Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

3 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:
12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That's ancient by NFL standards - you're acting like he's Jerry Rice, pretty much most elite NFL WRs see a downturn past 32-34 range. Look at guys such as Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Torry Holt or Reggie Wayne - do you think Adam Thielen can outlast those guys?

Father time is undefeated, and it's most noticeable at WR.

Well you said past. He's only 33 so

I said 32-34 range... which includes 33 (you can check my math if you like).

22 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

Trying to defend one of the worst starting QB's of the modern era is one hell of a hill to die on

Trying to defend a 33 year old career 1b/2 WR as some legitimate 1 WR for any offense is an even odder hill to die on. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

Lol he's only 33 not 43.  The Chargers, Cardinals, and the Chiefs receivers off the top of my head. 

Trying to defend one of the worst starting QB's of the modern era is one hell of a hill to die on

Keenan Allen

Austin Ekeler

Mike Williams

Gerald Everett

A good OL

Marquise Brown

Rondale Moore

Trey McBride

James Conner

Rashee Rice

HOF TE Travis Kelce

Isaiah Pacheco

A great OL

clearly you aren’t one for reasonable conversation, so if you can’t understand how insane your take is, I have nothing else for you. It’s pretty much the worse take I’ve seen on here since “LT is overrated bc he might get injured.”

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Keenan Allen

Austin Ekeler

Mike Williams

Gerald Everett

A good OL

Marquise Brown

Rondale Moore

Trey McBride

James Conner

Rashee Rice

HOF TE Travis Kelce

Isaiah Pacheco

A great OL

clearly you aren’t one for reasonable conversation, so if you can’t understand how insane your take is, I have nothing else for you. It’s pretty much the worse take I’ve seen on here since “LT is overrated bc he might get injured.”

Apparently reading comprehension is not your strong suit since I specifically said "Chiefs receivers".  Last time I checked Kelce is not a receiver. 

Herbert is one of the better QB's in the league and he can't win with that group, so you're wrong. 

The offensive talent around Bryce is certainly subpar, but the bigger issue has been the coaching and scheme. Reich stubbornly refused to adapt his offense when it was clear nothing was in sync and working. That scheme wasn’t putting any of the players in a position to succeed, not just Bryce Young.

Thomas Brown has been implementing a more diverse scheme featuring more pre-snap motion, less static route combinations, and more play under center. The playbook has been opened up to include more routes further down the field. The end result is an offense that is less predictable and does not allow defenses to sit on everything within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. It’s not surprise we’ve seen improvement from Bryce and the unit as a whole over the past couple of weeks, actual results not withstanding. It simply doesn’t seem so difficult for everyone anymore. 

Does all of that mean Bryce wasn’t part of the problem earlier in the season? No. He wasn’t playing well. But he was shellschocked. He wasn’t getting consistent protection and so he wasn’t trusting his line when it was giving him a good enough pocket. And that led to timing and footwork issues where he missed reads and makable throws. You can tell Bryce is trusting his line and what he’s seeing down the field more and the timing between him and the WRs is finally synced up on a more consistent basis. Does all that mean he’s going to pan out as a franchise QB? Who knows? But he certainly finally showed the skills that got him drafted 1st overall.  It remains to be seen if he can build off that.

It’s clear to me that that coaching was a bigger part of the problem than the talent on the roster. As someone posted, it’s a “workable” group of players. Were they ever going to threaten to go deep in the playoffs? No. But in a terrible NFC South, they could compete for a .500 record and a division title. Instead, you had maybe the worst overall coaching job I’ve ever seen. Now that that scheme is helping the players out, you see something resembling competence.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

Apparently reading comprehension is not your strong suit since I specifically said "Chiefs receivers".  Last time I checked Kelce is not a receiver. 

Herbert is one of the better QB's in the league and he can't win with that group, so you're wrong. 

Please tell me you came here from Reddit

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Towerbridge said:

I genuinely can't tell if you're being obtuse or if you really think you're making a point.

At what point do you look at a 29th ranked defense and a HC who was fired mid-season and think "yeah, that's on Herbert and the WRs..."

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

What did I say that was wrong in that post?

Oooh, twofer:

Just now, ET80 said:

At what point do you look at a 29th ranked defense and a HC who was fired mid-season and think "yeah, that's on Herbert and the WRs..."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Towerbridge said:

You are embarrassing yourself. Literally no1 agrees with you and as far as I’m concerned, you’ve stained yourself permanently as far as being a rational person.

Kelce is not a receiver…their leader in receptions and yards is not a receiver. Splitting hairs are we? Whatever. I promise you I am done with this conversation, as it’s banging my head against a wall. Peace. 

5 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

You are embarrassing yourself. Literally no1 agrees with you and as far as I’m concerned, you’ve stained yourself permanently as far as being a rational person.

Kelce is not a receiver…their leader in receptions and yards is not a receiver. Splitting hairs are we? Whatever. I promise you I am done with this conversation, as it’s banging my head against a wall. Peace. 

Kelce is not a wide receiver. Agreed

Can't help it If your reading comprehension isn't the best. You knew I meant the wide receivers

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I genuinely can't tell if you're being obtuse or if you really think you're making a point.

26th ranked defense and 18th ranked offense. Without Herbert where would they be? An even worse record. You know Mike Williams hasn't played. In my opinion the Panthers have better talent at the minimum overall compared to the Chargers and Cardinals at least. 

14 hours ago, Towerbridge said:

26th ranked defense and 18th ranked offense. 

Still can't tell if you're being obtuse or you genuinely don't know any better. I'm leaning you genuinely don't know any better, because you're pretty clueless in this particular argument and the data is readily available to quickly dismiss your take.

- 13th ranked passing offense (above league average)

- 24th ranked rushing offense (below league average)

So, we know why that 18th ranked offense isn't really ranked that high - and it's not the QB/WR tandems. It's more to do with the lack of production from the run game. So, the Chargers aren't winning? Probably because Austin Ekler is injured a lot, the defense is one of the four worst in the league and their Head Coach was fired. But yeah... go ahead and keep saying it's because of Herbert and the WRs.

So... are there any more of your takes you need me to deconstruct? Because it's not very difficult to disprove you, anyone with a cell phone and Google can do it (except for maybe... y'know... you).

14 hours ago, Towerbridge said:

In my opinion the Panthers have better talent at the minimum overall compared to the Chargers and Cardinals at least. 

Your opinion would be wrong, based on pretty much every single metric we have to rate these things - and you've plainly demonstrated that your "eye test" is about as reliable as Stevie Wonder's, so your opinion really isn't worth much.

But thanks for playing!