'THE SUPER EARLY, WHY ARE WE DOING THIS IT'S ONLY WEEK 4' MOCK

Karnage84

47 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I will say this about this draft class right now:

1.  There could be a lot of very good QBs available this year.  The Lions already have Hendon Hooker but it could create a trade opportunity for a QB needy team

2.  The OT class is strong and with the number of quality QBs available a pretty good OT may drop to where the Lions will be drafting (hopefully later in Round 1)

3.  There are some solid guards available with some very good ones that could go in late Round 1.  

4. There aren't a lot of CBs that are rated to high right now but that could change.  There seem to be a bunch of CBs with second-round grades but they tend to rise

5.  The DT class has some solid prospects but no high-end alpha.  Maasen Smith could rise though.

It is tough to say where this draft class lands in February but it seems to align with the Lions needs.  Especially at OT.

QB's: The draft class seems like it's going to be fairly deep at the present time. However, it looks like there's going to be a ton of demand and it's unlikely that demand will be met. 

Going through the divisions:

• AFCE: NYJ, NE (Maybe)
  • AFCN: N/A
  • AFCS: TEN (Maybe)
  • AFCW: LV, DEN
  • NFCE: WAS (Maybe)
  • NFCN: MIN, CHI (Maybe)
  • NFCS: ATL, TB
  • NFCW: ARI (Maybe), SEA (Maybe)

We have about 6 teams (Jets, Raiders, Broncos, Vikings, Falcons, Bucs) that should be looking at their QBOTF. We have another 6 teams (Pats, Titans, Commanders, Bears, Cardinals, Seahawks) that could also be looking at replacing their current signal caller. Two of those teams (Bears and Cardinals) have two picks in round 1. 

Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are currently in the 1st round discussion while guys like Bo Nix, Michael Penix, JJ McCarthy, Quinn Ewers, Sam Hartman, Jordan Travis all could play themselves into the mix. Even if all of these guys wound up being 1st round - early 2nd round prospects, that's still only 8 guys out of the 12 (which doesn't include some big surprise team either). 

There aren't a ton of FA guys either - Kirk Cousins and Ryan Tannehill are the two big-name guys. 

OT/OG: This is where I'd like for us to draft that future LT or RT, plug in at RG and have that transition plan to get away from Decker in a year or so. We'd also need to see where Sorsdal is at but I also wouldn't be opposed to adding a versatile OG/OC later on as a depth piece and to be Ragnow insurance. Continue to add to the trenches. 

CB's: It'll be interesting to see this shake out. When I'm doing mocks and then reading up on scouting reports, I don't see too many guys flashing that "we need to have him" type of skillsets. However, I don't want to hold it off for too long. 

DT: We might not need to add here at all but I'd still like to lean in that direction for the time being. 

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

QB's: The draft class seems like it's going to be fairly deep at the present time. However, it looks like there's going to be a ton of demand and it's unlikely that demand will be met. 

Going through the divisions:

• AFCE: NYJ, NE (Maybe)
  • AFCN: N/A
  • AFCS: TEN (Maybe)
  • AFCW: LV, DEN
  • NFCE: WAS (Maybe)
  • NFCN: MIN, CHI (Maybe)
  • NFCS: ATL, TB
  • NFCW: ARI (Maybe), SEA (Maybe)

We have about 6 teams (Jets, Raiders, Broncos, Vikings, Falcons, Bucs) that should be looking at their QBOTF. We have another 6 teams (Pats, Titans, Commanders, Bears, Cardinals, Seahawks) that could also be looking at replacing their current signal caller. Two of those teams (Bears and Cardinals) have two picks in round 1. 

Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are currently in the 1st round discussion while guys like Bo Nix, Michael Penix, JJ McCarthy, Quinn Ewers, Sam Hartman, Jordan Travis all could play themselves into the mix. Even if all of these guys wound up being 1st round - early 2nd round prospects, that's still only 8 guys out of the 12 (which doesn't include some big surprise team either). 

There aren't a ton of FA guys either - Kirk Cousins and Ryan Tannehill are the two big-name guys. 

OT/OG: This is where I'd like for us to draft that future LT or RT, plug in at RG and have that transition plan to get away from Decker in a year or so. We'd also need to see where Sorsdal is at but I also wouldn't be opposed to adding a versatile OG/OC later on as a depth piece and to be Ragnow insurance. Continue to add to the trenches. 

CB's: It'll be interesting to see this shake out. When I'm doing mocks and then reading up on scouting reports, I don't see too many guys flashing that "we need to have him" type of skillsets. However, I don't want to hold it off for too long. 

DT: We might not need to add here at all but I'd still like to lean in that direction for the time being. 

Every QB taken ahead of where the Lions are drafting leaves another player at a different position who may drop.  I suspect there are a lot of teams who, in hindsight, would have no problem drafting Brian Branch and Sam LaPorta ahead of where they were taken.  Heck, I am pretty sure the a lot of teams are watching Christian Gonzalez and wondering what they were thinking (Green Bay at 13 for example).  These unexplained slides happen every year.  Hopefully the strong demand for QBs along with some other elements put the Lions in a position to take a really good player who slides due to draft day insanity.

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

More feedback reinforcing the strong O-Line class.  They don't even talk about Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu.  This lines up with the current needs of the Lions perfectly.

https://walterfootball.com/nfl-hot-press-teams-see-a-superb-ol-class-in-2024-nfl-draft.php

Which is perfect for us to draft Deckers replacement early. 

• Like 3

On 9/27/2023 at 2:00 PM, Karnage84 said:

Always add at the DT position. Rotating high(er) caliber DT's will negate an OL advantage. I think you can overstock certain positions, but I don't think DT is one of them because of the rotational value. Very low on diminishing returns IMO. This doesn't necessarily mean first rounders time in and time out, but if you have a good looking DT fall to you at any spot, I believe it unwise to pass on them. Imagine what this team would look like right now if we didn't do that the last two years in the first?

To me, this is the difference between being good enough and dominant. I want to dominate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Always add at the DT position. Rotating high(er) caliber DT's will negate an OL advantage. I think you can overstock certain positions, but I don't think DT is one of them because of the rotational value. Very low on diminishing returns IMO. This doesn't necessarily mean first rounders time in and time out, but if you have a good looking DT fall to you at any spot, I believe it unwise to pass on them. Imagine what this team would look like right now if we didn't do that the last two years in the first?

To me, this is the difference between being good enough and dominant. I want to dominate.

Also, besides Alim, I believe we have no contributing IDL signed long term. It’s definitely a need. We cannot continue to neglect the position. 

• Like 1

This is super super early. However, it's Monday... we have almost a week to go before the Lions play the Panthers... it can't hurt to look ahead. 

WR2/WR3

The Lions are lacking a big body WR opposite of ARSB and (hopefully) Jamo. We've drafted Antoine Green but he hasn't broken out as a viable option for us. 

An intriguing later-round guy on my radar is Julian Fleming of Ohio State. 

• Size: 6'2, 210 lbs
  • 40: 4.35 (according to NFL Draft Buzz
  • Drops: 3 in career (82.7 drop grade) (0 drops in 2023)
  • Receiving: 62.7% career (68.4% for 2023)
  • Run Block: 89.9 
  • Y/REC: 15.9 (2022 with Stroud)
  • TD's: 6 (2022 with Stroud)

He's always been the 3rd or 4th WR at OSU. The Lions are going to place a premium on run blocking and having reliable hands. Fleming offers a nice combination of size/speed that we don't really have. 

We have a very long way to go but I'm going to start checking out some guys that would fulfill some gaps that we have and start keeping an eye on them. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

This is super super early. However, it's Monday... we have almost a week to go before the Lions play the Panthers... it can't hurt to look ahead. 

WR2/WR3

The Lions are lacking a big body WR opposite of ARSB and (hopefully) Jamo. We've drafted Antoine Green but he hasn't broken out as a viable option for us. 

An intriguing later-round guy on my radar is Julian Fleming of Ohio State. 

• Size: 6'2, 210 lbs
  • 40: 4.35 (according to NFL Draft Buzz
  • Drops: 3 in career (82.7 drop grade) (0 drops in 2023)
  • Receiving: 62.7% career (68.4% for 2023)
  • Run Block: 89.9 
  • Y/REC: 15.9 (2022 with Stroud)
  • TD's: 6 (2022 with Stroud)

He's always been the 3rd or 4th WR at OSU. The Lions are going to place a premium on run blocking and having reliable hands. Fleming offers a nice combination of size/speed that we don't really have. 

We have a very long way to go but I'm going to start checking out some guys that would fulfill some gaps that we have and start keeping an eye on them. 

Hopefully, he could be the Lions version of Terry McLaurin.  

My “unrealistic but hey, he was there so I took him” mock

33.NFL-team-logo
Troy FranklinWR Oregon
trade-icon
57.NFL-team-logo
Kris JenkinsDT Michigan
65.NFL-team-logo
Max MeltonCB Rutgers
trade-icon
74.NFL-team-logo
Jordan MorganOT Arizona
89.NFL-team-logo
Keon ColemanWR Florida
153.NFL-team-logo
Tanor BortoliniOG Wisconsin
217.NFL-team-logo
K.J. JeffersonQB Arkansas

22 minutes ago, Miblue said:

33.NFL-team-logo
Troy FranklinWR Oregon
trade-icon
57.NFL-team-logo
Kris JenkinsDT Michigan
65.NFL-team-logo
Max MeltonCB Rutgers
trade-icon
74.NFL-team-logo
Jordan MorganOT Arizona
89.NFL-team-logo
Keon ColemanWR Florida
153.NFL-team-logo
217.NFL-team-logo

Which site did you use?

40 minutes ago, Miblue said:

33.NFL-team-logo
Troy FranklinWR Oregon
trade-icon
57.NFL-team-logo
Kris JenkinsDT Michigan
65.NFL-team-logo
Max MeltonCB Rutgers
trade-icon
74.NFL-team-logo
Jordan MorganOT Arizona
89.NFL-team-logo
Keon ColemanWR Florida
153.NFL-team-logo
217.NFL-team-logo

I think I found the one (based on the red graphics). 

Franklin is probably ranked where he'll go (late 1st to 2nd). Coleman is vastly undervalued here and is going to be in the same range as Franklin IMO. 

As much as I liked KJ last year, he's going to have a tough go if things keep going the way they have so far. I've checked out his stats week to week and they haven't been pretty.