In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

On 8/19/2024 at 10:28 AM, SemperFeist said:

Anyone who paid even the slightest attention to Flores’ exit from Miami shouldn’t find any of Tua’s comments surprising. 

And it’s why I’m not worried about losing Flores as the DC. 

Do I find them surprising?  No, but it's utterly classless and shows a tremendous insecurity to talk about it in public.  And having watched Tua play that WC game in the cold in KC gives some justification to it.  Maybe Flores didn't handle him correctly, but Tua should have just taken the high road and leave it in the past where it belongs.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Harrison Smith said the arrival of Defensive Coordinator Brian Flores has been awesome. Smith used the words "exotic" and "liberating" to describe Flores' scheme, which features so many calls but is based on logic.

Smith: "He's not a rah-rah guy but he's an intense guy without having to do that, which I think is a sweet spot that's hard to find."

https://www.vikings.com/news/harrison-smith-green-light-podcast-chris-long-beau-allen

On Monday, a biting and critical assessment of former Dolphins coach Brian Flores emerged, courtesy of current Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. On Tuesday, Flores addressed the situation during a session with reporters in his job as defensive coordinator of the Vikings. In a show of support, two players accompanied Flores to start the press conference — defensive tackle Harrison Phillips and safety Josh Metellus.

Flores: “I think, you know, part of coaching is correcting, you know, I’m always gonna correct. I’m always gonna have a high standard. And I think, you know, look, I’ve done a lot of reflecting and — on this situation, reflecting on the situation, communication, you know, I think there’s things that I could do better, for sure. And I’ve grown in that way. And I’ve tried to apply the things that I can do better and the things that I’ve learned over the last 2-3 years. But I would say over the long haul I’ve had a lot of great relationships over my 21-year career here in the league. Players, coaches, personnel, equipment, you know, people in the kitchen, really across the board. I’ve had a lot of great relationships. I’m going to continue to do that. But I’m also always looking to get better and evolve.”

“Look, I’m human. So, you know, that hit me in a way that wasn’t — I wouldn’t say it was positive for me. But at the same time, I’ve got to use that and say, ‘Hey, how can I grow from that? How can I be better?’ And that’s really where I’m at from that standpoint. Do I feel like that’s me? No. But, you know, how can I grow from that situation and create a world where that’s not, you know, the case that anyone says that about Brian Flores.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/brian-flores-on-tua-ive-done-a-lot-of-reflecting-on-the-situation-theres-things-i-could-do-better

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

Do I find them surprising?  No, but it's utterly classless and shows a tremendous insecurity to talk about it in public.  And having watched Tua play that WC game in the cold in KC gives some justification to it.  Maybe Flores didn't handle him correctly, but Tua should have just taken the high road and leave it in the past where it belongs.

There’s always two sides to a story, but if that’s how Tua felt, I don’t think he should be obligated to hide it.

• Like 1

Don’t think Flores is a bad coach at all, might have been “ineffective” versus a “terrible person” regardless I feel it was more of that Belichik “I am a hammer and everyone else is a nail” philosophy.  I am sure Flores has grown as a coach but there is nothing I ever saw that made me think he was a “terrible person” nor  do I think that was really the point Tua was trying to make.  I have no issue with Tua addressing it, he went through it and is entitled to his view point and didn’t give a boring answer. Flores also, I felt handled it with class. He didn’t make excuses acknowledged things could be done differently.  He will undoubtably get another head coaching gig. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

Don’t think Flores is a bad coach at all, might have been “ineffective” versus a “terrible person” regardless I feel it was more of that Belichik “I am a hammer and everyone else is a nail” philosophy.  I am sure Flores has grown as a coach but there is nothing I ever saw that made me think he was a “terrible person” nor  do I think that was really the point Tua was trying to make.  I have no issue with Tua addressing it, he went through it and is entitled to his view point and didn’t give a boring answer. Flores also, I felt handled it with class. He didn’t make excuses acknowledged things could be done differently.  He will undoubtably get another head coaching gig. 

Agreed, and really Flores is a defensive guy so yeah he is not some QB whisperer or something.  In New England the QB was not above anyone else even if it was Tom Brady.  But Tom Brady could be obviously coached very hard and "tough" and did wonderful with that type of coaching.  Tua not so much, but ultimately Tua and the Dolphins will have to always answer the question of can they win in the playoffs during cold weather games.  That has everything to do with toughness mentally and physically.  Dolphins better play great this season so they never are on the road in the playoffs, because if they play the Chiefs, Ravens, Bills, Browns, Jets etc outside in cold weather during the playoffs, it might not be good.

And I am sure Flores wanted certain comments to Tua to come across as joking or giving him a hard time but clearly Tua did not take it that way.  But honestly it does not really matter because fact is he was never healthy when Brian Flores was the coach on the Dolphins.  Heck he has never played a full season till last year.

Flores handled the comments well and I agree he should get another coaching gig, but with this out there and if teams think he is some poison to a QB, sadly no way will he ever get hired again as a head coach.  Honestly though he should have been hired this past off season as a head coach and for sure should be a head coach in the 2025 season.    

I have no doubt that Flo modeled his part of relating to his QB on Bill Belichick.  Brady and Belichick is a situation that in likely to never be repeated. Also, as Brady became Brady he gave Belichick as much he'll as Belichick gave him.  

Flores learned that he's not Bill Belichick and Tua was not Tom Brady.  Flores handled the remarks of Tua with class and humility.  He learned from the experience. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

There’s always two sides to a story, but if that’s how Tua felt, I don’t think he should be obligated to hide it.

There's never anything positive to be gained by airing your grievances with an individual in public.  That's the other truth in addition to nothing ever good happening after midnight. 

Edited by swede700

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

There's never anything positive to be gained by airing your grievances with an individual in public.  That's the other truth in addition to nothing ever good happening after midnight. 

It depends. If it's an issue of competence or disagreement, that can be kept to yourself, but I feel differently about abusive behavior. That should be called out.

Edited by Worm Guts

1 hour ago, Worm Guts said:

It depends. If it's an issue of competence or disagreement, that can be kept to yourself, but I feel differently about abusive behavior. That should be called out.

Yes, I can go "back in the day" and say that was the norm and I don't really consider it abusive.  Did it make it right?  No.  But that doesn't change my opinion.  It's these types of things that make me really do think these younger generations are a little too soft and sensitive.  🤣 😉 

While he was addressing his comments, Flores was backed by the best people imaginable, his current players. Players Harrison Phillips and Joshua Metellus stood behind Flores during his session, and then Andrew Van Ginkel went to bat for him later in the day.

Van Ginkel: “He’s the reason I’m the player that I am today, I’m just going to leave Tua’s comments to himself. I wouldn’t be here without Flo at this point in my career.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/21/vikings-lb-andrew-van-ginkel-gives-dc-brian-flores-the-ultimate-compliment

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Minnesota's defense also features plenty of newcomers who joined the team via free agency or the draft.

Pat Jones II is the only returnee among 2023 outside linebackers. He's been joined by veterans Jonathan Greenard, Andrew Van Ginkel, former Giant Jihad Ward and first-round pick Dallas Turner, likely diversifying Brian Flores' plans of attack.

Ivan Pace, Jr., is ready for his second pro season on the inside and has been joined by newcomers Blake Cashman and Kamu Grugier-Hill.

The Vikings cornerbacks room has experienced continuous changes throughout the offseason. The most recent addition, Stephon Gilmore, along with Shaq Griffin and Fabian Moreau, have added 360 regular-season games of experience to a room that had limited experience entering 2023.

Flores: "I like the group. We're still kind of coming together. There's a lot of new faces there over the course of training camp with Fabian coming in, and then 'Gilly' coming in, Shaq going down and coming back, so there's still a little bit of putting those pieces together, working some of the communication that happens in the back end, along with the safety group we've got."

https://www.vikings.com/news/giants-week-1-game-preview-2024

When Harrison Smith and Stephon Gilmore take the field for Minnesota's defense Sunday, they'll bring 24 combined seasons of NFL experience.

They collectively have 341 career games (333 starts), 11 Pro Bowls, three First-Team All-Pro honors and an NFL Defensive Player of the Year award entering the 2024 season.

Oh, and get this … 

According to Stats Perform, this will mark just the third instance since 1920 where a pair of defensive back teammates enter the season each having five-plus Pro Bowls and at least 165 career games to their name.

Smith and Gilmore exchanged surprised glances with one another after learning the niche stat.

"How do you even find a stat like that?" Smith laughed, sitting beside Gilmore following the Vikings Wednesday afternoon practice.

"Oh – one of the others was Darrell Green and Deion, right?"

Leave it to Smith to nail that.

https://www.vikings.com/news/harrison-smith-stephon-gilmore-unique-duo-24-combined-seasons

• Like 1

The Vikings recorded five sacks on the day versus the NY Giants.

In addition to Van Ginkel's, Pat Jones II recorded 2.0, and Harrison Phillips and first-round pick Dallas Turner each recorded 1.0.

The Vikings defense limited the Giants to 240 net yards and only 3.5 per play.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-giants-justin-jefferson-sam-darnold-defense-dominant