'THE SUPER EARLY, WHY ARE WE DOING THIS IT'S ONLY WEEK 4' MOCK

Karnage84

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/lists/detroit-lions-2024-nfl-mock-draft-projections/

Quinyon Mitchell, Toledo

If you watch any #MACtion, you likely know about Mitchell already. He’s been the conference’s best prospect from the start of the offseason. A 6-foot, 196-pound outside corner with a documented 4.34 40-yard dash time and GPS timing by the program over 22 MPH, the physical tools are clearly there.

Mitchell has always had the ball skills and the confidence in his game. In 2023, he’s improved his reactions and vision when he’s not the targeted cornerback. Mitchell is a pretty strong run defender who is not easy to block. He does still have the occasional gambler’s misses in coverage; think Darius Slay, who is my early working comparison for Mitchell.

The Lions have already had two different members of the scouting staff check out the Rockets’ standout.

A "WE'RE 5-1... WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT NEXT YEAR'S DRAFT" EDITION. 5 ROUND EDITION

To set the stage:

Chicago: Bears trade Justin Fields to Atlanta for a 2nd and a 2025 3rd. There's a new coaching regime in Chicago and they get their QBOTF at #1 overall in Caleb Williams. Bears use the pick obtained from Carolina to acquire more draft capital and trade down to #3 from #2 (Marvin Harrison Jr). 

Minnesota: Bo Nix out of Oregon is selected at pick #7. The Vikings are in rebuild mode and hope they've acquired their guy for the long-term. Kirk Cousins' time in Minnesota is over. 

New England: The Patriots trade Mac Jones to Las Vegas for a 3rd and 5th. Jones' best time was under Josh McDaniel's and he's now reunited with a change in scenery. The Patriots select Michael Penix who has risen up to be the QB3 in this class. Bill Bellichick is back as the HC but Robert Kraft has added a proper GM so that BB can focus on coaching at this stage.  

LA Chargers: Ben Johnson is hired as the HC. He's paired with Herbert, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Quentin Johnson, Ekeler, etc. to compete against the Chiefs in a tough division. 

LIONS TEAM NEEDS: OG, OT, WR(X), DE, DT, CB, S

Lions trade pick #30 (Lions win the divisional round, lose the NFC championship game to the Eagles) to the Panthers (they draft Xavier Worthy) for #33, #101

#33 Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina: A big body WR with speed, he plays in a similar style to Deebo Samuel. He has the body and skillset of a true X WR but also offers up a bit more versatility for our new OC. 

#62 Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo: A draft riser, Mitchell is probably not going to be available here when all is said and done. He's getting Slay comps. Mitchell should compete for the CB2 position with Jerry Jacobs and eventually take over opposite of Cam Sutton. 

#71 Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan: A future long term starter at RG. He's going to be a road grader and should help solidify the middle of our OL.

#93 Harold Cross, Edge, Notre Dame: A somewhat undersized (6'1, 288) game wrecker. He should be a factor early opposite of Hutchinson playing the closed edge position. 

#101 Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame: Two Golden Domers back-to-back is unexpected. Fisher is a decent OL prospect that has principally played RT. This would be on the assumption that Sewell would move to LT when Decker retires or is released.

130 Lathan Ransom, S, Ohio State: I'm not certain if Will Harris will be brought back and with the way that we've been dealing with injuries, depth in the secondary is essential. Ransom has been solid in coverage and the run, offers good size (6'1, 210) and has played SCB, FS, SS and NLB. 

167 Fentrell Cyprus, Florida State: A tough nosed CB with good tools. He's a depth piece that can develop into a role player. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

A "WE'RE 5-1... WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT NEXT YEAR'S DRAFT" EDITION. 5 ROUND EDITION

To set the stage:

Chicago: Bears trade Justin Fields to Atlanta for a 2nd and a 2025 3rd. There's a new coaching regime in Chicago and they get their QBOTF at #1 overall in Caleb Williams. Bears use the pick obtained from Carolina to acquire more draft capital and trade down to #3 from #2 (Marvin Harrison Jr). 

Minnesota: Bo Nix out of Oregon is selected at pick #7. The Vikings are in rebuild mode and hope they've acquired their guy for the long-term. Kirk Cousins' time in Minnesota is over. 

New England: The Patriots trade Mac Jones to Las Vegas for a 3rd and 5th. Jones' best time was under Josh McDaniel's and he's now reunited with a change in scenery. The Patriots select Michael Penix who has risen up to be the QB3 in this class. Bill Bellichick is back as the HC but Robert Kraft has added a proper GM so that BB can focus on coaching at this stage.  

LA Chargers: Ben Johnson is hired as the HC. He's paired with Herbert, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Quentin Johnson, Ekeler, etc. to compete against the Chiefs in a tough division. 

Lions trade pick #30 (Lions win the divisional round, lose the NFC championship game to the Eagles) to the Panthers (they draft Xavier Worthy) for #33, #101

#33 Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina: A big body WR with speed, he plays in a similar style to Deebo Samuel. He has the body and skillset of a true X WR but also offers up a bit more versatility for our new OC. 

#62 Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo: A draft riser, Mitchell is probably not going to be available here when all is said and done. He's getting Slay comps. Mitchell should compete for the CB2 position with Jerry Jacobs and eventually take over opposite of Cam Sutton. 

#71 Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan: A future long term starter at RG. He's going to be a road grader and should help solidify the middle of our OL.

#93 Harold Cross, Edge, Notre Dame: A somewhat undersized (6'1, 288) game wrecker. He should be a factor early opposite of Hutchinson playing the closed edge position. 

#101 Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame: Two Golden Domers back-to-back is unexpected. Fisher is a decent OL prospect that has principally played RT. This would be on the assumption that Sewell would move to LT when Decker retires or is released.

130 Lathan Ransom, S, Ohio State: I'm not certain if Will Harris will be brought back and with the way that we've been dealing with injuries, depth in the secondary is essential. Ransom has been solid in coverage and the run, offers good size (6'1, 210) and has played SCB, FS, SS and NLB. 

167 Fentrell Cyprus, Florida State: A tough nosed CB with good tools. He's a depth piece that can develop into a role player. 

OFFENSE

• QB: Goff, Hooker
  • RB: Montgomery, Gibbs
  • LWR: Legette, Reynolds, Green
  • SWR: ARSB, Raymond
  • RWR: Williams
  • TE: LaPorta, 
  • LT: Decker
  • LG: Jackson
  • OC: Ragnow
  • RG: Zinter, Glasgow
  • RT: Sewell, Fisher

DEFENSE

• DE: Paschal, Cominsky, Cross
  • DT: McNeill
  • NT: Jones, Buggs
  • EDGE: Hutchinson,
  • MLB: Campbell, Barnes
  • WLB: Anzalone, Rodriguez
  • LCB: Sutton, Cyprus
  • SCB: Branch, Ransom
  • RCB: Mitchell, Jacobs
  • SS: Gardner-Johnson, Melifonwu
  • FS: Joseph, Walker

Notes: 

Two starters on offense; one starter on defense (this is what happens when you have a good roster). 

Key re-signings: Lions bring back Jonah Jackson and Gardner-Johnson. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 10:29 AM, Karnage84 said:

To set the stage:

If they don't address defense early I'd be upset. 

WR with first pick is ugh 

4 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Aren't you the one running Jamo out of town if he could fetch a pick? Need a WR if that's the case.

It is still early in the season but the two things the Lions will have to get two things done during the next off-season:

1.  Find a LT to replace Taylor Decker.  Penei Sewell is a great RT but with a draft this deep in OTs the Lions should probably draft a LT rather than move Penei Sewell

2.  Add a young CB to the roster through the draft.

It seems like the latter part of Round 1 along with Rounds 2 and 3 should give them the chance to do that.  Given the fact that a lot players drafted in late Rd 1 have a 2d round grade, I could see the Lions trading back into the early part of Round 2 to pick up extra draft capital.

I'm good if we go with receiver. I'm currently really into Keon Coleman. That's not really saying much I guess.

I don't know much about Legette yet but that's about where he's currently being projected. Apparently he's 6'3" 225 right now. AJ Brown is 6'1" 227.

Edited by nagahide13

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

I'm good if we go with receiver. I'm currently really into Keon Coleman. That's not really saying much I guess.

I don't know much about Legette yet but that's about where he's currently being projected. Apparently he's 6'3" 225 right now. AJ Brown is 6'1" 227.

I think Coleman goes super high and spending that kind of pick on another offensive talent would disgust me.  Jamo, Gibbs, Laporta all top offensive picks last couple years.  So far Laporta is a hit but the rest we are unsure on.  Jamo leaning more towards bust at moment with plenty of time to change minds.  Gibbs it is too early to know

2 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

I think Coleman goes super high and spending that kind of pick on another offensive talent would disgust me.  Jamo, Gibbs, Laporta all top offensive picks last couple years.  So far Laporta is a hit but the rest we are unsure on.  Jamo leaning more towards bust at moment with plenty of time to change minds.  Gibbs it is too early to know

Let me preface by saying, I perfer big uglies on both sides, then defense. Skill positions on offense are second fiddle to me. With that being said, if Coleman is the bpa then so be it. There could be worse things. I'd rather take a bpa of WR, then reach for a defensive player (which I know you're not suggesting). My biggest thing is the last two first round offensive players we took I don't believe to be bpa. Most intriguing, maybe. Highest ceiling, maybe. But bpa, no I don't think so.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2023 at 11:42 PM, detfan782004 said:

They aren't going to move him. I would. 

I'd consider including Jamo in a deal with Carolina

Burns, Chark and Donte 

for 

Jamo, Julian and some draft capital. I think they're trying to be patient with him but if they can address our issues, add players that can make an impact and not compromise our future - they'd at least have to listen. 

Chark does offer up size, speed and familiarity. We'd still need to add another WR. Burns would immediately upgrade our pass rush. Donte should be a decent CB2. 

11 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd consider including Jamo in a deal with Carolina

Burns, Chark and Donte 

for 

Jamo, Julian and some draft capital. I think they're trying to be patient with him but if they can address our issues, add players that can make an impact and not compromise our future - they'd at least have to listen. 

Chark does offer up size, speed and familiarity. We'd still need to add another WR. Burns would immediately upgrade our pass rush. Donte should be a decent CB2. 

For what I have read, Brian Burns isn't being moved by the Panthers.  The way the Panthers have handled the situation is kind of ham-fisted but apparently he is staying in Carolina.

Edited by Just Want A Title

Just did a mock draft trying to attack some of our biggest weaknesses.  Starting to find guys I like a lot that are significantly lower on some rankings than others and I think they will rise up similar to Witherspoon last year. I did this on PFN but fully expect a lot of these guys to be top 2/3 round picks when all is said and done. 

Trade: Pick 29 for pick 33 and 129.  

Pick 33: Leonard Taylor, DT Miami - Likely will be gone by this point but adding a pass rushing DT is huge.  We need better play next to Alim and its time to move on from Levi.  

Pick 62: Bralen Trice, Edge Washington - I highly doubt he is here in real life.  He is someone I think we will target with our first if he is still there at that point.  A big edge rusher who plays the run well, has 28 QB hurries this year and had 48 last year.  His sack numbers are down a little so maybe he drops but his talent is still apparent. 

Pick 84: Kyhree Jackson, CB Oregon - A solid young CB to add to the talent we lack there.  Time to move on from Will Harris and who knows with Mosely.  

Pick 97: Patrick Paul, OT Houston - He has given up one sack in 951 pass blocking snaps the last two years.  Last year he allowed 14 hurries, this year only 1 so far through 8 games played.  Thats insane and he is also someone I think we might look at in round 1 with the thought of moving him to OG until Decker is gone.  Or moving on from Decker. 

Pick 129:  Kiran Amegadjie, OT Yale - Another OT but we need depth there.  When our tackles go down, our line struggles more than when our interior goes down.  Obviously he is at a small school and similar to Sorsdal may have ot move to OG but he could also be a depth OG/OT which helps even more.  He has allowed one sack in three years at Yale (also should be pretty smart) and 18 hurries in 850+ pass blocking snaps.  At 6'5" 318 he has good size for a tackle and should be a solid backup.  When all is said and done I think he is a 3rd round pick and we may have to move early to get him. 

Pick 157: T.J. Tampa, CB Iowa St. - This is the one I think is this years Devon Witherspoon.  Maybe not moving quite that high so maybe Isiah McDuffie is a better comp.  He has got better each year and is currently allowing a 47.0 passer rating when throwing at him while allowing 16 catches on 33 targets for 156 yards.  Thats pretty lock down IMO.  Will be interesting to get the detail of man vs zone at the end of the year when we work with Karnage on the draft boards. 

Pick 190: Brenden Rice, WR USC - At 6'3" 210 he has great size and is a TD machine at USC.  He is averaging 17+ yards per catch so he is the guy we all are hoping Jamo is.  Again he will likely go higher than this but if not, lets reunite him with ARSB. 

Pick 221: Shemar Turner, EDGE/DT Texas A&M - Might be more of a DT for us at 6'4" 290 but has some pass rush ability and stronger against the run.  We like guys who can play both and despite his size, he can move around.  We may get him to drop 10 lbs and be a solid 280 lb edge or a small DT for pass downs.  

This draft would make me excited especially if we can keep CJGJ in free agency.  Depending on what happens with our free agents we just need a couple more depth holes plugged with free agents and I think we are rolling.  

On 10/31/2023 at 11:27 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

Just did a mock draft trying to attack some of our biggest weaknesses.  Starting to find guys I like a lot that are significantly lower on some rankings than others and I think they will rise up similar to Witherspoon last year. I did this on PFN but fully expect a lot of these guys to be top 2/3 round picks when all is said and done. 

Trade: Pick 29 for pick 33 and 129.  

Pick 33: Leonard Taylor, DT Miami - Likely will be gone by this point but adding a pass rushing DT is huge.  We need better play next to Alim and its time to move on from Levi.  

Pick 62: Bralen Trice, Edge Washington - I highly doubt he is here in real life.  He is someone I think we will target with our first if he is still there at that point.  A big edge rusher who plays the run well, has 28 QB hurries this year and had 48 last year.  His sack numbers are down a little so maybe he drops but his talent is still apparent. 

Pick 84: Kyhree Jackson, CB Oregon - A solid young CB to add to the talent we lack there.  Time to move on from Will Harris and who knows with Mosely.  

Pick 97: Patrick Paul, OT Houston - He has given up one sack in 951 pass blocking snaps the last two years.  Last year he allowed 14 hurries, this year only 1 so far through 8 games played.  Thats insane and he is also someone I think we might look at in round 1 with the thought of moving him to OG until Decker is gone.  Or moving on from Decker. 

Pick 129:  Kiran Amegadjie, OT Yale - Another OT but we need depth there.  When our tackles go down, our line struggles more than when our interior goes down.  Obviously he is at a small school and similar to Sorsdal may have ot move to OG but he could also be a depth OG/OT which helps even more.  He has allowed one sack in three years at Yale (also should be pretty smart) and 18 hurries in 850+ pass blocking snaps.  At 6'5" 318 he has good size for a tackle and should be a solid backup.  When all is said and done I think he is a 3rd round pick and we may have to move early to get him. 

Pick 157: T.J. Tampa, CB Iowa St. - This is the one I think is this years Devon Witherspoon.  Maybe not moving quite that high so maybe Isiah McDuffie is a better comp.  He has got better each year and is currently allowing a 47.0 passer rating when throwing at him while allowing 16 catches on 33 targets for 156 yards.  Thats pretty lock down IMO.  Will be interesting to get the detail of man vs zone at the end of the year when we work with Karnage on the draft boards. 

Pick 190: Brenden Rice, WR USC - At 6'3" 210 he has great size and is a TD machine at USC.  He is averaging 17+ yards per catch so he is the guy we all are hoping Jamo is.  Again he will likely go higher than this but if not, lets reunite him with ARSB. 

Pick 221: Shemar Turner, EDGE/DT Texas A&M - Might be more of a DT for us at 6'4" 290 but has some pass rush ability and stronger against the run.  We like guys who can play both and despite his size, he can move around.  We may get him to drop 10 lbs and be a solid 280 lb edge or a small DT for pass downs.  

This draft would make me excited especially if we can keep CJGJ in free agency.  Depending on what happens with our free agents we just need a couple more depth holes plugged with free agents and I think we are rolling.  

A quick post-trade deadline mock. 

#30 - Josh Newton, CB, TCU

#61 - Mekhi Wingo, DT/DE, LSU

#84 - Sedrick Van Pran, OC/OG, Georgia

#93 - Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

#129 - Christian Haynes, OG, Connecticut

#166 - Julian Fleming, WR, Ohio State

Newton is going to start opposite of Sutton and is a future CB1. Wingo is a closed end edge guy that can also play inside. SVP is set to play RG but can be played at OC at a high level. Mitchell likely won't be here but we're adding more depth to the position. Haynes can compete at either guard spot and gives us Jonah insurance. Fleming is giving me Scary Terry vibes and could rise in the draft process. He offers up good size and skills as a future X.