The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I mean we all know my feelings on McCarthy. He’s actually the guy I’d take at one if I was a GM job on the line. But that said I’d sit him atleast 6 weeks also which would be another not popular opinion.
That said I can see all that with Jayden. I love the guy I love his story loved breaking down his HS tape and I think he’s got just as much chance to be the guy in this class as anyone. But his concerns are real. I think my stance on how I feel about McCarthy and my concerns with Daniels has really opened it up to put Maye as my 3 because like JJ I’d sit him too atleast 6 games. But it’s just for the player it isn’t because I don’t think either couldn’t earn the spot. They have a very similar skillset. Maye is bigger maybe alittle more gas in the arm but it’s not far off both throw differently. JJ has a quicker twitch and levels better Maye is winded up but threads this pistol missles better.

I have no clue what people see in McCarthy? He does nothing at an elite level but I guess he's good at them if that makes sense? He doesn't throw a great deep ball and he wasn't trusted by his staff in big situations. I have understood some QBs rising in a draft before like say Anthony Richardson, who for all intents and purposes was a terrible college QB but was just an unbelievable athlete. McCarthy on the other hand is a Christian Ponder-type to me. He's a classic overdraft that will start for a couple years and then that team will be right back looking to pick another QB. I mean, I'm pretty down on Daniels and I would take him over McCarthy very easily.

I think there are two very obvious elite-type talents in this draft. They have been at the top of draft boards for this draft for two years now and people are overthinking it. Daniels would be a wonderful consolation prize if Maye didn't exist but the push for him to go ahead of Maye is just silly to me. He has a spindly build which almost certainly will not survive at the next level, doesn't have the arm needed to make a large chunk of NFL throws and he looks to run far too often. He's also 5 years in and I think this is the peak of his development. I really don't see his game growing beyond this because of the limitations his arm presents. He'd be wonderful if we were throwing deep balls all game but we aren't and he simply doesn't have the arm to put the ball in places that NFL DBs can't get to it the way Maye and Williams can. I have said it before and I truly feel this way, if we select Daniels over Maye in two years it will look like one of the dumbest decisions a team has ever made. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I have no clue what people see in McCarthy? He does nothing at an elite level but I guess he's good at them if that makes sense? He doesn't throw a great deep ball and he wasn't trusted by his staff in big situations. I have understood some QBs rising in a draft before like say Anthony Richardson, who for all intents and purposes was a terrible college QB but was just an unbelievable athlete. McCarthy on the other hand is a Christian Ponder-type to me. He's a classic overdraft that will start for a couple years and then that team will be right back looking to pick another QB. I mean, I'm pretty down on Daniels and I would take him over McCarthy very easily.

I think there are two very obvious elite-type talents in this draft. They have been at the top of draft boards for this draft for two years now and people are overthinking it. Daniels would be a wonderful consolation prize if Maye didn't exist but the push for him to go ahead of Maye is just silly to me. He has a spindly build which almost certainly will not survive at the next level, doesn't have the arm needed to make a large chunk of NFL throws and he looks to run far too often. He's also 5 years in and I think this is the peak of his development. I really don't see his game growing beyond this because of the limitations his arm presents. He'd be wonderful if we were throwing deep balls all game but we aren't and he simply doesn't have the arm to put the ball in places that NFL DBs can't get to it the way Maye and Williams can. I have said it before and I truly feel this way, if we select Daniels over Maye in two years it will look like one of the dumbest decisions a team has ever made. 

While I agree with you about Maye vs. Daniels I do think you're underselling McCarthy a bit. I know I'm gonna get flamed but he reminds me a bit of Brady when he came out. Brady was considered like the 7th best QB in his class. And his workouts were "just ok" according to scouts (along with "poor build", "slow", etc... comments).

So I can definitely see him as the 4th QB.

I also see Penix as the 5th QB in this draft (so flame me if you will).

But yeah, I'm currently on the Maye bandwagon at the moment.

• Like 1

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

While I agree with you about Maye vs. Daniels I do think you're underselling McCarthy a bit. I know I'm gonna get flamed but he reminds me a bit of Brady when he came out. Brady was considered like the 7th best QB in his class. And his workouts were "just ok" according to scouts (along with "poor build", "slow", etc... comments).

So I can definitely see him as the 4th QB.

I also see Penix as the 5th QB in this draft (so flame me if you will).

But yeah, I'm currently on the Maye bandwagon at the moment.

McCarthy is very athletic. He can certainly move around the pocket but my feeling was he should've stayed another year or transferred somewhere that would let him show off his arm talent. From watching Michigan he just is never asked to do anything tough. He's not put in situations where they need to rely on him. I think the tools are there but in this class he's nothing special. I think he would've been the obvious guy to make a leap to #1 overall next year had he stayed. I just did not understand him entering this draft at all? I hope whoever picks him sits him for a bit. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Alright I'm going to stand up for my boy here. Full disclosure I am a Michigan fan.

The thought that JJ McCarthy doesn't do anything at what would be seen as an elite level in college is just straight up incorrect. JJ does about as good as any QB in this draft throwing on the run, and has a good strong arm that when he throws across his body he is still likely to make a play. McCarthy is absolutely wonderful at extending plays with his  legs overall as well, and still can (when they call these plays) keep his eyes downfield to find a good man. He works the middle of the field with TEs better than Daniels or Williams. I've also seen JJ throw into some insanely tight windows and come out with TDs. When he has given the opportunity to throw deep, he's got a very strong arm and you don't have to necessarily worry about him underthrowing his intended target. The biggest issue against JJ McCarthy is the reps because of how Michigan played the game.

I want to make this clear about Michigan this past year; as much as Roman Wilson is getting love/hype, he wasn't the type of receiver to be available to stretch the field against upper echelon competition. He could do it against those other schools earlier in the year, but, he wasn't necessarily seperating at a great level. I like Wilson, I think he's going to be a good slot guy in this league. The tight ends and the runningbacks were the real stars of the show on that offense. They didn't necessarily have a vertical threat (its the main reason I wish Andrel Anthony would have stayed instead of transferring but alas)

Do I think he's as good as the top 3? Nah. But do I think he also has as good a ceiling as many of these other QBs? I absolutely do. He's also a super coachable and smart kid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

McCarthy is very athletic. He can certainly move around the pocket but my feeling was he should've stayed another year or transferred somewhere that would let him show off his arm talent. From watching Michigan he just is never asked to do anything tough. He's not put in situations where they need to rely on him. I think the tools are there but in this class he's nothing special. I think he would've been the obvious guy to make a leap to #1 overall next year had he stayed. I just did not understand him entering this draft at all? I hope whoever picks him sits him for a bit. 

Staying another year would have done nothing for him. If you thought Michigan lacked offensive talent this year on the outside, wait til you see next year.

Like... how can you watch this play, seeing that it breaks down well, with a free rusher in his face where JJ McCarthy has to go back for this pass, and throw it off balance on his back foot, and not think "Damn, there's something about this kid"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

Staying another year would have done nothing for him. If you thought Michigan lacked offensive talent this year on the outside, wait til you see next year.

Yeah. My suggestion of transferring I think would've been the better route. But he might just get drafted in the top 3 so if it pays off for him that's good. I don't dislike McCarthy. I think he's a hell of a competitor but I hate that he just wasn't asked to do much. He had, I think 30 starts in college and hit 300-yards 3 times. In those 3 games he threw 5 TD 3 INT so it seems as they turned the heat up he started turning the ball over more. You definitely watched him more so I don't want to argue you on this point. I can only speak to what I've seen. 

Edited by lavar703

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah. My suggestion of transferring I think would've been the better route. But he might just get drafted in the top 3 so if it pays off for him that's good. I don't dislike McCarthy. I think he's a hell of a competitor but I hate that he just wasn't asked to do much. He had, I think 30 starts in college and hit 300-yards 3 times. In those 3 games he threw 5 TD 3 INT so it seems as they turned the heat up he started turning the ball over more. You definitely watched him more so I don't want to argue you on this point. I can only speak to what I've seen. 

When you have an offensive line the caliber they had, as well as the runningbacks the caliber they had, you'd be running the ball too. Michigan didn't get beat in the trenches at all, its why Blake had as much success as he did. Even when Zinter got hurt, they still held up well against pressure, and still opened gaps as a unit at an absolutely elite level.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TOUCAN said:

Like... how can you watch this play, seeing that it breaks down well, with a free rusher in his face where JJ McCarthy has to go back for this pass, and throw it off balance on his back foot, and not think "Damn, there's something about this kid"

The man retired Nick Saban for lord sakes 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd prefer Harbaugh to stick his foot in his mouth again, trade Herbert, and draft McCarthy 5th overall. 

I would happily give up the 2nd pick in the draft for Herbert lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TOUCAN said:

Call me crazy but I don't think this is that amazing of a play. I think its a play probably all of the top QBs in this draft can make. Maye threw a left handed TD pass with people chasing him for crying out loud lol. I think McCarthy is talented but I don't think he should be a first round pick. I don't think he should be in this draft. I think he needed another year at a program that would allow him to show off his talents being his offenses main focus. I know there's things on film he shows that wow but I think he should sit for a year. Who knows though? I could be totally wrong and the draft is a total crapshoot and McCarthy ends up being the best of the bunch. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened. 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Call me crazy but I don't think this is that amazing of a play. I think its a play probably all of the top QBs in this draft can make. Maye threw a left handed TD pass with people chasing him for crying out loud lol. I think McCarthy is talented but I don't think he should be a first round pick. I don't think he should be in this draft. I think he needed another year at a program that would allow him to show off his talents being his offenses main focus. I know there's things on film he shows that wow but I think he should sit for a year. Who knows though? I could be totally wrong and the draft is a total crapshoot and McCarthy ends up being the best of the bunch. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened. 

Pushing back again because I think there's high caliber established QBs in the league currently that cannot make this play.

31 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

The man retired Nick Saban for lord sakes 🤣🤣🤣

Money hungry (rightfully so) athletes did that.