Week 5 GDT the Good, the bad and the ugly

marshpit23

4 hours ago, Mr.UFO said:

I'm not a Vikings fan, but I came in here to ask a question. The Vikings play three safeties most of the time (with Josh Metellus playing NB vs 3-WR sets). Is their main defense a 3-3-5 or a 2-4-5?

Allegedly, it’s a 3-4. But because of a lack of talent in the front 7, I think the three safety looks are about getting your most talented players on the field and using their strengths to mask weaknesses elsewhere. I think they view Metellus as a hybrid S/LB/CB. 

Raiders cornerback Marcus Peters might have saved Monday night’s win with an illegal tackle.

With the game tied at 10 in the third quarter and the Packers starting a drive on their own 17, Green Bay quarterback Jordan Love rolled left and lofted a rainbow to receiver Christian Watson. Alone at midfield, Watson made the catch, cut inside past Peters, and took off for paydirt.

Watson was on his way to the end zone when Peters grabbed the back of the collar on Watson’s jersey and flung him down. It was a textbook horse-collar tackle, but it saved the touchdown. The play ended at the Las Vegas six. Green Bay got three yards for the penalty. And the Packers failed to score a touchdown. The field goal gave them a 13-10 lead. The Packers would not score again. The Raiders added a touchdown, making the final tally 17-13.

It was a smart manipulation of the rules by Peters, a desperation move that worked. Even if it also was a blatant violation.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/horse-collar-tackle-by-marcus-peters-saved-touchdown-possibly-changed-outcome

On 10/10/2023 at 6:28 AM, Worm Guts said:

The idea of taking a penalty to save touchdown isn't new, it just usually is a pass interference or a hold as opposed to a horse collar tackle.

it is a good strategy. And technically w/in the rules. He gave up the penalty in exchange for not giving up a TD. 

18 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

it is a good strategy. And technically w/in the rules. He gave up the penalty in exchange for not giving up a TD. 

the problem with using a horsecollar in that strategy is the potential for hurting the player, and seriously. think of the mess if the NFL execs would be in if the receiver had been gravely injured, yet the play was just penalized half the distance to the goal line....

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

the problem with using a horsecollar in that strategy is the potential for hurting the player, and seriously. think of the mess if the NFL execs would be in if the receiver had been gravely injured, yet the play was just penalized half the distance to the goal line....

I didn't say it was good ethically....