The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Welp unless we win another game we are all but guaranteed Caleb Williams or Drake Maye if we want. Probably have to move up one with Arizona just to be certain but my guess is we’re going QB. 

Do you know how SOS works? Does it change with each team played?

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Not quite but I think if we lose out we pretty much have sewn up the third pick. The Pats still have the Jets. They’ll win that game. 

There is no guarantee the Pats beat the Jets. The Jets D is suffocating for any QB, let alone a young QB as we just witnessed yesterday. That game is a toss up. I hope the Pats win, but it's definitely not a guarantee.

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Welp unless we win another game we are all but guaranteed Caleb Williams or Drake Maye if we want. Probably have to move up one with Arizona just to be certain but my guess is we’re going QB. 

I think so too if we end up top 3. It will be a very interesting summer. I can see it going any number of ways in a competition between either of those young QBs vs Howell. I expect Howell to work his arse off this February and spring to improve on his flaws and to be a much more on schedule QB next training camp and preseason.

If this happens like I think, it will put a lot of pressure on the next coaching staff to decide which QB to start, the 3-year QB in Howell who was inconsistent but flashed as a first-year starter or the rookie who will very likely have the same issues that Howell had as a first-year NFL starter.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not. But here was the trade for the #3 last year (Texans and Cardinals) translated to a trade to a trade for #3 this year...

SAINTS RECEIVE:
Round 1, 2024: No. 3 
Round 4, 2024: No. 104

COMMANDERS RECEIVE:
Round 1, 2024: No. 12 
Round 2, 2024: No. 45 (was 33 for last year's trade so I think I'll toss in another pick)
Round 5, 2024: No. 147 (the extra pick)

Round 1, 2025
Round 3, 2025

That would be 6 picks in the top 67 (I moved up two slots in my mock to 65) this year... 2 first round, a second, and 2 third round picks next year. I'm sticking with Howell and stocking up this roster via a trade like that. If Howell doesn't work out, you have really nice ammo to move up and get your QB, big nasties in front of him, and depth via the draft and free agency at most all positions. 

Here's a mock for Ss and giggles... I overdid it on the offensive line. So, realistically, you add two OL via FA and draft two. So swap out on of these picks for another position of need. 

1.png

Edited by Skinsin2013
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I do think you're right. Really sad that there are artificial rules for new regimes though. 

Well the biggest issue is if they feel Howell isn’t their guy then there’s no guarantee they’ll be picking this high again so they most likely wont pass up the opportunity to take Maye or Williams. Rivera did the same thing and then it snowballed on him. So I just don’t see a new group not taking one of these two now so that they can trade back up for a lesser prospect next year. Just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Well the biggest issue is if they feel Howell isn’t their guy then there’s no guarantee they’ll be picking this high again so they most likely wont pass up the opportunity to take Maye or Williams. Rivera did the same thing and then it snowballed on him. So I just don’t see a new group not taking one of these two now so that they can trade back up for a lesser prospect next year. Just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. 

I have been thinking about SH the last few wks that is if SH is our guy. I think SH can be the guy he is just a middle of the road QB not a dynamic QB. So he needs alot of good talent around him like a good OL first of all. A good RB, TE you know surround him with some excellent talent. I think then we can be a good playoff team.

1 hour ago, 4209 said:

I have been thinking about SH the last few wks that is if SH is our guy. I think SH can be the guy he is just a middle of the road QB not a dynamic QB. So he needs alot of good talent around him like a good OL first of all. A good RB, TE you know surround him with some excellent talent. I think then we can be a good playoff team.

The problem is we have no clue what he is because we didn’t put him in a good position to develop. At least in my opinion. But at this point and now within serious striking distance of Maye or Williams you almost have to do it. The extra years of a rookie contract are pretty much worth it by themselves. It’s unfortunate as I really wanted this to work out but I’d be absolutely stunned if we finish with the 2nd or 3rd pick and don’t walk away with one of those two QBs. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 4

I concur. I am an OU grad so when Williams was at OU I always wished that we could have an opportunity to draft him. Yet here we are and now that opportunity is quite possible. I am not that familar with Maye. Saw him a few times but that's about it. Yes it is unfortunate that SH was in  this current situation. But lets see how the cards fall hopefully we can pick a  player that will be a difference maker. We need to get this pick right!!!!!!! What if the bears come to you @lavar703 and say hey are you interested in moving up to get Caleb that will allow them to get  Harrison to go alone with Fields. There many ifs here. Fields could also be headed to us. Well just have to see how this thing shakes out.

• Like 1