed for 5 to 10 TDs but, he chose to go to UNC bc he wanted to stay home like his older brother did who played basketball at UNC & he wanted to play for Mac Brown.

Maye’s floor is Daniel Jones, but his ceiling is closer to that of Josh Allen.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1