Week 3: Dallas @ Arizona

WizardHawk

23 hours ago, D82 said:

Here are the top 16 QBs in pass attempts inside the 20 yard line:

PwncX6a.jpg

Notice that Dak leads the league with 24. Now consider that of these 16 QBs Dak ranks:

14th in completion %

15th in TDs/Att, 

13th in INTs/Att

14th in YPA

Here are the 6 QBs in the NFL that have double digit pass attempts inside the 10:

LIJRe2O.jpg

Of the 6 QBs, Dak ranks:

6th in completions

6th in completion %

6th in yards

T5th in TDs

T1st most picks

There is no “Mahomes, Dak, Allen tier.. “ 🛑STOP

On 9/25/2023 at 8:26 PM, The_Slamman said:

For all of the Dak supporters, I'm asking this as a serious question...   We all know that Jerry can't pay Dak $60+ million next year with $30+ million in dead cap space in 2025.  So, we have 2 options.  Make Dak a post June 1 cut next year or re-sign him in the range of what Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Hurtz just got.  

Our worst case scenario with cutting him is that we have to go the retread route with QBs like Tannehill, Mayfield, Darnold, Brissett, Minshew and Dobbs competing with Rush and Lance.  Maybe we even draft a QB to compete.

What benefit do we get from keeping Dak at nearly $60M per year over the retreads?  Is Dak REALLY $50M a year better?  From what I saw yesterday... Dobbs is more dangerous to a defense than Dak.  Dobbs was more accurate, better zip and far more athletic.  

I am a Dak realist. Many say I'm a supporter because I tend to defend him, but I only tend to defend him because most way over dramatize and exagerate any bad play he makes or good play he doesn't make, and make him out to sound like we were better off when we had Chad Hutchinson.

Now as a "supporter" (ahem, realist) I specifically am on record as saying he is NOT worth hand cuffing your team for the next 3 to 6 years with another gigantic contract.

Remember, he was paid what he was paid not because of what he had done already, but in the promise of what he very well could do. Not only is this typically the norm in the league, but exactly what Stephen has said himself. They thought he would continue to develop and become the next  perennial all pro, MVP candidate, super bowl winner. But he has not. This ship has completely sailed.

At this point in his career, there is no more discussion of "he is going to continue developing" like there was 4 or 5 years ago. There is no more questioning how good he could be one. Those questions are answered. And while he did not become what he was paid to(and many of us felt) eventually become, he also wasnt going out there playing like a complete waste of time either. The guy has multiple Cowboys passing records and is in the verge of owning many others. Part of this is because of the new passing emphasis via rule changes, but part of this is because he actually is pretty good.

But do you pay pretty good the kind of money a really good player gets? No. See, Mahomes not only shown you can pay him that money and lose out on other key assets (Tyreek Hill) because you can't afford them anymore, and still win. Hurts and Lamar are their respective teams. Good talent scattered about, but when Devonte Smith and AJ Brown both want the big bucks, and Hurts is wasting up 45% of the cap on his own, someone has to go - and Hurts, his playstyle - as with Lamar - gives you the pretty accurate notion that the receiver, or lineman, or whomever, is the one that has to go then. Because replacing them, while difficult, won't be as difficult as replacing your generational talent at QB.

Dak is not on that level. Can he take a good team and win games? Oh yeah. Can he make some tough throws, convert key downs, even survive some close calls at the end? For sure. Can he throw 4500 yards and 30 scores, keep his turnovers at an average pace, and lead your team? Yes!

But is he going to transcend those stats? Rise above just surviving those close calls and have the fans, and staff, already knowing that leaving Dak that 1:40 on the clock in a playoff game was a terrible idea for the other team? No. Is he going to throw to a string of 3rd to 6th round picks who make their minimums so he can make his maximum, and still lift the Lombardi trophy? No. 

See, that is the level of greatness that is worth handcuffing your salary cap for. Now if he wanted a more modest 30ish mil a year contract whichhumbly affords an extra 25 mil to lock up Parsons and Lamb? Sure, if pay him, because you can definitely win it all with a guy like him. But you can't win it all riding UPON him. And that is the difference between Dak and these others getting their huge paydays. And some of those guys are still even in the margin of, well, they really might not be what first glance suggested and might be closer to Dak than Mahomes. But that's a whole other topic..

In short, this is why, despite believing in Dak and thinking many of your are crazy for saying he just outright sucks anytime he throws a pick or the team loses, that I was also here begging on this forum for Malik Willis in round 2 last year. Levis in the first this year, or Hooker in the second. Or for a big move for Lance or Purdy. And why I was so excited when they actually did pull off the latter.

Not because Dak needs to go. But because if his contract demands are going to be the kind that make the team have to make tough decisions and cut/not retain great players because he wanted that extra 25, 30 million he didn't deserve....then it is time to start taking some dart throws at a potential replacement, or fingers crossed, an actual upgrade. At a more affordable and sensible cap hit.

/EndRationalLogicThatTicksOffForumUsers