Jahan Dotson, where art thou?

taylor made

Not a lot of talk around here about Dotson, and yea that was a cool touchdown he caught, but he needs to step it up. He can't even beat Curtis Samuel out as the WR2 right now.  His Yards per Target/Reception is embarrassing. Him and Sam Howell seem to have absolutely no chemistry to boot. And no, I don't want to hear that he's hurt, he was the 16th pick overall last year and its just not good enough to be on pace for a sub 500 yard season. 

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It was a brutal one, but it hasn't been a big pattern. I'll chalk it up to a one-off for now. 

Yeah, it just sticks out because I don't remember him as a dropper. Last year he seemed to catch everything thrown in his vicinity. Maybe it's a workload thing and since he's getting fewer looks, it affects him?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, it just sticks out because I don't remember him as a dropper. Last year he seemed to catch everything thrown in his vicinity. Maybe it's a workload thing and since he's getting fewer looks, it affects him?

Could be. They're human too. Can't be on 100% of the time you know? That's why I am hoping/leaning towards a one-off. Like a $%^& happens moment. It just happened at the wrong moment.

• Like 2

I don't think it has been his fault. I think it is a combination of him having a young QB and bad oline play that has contributed to him not having a lot of targets. It seems like McLaurin is the #1 read on most play (which he should be) but it feels like the TEs have generally been the 2nd read (which kind of makes sense when you think about how often KC throws to Kelce). If Dotson really is the 3rd or 4th read on plays it takes time for the QB to make that progression. Our Oline has rarely allowed for that amount of time and with Howell's youth he probably is slower to make it through the progressions. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 4:34 AM, turtle28 said:

Here’s the thing, it’s either FEED TERRY 10-12 targets a game or it’s spread the wealth. It’s hard to have it both ways. 

Well it looks like the EB offense is spreading the wealth. Jahan has 30 targets vs Terry's 31. Jahan's longest catch this year is 18 yards so it is clear the EB offense isn't doing him any favors. But right now Dotson is JAG and a clear step below Terry and Curtis 

2 minutes ago, taylor made said:

You and Turtle were 100% right on Olave. Would love to have him here, even if it meant missing out both Brian Robinson and Sam Howell. 

Honestly I wish I hadn’t been. I’d love for Dotson to be as good but the worst part about it is you could’ve still ended up with Robinson and Howell simply by picking them a round earlier and considering what we’ve gotten out of Mathis I’d be totally fine with it. I really wouldn’t care about missing out on Cole Turner. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Honestly I wish I hadn’t been. I’d love for Dotson to be as good but the worst part about it is you could’ve still ended up with Robinson and Howell simply by picking them a round earlier and considering what we’ve gotten out of Mathis I’d be totally fine with it. I really wouldn’t care about missing out on Cole Turner. 

Dotson is good. Period. The issue is multiple things:

1. He's never the #1 option. That's Terry, Logan Thomas or Samuel/a RB if it's a screen.

2. Since he's never the #1 option and our OL is at times worse than last year, Howell rarely has time to get to his #3 option or to his check-down or, he's too slow to get to them at times, unless he sees the rush and hits the check-down before even going to his 2nd or 3rd read.

I mean I tried to say this in the offseason that if our OL wasn't good then it was going to affect Howell which would then in turn affect the targets of Dotson & Samuel. 

We all watch the same game. Howell usually doesn't have the time to get to Dotson as his 3rd or even 4th option on some plays. Because of that, Dotson’s stats are going to suffer.

Olave is the #1 option in New Orleans. If he was here, he'd be in the same predicament that Dotson is in because Terry would be the # 1 option. Then, the #2 would oftentimes be the TE or slot WR, and eventually, if the QB has time he works his way to the other side of the field and finds the other outside WR.

Dotson is on pace for 58 receptions, for 500 plus yards and 4 plus TDs as the 4th option on a lot of plays.

Edited by turtle28

43 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Dotson is good. Period. The issue is multiple things:

1. He's never the #1 option. That's Terry, Logan Thomas or Samuel/a RB if it's a screen.

2. Since he's never the #1 option and our OL is at times worse than last year, Howell rarely has time to get to his #3 option or to his check-down or, he's too slow to get to them at times, unless he sees the rush and hits the check-down before even going to his 2nd or 3rd read.

I mean I tried to say this in the offseason that if our OL wasn't good then it was going to affect Howell which would then in turn affect the targets of Dotson & Samuel. 

We all watch the same game. Howell usually has the time to get to Dotson as his 3rd or even 4th option on some plays. Because of that, Dotson’s stats are going to suffer.

Olave is the #1 option in New Orleans. If he was here, he'd be in the same predicament that Dotson is in because Terry would be the # 1 option. Then, the #2 would oftentimes be the TE or slot WR, and eventually, if the QB has time he works his way to the other side of the field and finds the other outside WR.

Dotson is on pace for 58 receptions, for 500 plus yards and 4 plus TDs as the 4th option on a lot of plays.

Do you genuinely believe Dotson is as good as Olave?