In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Probably him or Dan Quinn as pure DCs go. Flores is doing far more with less. Just imagine if Kwesi went out and added some real defensive talent with high picks or premium FA dollars. 

Subtract Cine and Booth and add Mafe and Taylor-Britt perhaps

Silly to think about, but whatever.

I know this defense is good and all and I'm not just gonna walk back my priors here.

They were on the doorstep of another great performance, and then just tripped all over it.

Anyway that aside, I'm confused with how this team can bottle up an offense all game and then how many teams have been able to walk right down and score exactly when they need to.

I truly don't get it!

How many games have they gotten the clutch time stop? SF and Oak... Any others?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I know this defense is good and all and I'm not just gonna walk back my priors here.

They were on the doorstep of another great performance, and then just tripped all over it.

Anyway that aside, I'm confused with how this team can bottle up an offense all game and then how many teams have been able to walk right down and score exactly when they need to.

I truly don't get it!

I also don't understand. 

34 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I truly don't get it!

At the end of the day I think it’s just a lack of talent of that side of the ball. Coaching and scheme can only get you so far. 

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

At the end of the day I think it’s just a lack of talent of that side of the ball. Coaching and scheme can only get you so far. 

The Bengals have a talented offense. Let’s not forget that. Sometimes talent just wins no matter how well the defense is schemed. It’s not going to get better as we start to play playoff worthy teams. Ultimately the offense still continues to find ways to turn the ball over and put the defense in tough spots. 

Edited by vikingsrule

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Bengals have a talented offense. Let’s not forget that. Sometimes talent just wins no matter how well the defense is schemed. It’s not going to get better as we start to play playoff worthy teams. Ultimately the offense still continues to find ways to turn the ball over and put the defense in tough spots. 

They scored 24 points on the road....I don't see how this week is on the offense. But yes, ultimately talent wins. That doesn't explain scoring three straight TD drives.

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

They scored 24 points on the road....I don't see how this week is on the offense. But yes, ultimately talent wins. That doesn't explain scoring three straight TD drives.

The Bengals have scored 34 the last two games. I’m not putting this one on the defense. But yes not getting a stop in any of those three drives cost us the game. The Vikes aren’t getting anywhere in the playoff scoring 24 points. There’s some good offenses in the NFC. 

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Bengals have scored 34 the last two games. I’m not putting this one on the defense. But yes not getting a stop in any of those three drives cost us the game. The Vikes aren’t getting anywhere in the playoff scoring 24 points. There’s some good offenses in the NFC. 

Agreed. Which is why I want Hall. Learn about the future. This team was done being real when Kirk went down. But they aren't doing that, so we can only judge them on outcomes. 

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Agreed. Which is why I want Hall. Learn about the future. This team was done being real when Kirk went down. But they aren't doing that, so we can only judge them on outcomes. 

Absolutely. I wanted Hall last week. We’re not a threat this year. Stop pretending we are and just go with the rookie. The only chance we have at being a real playoff threat is if Hall plays out of his mind like Purdy as rookie. That’s the upside. There’s no upside with what we’ve seen from Mullens and Dobbs and they aren’t even safe enough options to manage the game. I don’t trust the defense enough to keep good teams under 20 points, it’s just not realistic. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I suspect you're correct. Still pretty mind blowing to watch.

I also did not realize Tee Higgins was this good. Some incredible plays by him

• Like 2

Flores going conservative, playing prevent soft zone coverage with only a 3 or 4 man pass rush at the end of games drives me nuts!  With a match up issue with Higgins, giving Browning time to get the ball to him is just maddening. I love Flores and his aggression...why move off of it when the opponent has shown they don't have the ability to handle it?

• Like 1