The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

9 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Also I don’t agree Daniels isn’t as good. They said the same thing about Lamar. No Daniels isn’t Lamar because he’s older so that’s miles and hits before a second deal piling up that changes the discussion. We actually saw Daniels elevate the talent on LSU. Last year I was talking up Nabers. Oh he’s a possession guy. Now he’s being talked about in the top 15. Daniel’s elevated that team. And yes he’s late. Because he’s read and go and he’s had to be at ASU. But he is a better player. He lost to Bama this year and was leading the hell out of that football team. Where was UNC? And that’s after Tez Walker came in and he’s a legit stud!!!

I don't agree that Daniels elevated the talent around him. The dude was pedestrian for four years and then landed on a team loaded with talent and took off. Where was UNC? Come on bro, all he had was Tez Walker and Nesbitt lol. He lost Phil Longo and his OL. That team without Maye is trash. There is absolutely no comparison to what Daniels was surrounded with versus Maye's supporting cast. This doesn't even take into account Daniels going into this season already having 40+ starts and being 23 playing against a bunch of teenagers. 

If we're going to compare Daniels and Maye we should do the comparison of what they were accomplishing as freshman and sophomores. Maye is far more advanced at this stage than Daniels was which tells me that in two years he could be even further ahead of Daniels. I think the ceiling is far higher with Maye than it is with Daniels.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

This is exactly the model I would like us to do. Make it so anyone can succeed, then find your guy. They drafted Trey Lance after trading a bunch of capital for him. They had Jimmy G. Brock Purdy is the guy for his offense. The beginning of their ascent started with trading for Trent Williams after Joe Staley retired. Build the offense and defensive line. Build the team up around the QB and then get your QB.

Brock Purdy being used as an example for building up a team before drafting a QB is kind of crazy. The 49ers just happened to luck out completely. Its not a case for building this way, its a total outlier. It reminds me of when Tom Brady came around and everyone was saying "just get your QB late like the Patriots did" like its a common thing. I mean, even the 49ers didn't believe anyone could succeed given they traded 3 picks to move up for Lance. I also believe it does a total disservice to how good Purdy actually is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I don't agree that Daniels elevated the talent around him. The dude was pedestrian for four years and then landed on a team loaded with talent and took off. Where was UNC? Come on bro, all he had was Tez Walker and Nesbitt lol. He lost Phil Longo and his OL. That team without Maye is trash. There is absolutely no comparison to what Daniels was surrounded with versus Maye's supporting cast. This doesn't even take into account Daniels going into this season already having 40+ starts and being 23 playing against a bunch of teenagers. 

If we're going to compare Daniels and Maye we should do the comparison of what they were accomplishing as freshman and sophomores. Maye is far more advanced at this stage than Daniels was which tells me that in two years he could be even further ahead of Daniels. I think the ceiling is far higher with Maye than it is with Daniels.

I’m actually comparing Maye and Daniel jones. But saying Maye is a better player than Daniels is legit crazy. Yes he went from a bad team. And LSU is a talented team. What was there record last year without him though? Same team. So to say Daniels didn’t elevate LSU you’re crazy. Look at the WR’s numbers the year before and this year he elevated LSU they were in the mix this year. Last year they weren’t.

i get everyone wants their QB of the future we made an exciting hire and everyone wants a Herbert Type after passing on him for Chase who busted. But Maye isn’t Herbert!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TKellion said:

Adding Harrison to McLaurin and Dotson is a very tempting prospect

I love he and Bowers they are legit unicorns. I think Bowers collectively improves the team more being able to block enough but being a beast through the air it’s a very hard choice. Harrison is a stud!!! The problem is this class is so loaded at WR your gonna have guys like Tez Walker in the second or 3rd. Rome Worthey Coleman  like this class is legit loaded. I think that’s another reason adding a Bowers would be more important because you can get a WR later that actually should be a first round talent normal years. Just to maximize return. Bowers would give this team something we haven’t had since Cooley and a healthy Jordan Reed.

44 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m actually comparing Maye and Daniel jones. But saying Maye is a better player than Daniels is legit crazy. Yes he went from a bad team. And LSU is a talented team. What was there record last year without him though? Same team. So to say Daniels didn’t elevate LSU you’re crazy. Look at the WR’s numbers the year before and this year he elevated LSU they were in the mix this year. Last year they weren’t.

i get everyone wants their QB of the future we made an exciting hire and everyone wants a Herbert Type after passing on him for Chase who busted. But Maye isn’t Herbert!!!

Jayden Daniels is a running Kellen Mond. Daniels is late in his reads, waits till receivers gets open most times to throw it to him and is inconsistent. He’s RG3 from the pocket.

Both he and Drake Maye need work, they need the same work, the difference is Drake Maye is 2 years younger & Maye is bigger and stronger with a stronger arm.

3 hours ago, TKellion said:

Adding Harrison to McLaurin and Dotson is a very tempting prospect

It is, but that’s trusting Howell to make a Kirk Cousins type jump like Kirk did from 2014 to 2015, it’s possible but a huge risk. What you are suggesting is similar to how Dan/Ron took a risk on Haskins in 2020 and passed on Tua & Herbert.

Just take the Qb at 2 and have Sam and the rookie battle it out.

Edited by turtle28

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I wish my QB put up Jayden Daniel's "pedestrian" 2022 numbers. 

Sam Howell put up similar passing numbers Jayden Daniels’s 2023 numbers as a freshman at UNC 🤷🏼‍♂️

Howell up better numbers than Jayden Daniels every year of his college career until Daniels was a 5th year senior at the age of 22 going on 23 which he turned a month ago.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Jayden Daniels started 14 games last year and threw 17 TD. This past season is a total outlier for Daniels. Like complete outlier. The other 4 years are extremely similar in production and then you had this season. I don't think Daniels is as good as Maye and I think its silly to say that's crazy. Maye is just far more talented as a passer in my opinion and was doing so without the benefit of 5* recruits all over the field with him. 

I won't even entertain the idea that Daniel Jones is similar to Maye. That's just absurd. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I wish my QB put up Jayden Daniel's "pedestrian" 2022 numbers. 

They're certainly pedestrian compared to what he did this year and why he went into the season looked at as a mid to late round pick. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Jayden Daniels started 14 games last year and threw 17 TD. This past season is a total outlier for Daniels. Like complete outlier. The other 4 years are extremely similar in production and then you had this season. I don't think Daniels is as good as Maye and I think its silly to say that's crazy. Maye is just far more talented as a passer in my opinion and was doing so without the benefit of 5* recruits all over the field with him. 

Yeah, this is where I'm at plus Maye isn't a run-first QB & Maye weighs 20 more pounds than Daniels at the least and Maye is 2 years younger. That's a big deal also. They're both pretty similar in their flaws but working with a QB who's 21 vs working with a QB who's 23 on those flaws is a big difference. 

Maye has the higher upside.

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They're certainly pedestrian compared to what he did this year and why he went into the season looked at as a mid to late round pick. 

He was still being called a mid round pick partially through the season.

I can't find the post, but I posted a crap ton of QBs who had a "big bump" going into their last year. It happens pretty often. The results were very much a mixed bag. 

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He played at ASU dude!!! They have turned out what QB prospect ever? Like he killed it for the players around him. Then you talk about playing with his 5 stars at LSU yes he killed it. Imagine if he had 2 years there.

Name one Mac Brown QB who didn’t put up good number? Maye hasn’t won any big games. Like we are falling in love at this forum with a Daniel Jones type for the number two pick. I’m not even saying take Daniels at 2 and people are bashing it because I think he’s actually great at something that relates to winning.

The truth is there’s one QB worth a top 5 pick in this class and he’s out of USC

Edited by ripsean21