The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

I don’t expect the Commanders to trade. This is an exercise I wanted to try out and it’s been fun. 

There are very few players I would say cost more than the overall #2 pick but Jefferson is one of them. You just don’t trade a sure-fire HoF player (a player that has gotten to that point with Cousins of all people. I’m a Cousins “hater” and many Vikings fans are peeved by me) that is very young and presumably, and hopefully, has much more left in the tank. 

He demands more than a first round pick regardless of selection. 

Also, to the guy that said I was talking trash about Washington in the Minnesota forum, that’s not true at all. Pretty sure that right around, or even before I made my first post here. I read some rumors online regarding a potential trade with Washington, and wanted to see what some Washington fans thought. I also voiced my disagreement with the trade speculation on my own forum. 

Anyway, I’m from and spent 99% of my life in the Virginia/North Carolina region so I’m more familiar with Commanders and their fans than most. I’m in West Virginia now so not much has changed. 😂. But these discussions are always fun indeed. 

Edited by Morlee

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

At #4 you're looking at JJ McCarthy. But you're not gonna get one of the top 3 QBs even if you get to #4. So Maye is gonna be gone if we take him and definitely will be gone if the Pats take him. So you'd need for them to come off the pick and you'd have to really sweeten the pot given that they also don't really have a QB.

So you're looking at #4. But hey, there's Arizona. They have a QB (or at least think they do). The top 3 picks have gone QB (let's assume that it happens this way for the sake of argument).

What luck! MHJr drops in their lap. They will hang onto #4 and take MHJr to pair with their QB. Doubt you'll get them to move. But it could happen for multiple firsts. They could trade down with you, and you grab JJ. Then they could use one or both firsts to trade back up and get Odunze.

Your best bet here is to try to get a trade to #5 to pick up JJ MCarthy (whom I think you also like). Because if he makes it to the Giants at #6, he's getting picked up (they also need a QB even after paying Daniels). 

But here's the rub. The Giants know you want to move up. And are prepared to offer the Chargers a 2nd rounder in 2024 to drop only a single spot. 

Would the Chargers forego 11 and 23 this year? That's a bit of a tough call. I might do it (the trade with Minnesota) if I were them. But there's the problem that they just got rid of Mike Williams and Malik Nabors is waiting there at #5 (#6 if they take the Giants offer). They need offense and Herbert is losing his reliable target and Nabors is an explosive WR. So looking at that, I'd have to see what players (WR?) I could get at 11 or 23 that could make up for losing out on Nabors.

I think your very best bet? Is hope that the Giants want to give Devito more time and also get some sort of value out of Daniels' contract and drafts Odunze (they need WR too). That would cause JJ to fall all the way to 11 and you could get him there (my math --> Titans need OL help and Joe Alt is waiting there to be taken, Falcons just signed Kirk, Bears have Caleb, Jets have Rodgers).

This way you keep 11 and draft JJ with it and then keep your #23 and your 2025 first rounder.

Of course that assumes the Broncos are not trying to jump ahead of you. In which case, you'd need to trade up with either the Falcons. Bears #9 pick or the Jets to assure that Denver does not swoop in and take the guy you want. But that trade would cost wayyyy less than trying to jump to #2 or #3.

If we trade up to #5, you can only do so during the draft. Moving up too early could get us screwed and have NY jump ahead of us. 

Also, imo it’s Top 4. There’s Williams, and then the next 3. Interchangeable in a way depending on who your coach is. I’d be fine if we got either. Likely would have to trade to #3 or #4.  We have to. 

But number 2 would be better. Then you guys can get 11, 23, a 3rd rounder and next year’s 1st round pick and 3rd round pick. No price too high if the regime truly believes in one of the top QBs. You guys have alot of holes to fill. You can wait on a QB or draft Nix or someone at 23 and move forward with that. 

As much as a serious draft Haul would be amazing I just don’t see us passing up whichever QB they love. Now if they went different directions in FA I’d say yeah there’s a real chance which there still could be. And for as much Jayden talk as there is in the media I always hold Daniel Jeremiah to a higher regard and he keeps saying Maye. And I think bringing in Marcus even though his play style does line up more with Jayden I think the traits of Maye are really going to excite this FO. But I feel the same way about Maye as I do with JJ as in unless they come in and just grasp things quicker then expected I think sitting atleast 6 weeks is critical for them both. I could care less about the outside pressure it’s year one sit the kid. Do what’s in their best interest. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Morlee said:

But number 2 would be better. Then you guys can get 11, 23, a 3rd rounder and next year’s 1st round pick and 3rd round pick. No price too high if the regime truly believes in one of the top QBs. You guys have alot of holes to fill. You can wait on a QB or draft Nix or someone at 23 and move forward with that. 

Again, I think you are kind of missing the point. So I'll start from the beginning. Also, disclaimer about myself: My preferred draft strategy was for us to trade down and maximize talent for a variety of positions and set ourselves up for success long term. I also do not believe in any QB outside of Caleb Williams, being a day-1 starter or QBotF.

While #11, 23, 2024 3rd, 2025 1st, and 2025 3rd seems like a lot to you, probably more than you are wanting/willing to pay. However to this franchise and where we are at, that isn't nearly enough. When I said it would take something historic for this franchise to move the #2, I was serious. Let me explain. 

First you need to understand that although, you may hate Kirk Cousins, he was actually the last decent QB we have had in a decade. Since Kirk we have had: Alex Smith, Josh Johnson, Colt McCoy, Mark Sanchez, Case Keenum, Dwayne Haskins, Kyle Allen, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Taylor Heinicke, Garrett Gilbert, Carson Wentz and Sam Howell start games for us. Also you have to consider the last time we had the #2 overall pick (2020) we passed on Justin Herbert and Tua Tagovailoa in favor of Chase Young because we had Dwayne Haskins on the roster. 

If that wasn't enough of a reason for you to understand our position, allow me to explain a small synopsis of the morale for this team during that same span. As you are aware, we are 1 year removed from the worst owner in the history of sports. What you may not be aware of is the impact that he had on day-to-day operations, draft picks, free agents and the entire F.O. and staff structuring. Needless to say, Dan Snyder was a kid in a candy store who always got what he wanted because he could afford to overpay. We have long been a laughing stock of the league giving out 100M dollar contracts to Albert Haynesworth, trading for Donovan McNabb (2nd and a 4th) and subsequently giving him a 5yr/75M extension before getting destroyed by Mike Vick and the Eagles on MNF, trading 2 3rds for Carson Wentz when he was going to be cut, etc. All of these were directly at Dan Snyders "request". 

Then flash forward to where we are now. An ownership group that appears to be dedicated to putting together a winning organization from top to bottom. Our first real GM (not one of Dan's buddies or nepotism hire) who brought instant credibility and a plan. The first thing that was said was that they would hire a leader and whether or not Dan Quinn was their first choice (he wasn't mine), it's unquestioned that he possesses top tier leadership skills. Adam Peters let slip at the NFL combine that his next task was to find a new quarterback, before having to walk back his comments and say nice things about Sam Howell. It was clear that Howell was not in the teams long term plans after signing Mariota to potentially be "the veteran back-up" to whoever they drafted. They they traded Howell and assured that not only would they not be moving off the #2 pick, but they likely already know the player that they want and don't have to do anything to get him. 

So when I say it would take something historic to get them to move off the pick, know that it's not without reason. Whatever team that wants that pick would have to make a very compelling reason why they shouldn't choose "their guy". 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Again, I think you are kind of missing the point. So I'll start from the beginning. Also, disclaimer about myself: My preferred draft strategy was for us to trade down and maximize talent for a variety of positions and set ourselves up for success long term. I also do not believe in any QB outside of Caleb Williams, being a day-1 starter or QBotF.

While #11, 23, 2024 3rd, 2025 1st, and 2025 3rd seems like a lot to you, probably more than you are wanting/willing to pay. However to this franchise and where we are at, that isn't nearly enough. When I said it would take something historic for this franchise to move the #2, I was serious. Let me explain. 

First you need to understand that although, you may hate Kirk Cousins, he was actually the last decent QB we have had in a decade. Since Kirk we have had: Alex Smith, Josh Johnson, Colt McCoy, Mark Sanchez, Case Keenum, Dwayne Haskins, Kyle Allen, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Taylor Heinicke, Garrett Gilbert, Carson Wentz and Sam Howell start games for us. Also you have to consider the last time we had the #2 overall pick (2020) we passed on Justin Herbert and Tua Tagovailoa in favor of Chase Young because we had Dwayne Haskins on the roster. 

If that wasn't enough of a reason for you to understand our position, allow me to explain a small synopsis of the morale for this team during that same span. As you are aware, we are 1 year removed from the worst owner in the history of sports. What you may not be aware of is the impact that he had on day-to-day operations, draft picks, free agents and the entire F.O. and staff structuring. Needless to say, Dan Snyder was a kid in a candy store who always got what he wanted because he could afford to overpay. We have long been a laughing stock of the league giving out 100M dollar contracts to Albert Haynesworth, trading for Donovan McNabb (2nd and a 4th) and subsequently giving him a 5yr/75M extension before getting destroyed by Mike Vick and the Eagles on MNF, trading 2 3rds for Carson Wentz when he was going to be cut, etc. All of these were directly at Dan Snyders "request". 

Then flash forward to where we are now. An ownership group that appears to be dedicated to putting together a winning organization from top to bottom. Our first real GM (not one of Dan's buddies or nepotism hire) who brought instant credibility and a plan. The first thing that was said was that they would hire a leader and whether or not Dan Quinn was their first choice (he wasn't mine), it's unquestioned that he possesses top tier leadership skills. Adam Peters let slip at the NFL combine that his next task was to find a new quarterback, before having to walk back his comments and say nice things about Sam Howell. It was clear that Howell was not in the teams long term plans after signing Mariota to potentially be "the veteran back-up" to whoever they drafted. They they traded Howell and assured that not only would they not be moving off the #2 pick, but they likely already know the player that they want and don't have to do anything to get him. 

So when I say it would take something historic to get them to move off the pick, know that it's not without reason. Whatever team that wants that pick would have to make a very compelling reason why they shouldn't choose "their guy". 

Don’t know that you could tell the story that’s shaped the psychology of this franchise much better than that. Bravo 👏🏼 

That pick represents the hope that maybe things are really different.

So many things had to fall into place for us to leapfrog all those teams in the last month of the season and end up in that position. The Pats and the Giants and the Cardinals somehow inexplicably winning late season games to hurt their draft stock (thanks Eagles!). Us somehow losing the Jets game, which we would have won 10/10 times under Snyder. The tiebreaker games falling our way. Everything had to go just right…and for the first time since I’ve been old enough to be aware of these things at least, they actually did.

Maybe Maye/Daniels will fail if we pick them. The odds are probably in favor of it. But there’s just so much positivity and good energy around this franchise right now — if there was ever a time to take a big swing and hope it connects, it feels like it’s right now.

You hit the nail on the head. It’s about much more than just the pick value or even the prospect grade. It’s about history. It’s about a franchise that just freed itself from the clutches of one of the worst people on earth. And it’s about a franchise that hasn’t drafted a QB who’s started more than 72 games for us since 1937. 1937!

• Like 3

Jeremy Fowler

Florida State CB Jarrian Jones has a Top 30 visit scheduled with the Indianapolis Colts, source said. 

Athletic & versatile corner that’s enjoyed an excellent pre-draft process.

I hope he has a visit with us. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Rare that I find an ideal draft online. Here's one. I'd love this.

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/lists/commanders-2024-7-round-mock-draft-2-0-nfl-draft-drake-maye/

Would love this draft. Think it costs a bit more than 36 + 78 to get up to 19, but I’d do that in a heartbeat. Mims is such a gamble, but we’re very early in this process — shoot for superstar ceilings and see what you get!

I think it’s low on Kneeland (late 2nd in my book) and Zinter (late 3rd in my book), but I really like both of those players too. And Legette is a guy who certainly has some elite traits that we’re missing.

1 minute ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Jeremy Fowler

Florida State CB Jarrian Jones has a Top 30 visit scheduled with the Indianapolis Colts, source said. 

Athletic & versatile corner that’s enjoyed an excellent pre-draft process.

I hope he has a visit with us. 

I think he and Renardo Green (also of FSU) are both guys to keep an eye on for us at CB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I love Green!!! He’s a future stud CB!!

You know you’re my guy for DB play — I don’t even scout them, I just Ctrl-F “ripsean21” and form my opinions based on what I read 😂

• Like 3

Jordan Schultz 

Sources to @BleacherReport: Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy visited the #Giants last week, which included dinner with the front office and a tour of the facility. 

The #Commanders are flying out to Ann Arbor to have dinner Thursday night with McCarthy the night before his Pro Day, per multiple sources.

5 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Jordan Schultz 

Sources to @BleacherReport: Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy visited the #Giants last week, which included dinner with the front office and a tour of the facility. 

The #Commanders are flying out to Ann Arbor to have dinner Thursday night with McCarthy the night before his Pro Day, per multiple sources.

These NFL teams are really buying into these QB prospects.. lol

Can't say that I'm sold on McCarthy as anything better than QB4. Where that puts him is beyond me.

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Very good explanation. 

Again, like I said before, if I was the GM of the Commanders, I would not trade the pick. Not even for someone’s entire draft. 

Maybe that rumor was made in jest then.

I did know a lot about the Snyder hate lol. I didn’t know the specifics but I was aware that he was much more involved than he should have been in both the front office and team moves.

Just like you have hope with the no. 2 pick, the Vikings haven’t been in a position to potentially draft a top QB prospect since I don’t know when. Instead choosing to sign and overpay for mediocre QBs that need everything around them to be perfect in order to be even semi-productive. 

We haven’t had a franchise QB since Tarkenton. At least you guys have had Doug Williams, and Robert Griffin III (injuries are unfortunate but you most certainly hit the jackpot with that selection). 

We literally haven’t hit on a QB. Ever. I’m out History. Culpepper is the closest thing, but he had Randy Moss and many other weapons to help him. 

I don’t see Washington trading either but I would love for them to lol 

Edited by Morlee