Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I'm sorry but this revisionist history stuff is so stupid. People were killing Lovie Smith for winning that game and losing out on Bryce Young and now that Stroud has been better the Panthers should've known better and picked the guy 90% of draftniks didn't think was as good as Young? This is no different than what happened with Tua and Herbert and how the Dolphins should've known Herbert would be better and yadda yadda yadda. Pretending Young wasn't a supremely talented QB in college and pretty much universally seen as the first overall pick for that entire college season because of how things have transpired is quite annoying. 

From what I remember, people were killing him for losing that game and losing the Texans' choice of QB.  There was a lot of debate about Stroud vs. Young as prospects, and it was definitely less than 90% who said Young was better.  Hell, a sizable chunk of the community either had AR or Levis as the top QB.

Now, the pro-Stroud people were still killing Lovie because they lost out on Stroud.

Then the Panthers ****ed up and took the wrong QB, and yes, they should have known he was a huge risk.  He could still pan out, and CJ Stroud could end up mid, but they made an objectively bad decision to trade an enormous package and then take the less safe of the two top QB options.

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't know who is going to take this job, but whoever does - one of the first orders of business is to call Ikem Ekwonu up and find out what the hell happened. 

I know not all 62 are on him... but enough of those 62 are on him. As a former top 10 selection, he needs to wear the weight of this failure and rally the other OL to a committed improvement. 

A rookie QB needs his OL playing beyond their pay grade - a 5' 8" rookie QB needs his OL playing elite football. That didn't happen and you have to call that out ASAP.

Since when is he 5-8? He easily looks 5-10 with 5-11 Goodell. He never would have been drafted at 5-8

I know its a million to one shot. I was thinking if they traded Russel Wilson to Carolina they could set Bryce Young down for a season to see how a short of stature QB can still play in this game. At this stage Wilson's not going to demand a huge salary. He's a very upbeat optimistic person who would have a good influence. 

On 1/8/2024 at 10:09 AM, NateDawg said:

It’s stupid that anyone saw him as a better quarterback than Stroud. You can watch them for five minutes and see that these are two totally different players. It’s insane they made that trade and did not take CJ. Only thing I can think is ownership meddling. There’s no way a real evaluator thought that was a good decision.

Kiper, McShay and Lance Z all had Bryce over Stroud, too. Say what you will about each one of these guys, they're connected with NFL execs and have a general ideal on how the consensus is going with those circles, too.

I also don't think it's a secret that the Texans themselves were in talks to trade up to 1.1 to draft Bryce as well.

I think people forget the narratives for each QB coming out of college - or at least forget how hyped Young was. There was a talking point that said if Bryce was 6' 2" he'd be a Luck-level prospect and that his arm talent made him equivalent to Drew Brees.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Kiper, McShay and Lance Z all had Bryce over Stroud, too. Say what you will about each one of these guys, they're connected with NFL execs and have a general ideal on how the consensus is going with those circles, too.

I also don't think it's a secret that the Texans themselves were in talks to trade up to 1.1 to draft Bryce as well.

I think people forget the narratives for each QB coming out of college - or at least forget how hyped Young was. There was a talking point that said if Bryce was 6' 2" he'd be a Luck-level prospect and that his arm talent made him equivalent to Drew Brees.

Yeah, I understand there was no consensus, but I never understood it. I watched both guys play. Projecting to the NFL there is just such a big difference between these two guys coming out and their upsides against an NFL D.

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I bet Tepper insisted they take Young. Probably threw his drink at Fitterer/Reich for suggesting Stroud.

It is far more likely Reich wanted Stroud, Fitt and the scouts wanted Young, and Tepper sided with Fitt.  This seems even more likely when you consider the reported friction between Fitt and Reich during the season (which is why it is important to get your GM and HC in unison).

The idea that Tepper went rogue and forced Bryce Young on the Panthers despite everyone else telling him not to has never made any sense.  Don't get me wrong, Tepper has been a bad owner so far.  But I don't think that is an example of why.

Edited by iknowcool

15 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

It is far more likely Reich wanted Stroud, Fitt and the scouts wanted Young, and Tepper sided with Fitt.  This seems even more likely when you consider the reported friction between Fitt and Reich during the season (which is why it is important to get your GM and HC in unison).

The idea that Tepper went rogue and forced Bryce Young on the Panthers despite everyone else telling him not to has never made any sense.  Don't get me wrong, Tepper has been a bad owner so far.  But I don't think that is an example of why.

Jimmy Haslem spent $100k on researching which QB to take in the 2014 draft. The researchers and football minds pointed to Bridgewater, but Jimmy sided with a homeless person that told him to take Johnny football. 

It happens lol.

1 hour ago, Onizuka said:

Jimmy Haslem spent $100k on researching which QB to take in the 2014 draft. The researchers and football minds pointed to Bridgewater, but Jimmy sided with a homeless person that told him to take Johnny football. 

It happens lol.

To be fair, with how the draft shook out I'm glad it was Johnny because at least it was over quickly and we didn't have to drag ourselves through 7 years of Carr/Bridgewater to know they weren't the guys.

Shouts to the homeless dude

- Carolina should’ve taken Stroud.

- Young had a rough, rough rookie season. Hasn’t looked good thus far. 

- It was bad, but the kid’s career isn’t over.

- Straight revisionist history here by people slamming Carolina for having Bryce over Stroud. Most people held that POV, only after it’s all shaken out does Stroud #1 look so obvious.

Edited by Soko
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Soko said:

- Straight revisionist history here by people slamming having Bryce over Stroud. Majority did not have that POV, only now does all of a sudden it look so obvious.

I didn't think any of the QB's were first round picks.

I didn't expect Stroud to be this amazing.  I was in the "just another Ohio State bust" camp

6 hours ago, Onizuka said:

It happens lol.

Sure, it happens. But no legitimate source has ever came out and said Tepper went against the entire organization. It seems unlikely he would do that when he’s never done anything like that before. 

4 hours ago, Soko said:

- Straight revisionist history here by people slamming having Bryce over Stroud. Majority did not have that POV, only now does all of a sudden it look so obvious.

Truth. A lot of folks weren't confident in Stroud. Some were even saying he wasn't going to be the #2 QB taken.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Truth. A lot of folks weren't confident in Stroud. Some were even saying he wasn't going to be the #2 QB taken.

Yeah - I think we all collectively forgot that Will Levis was a popular name at 2. As was Will Anderson and Tyree Wilson.

Bryce Young was the ONLY name at 1.

• Like 1