John Dorsey named GM

hornbybrown

Back on topic.

A number of members have posted about the culture of the organization/team.

I have years of experience and a major client who works in the fields of organizational culture and change management.

What is happening with the Browns flies in the face of all I have seen and know to be the better ways to work through change and establish positive and productive organizational structure.

This is much worse than Al Davis' Raiders, mainly because the Haslams' (I have decided henceforth to refer to Jimmy and Dee as one, since I do not know who wears the pants) are not Al Davis, who at least seemed to know something about NFL football.

The current situation is a major cluster.

I don't even know what we are arguing about here.

Is this an argument about Sashi's talent evaluating because last I checked Sashi drafted both Peppers and Kindred so one way or another Sashi got it right which coincidentally proves Sashi's draft theory correct. The more you draft the better chance you have at finding talent, not the higher your draft(Kindred 5th round, Peppers 22nd overall)

Is this an argument about Jabrill Peppers talent level? because we cannot honestly evaluate that right now as the kid has only had 13 games of which he has not been used in a way that best fits his talents.

Is this an argument about whether or not Peppers is being used correctly or not? If that is the case then whoever is arguing that he is being used correctly is clearly football brain dead and there is no point in furthering the argument. The most important trait a coach can have is putting his players in the best spots to succeed. I believe our entire coaching staff is abysmal at putting young kids in good spots, positions, situations ect. None of these is more obvious than the handling of Jabrill Peppers. You cannot find one single scout or coach in the entire football world that would tell you Jabrill Peppers best asset is playing in space or being a center fielder type. Anyone would half a football brain saw and knew that Peppers was a great chase and tackle or force player box defender who can also make plays in coverage so long as he was being physical in man to man. You cannot be a force player 25 yards off the ball. You cannot be physical in coverage when the nearest receiver isn't within for a Mosin Nagat let alone within arms reach. You cannot do a lot of chasing down the play from backside when you are 25 yard away to start. Some one else has to do all the chasing and forcing if you are ever going to get there before the ball is already 5-8 yards down field. If there is someone out there that honestly doesn't see the criminal misuse of Jabrill Peppers they are not even worth the time to argue football.

2 hours ago, Dogbite said:

I don't even know what we are arguing about here.

Is this an argument about Sashi's talent evaluating because last I checked Sashi drafted both Peppers and Kindred so one way or another Sashi got it right which coincidentally proves Sashi's draft theory correct. The more you draft the better chance you have at finding talent, not the higher your draft(Kindred 5th round, Peppers 22nd overall)

Is this an argument about Jabrill Peppers talent level? because we cannot honestly evaluate that right now as the kid has only had 13 games of which he has not been used in a way that best fits his talents.

Is this an argument about whether or not Peppers is being used correctly or not? If that is the case then whoever is arguing that he is being used correctly is clearly football brain dead and there is no point in furthering the argument. The most important trait a coach can have is putting his players in the best spots to succeed. I believe our entire coaching staff is abysmal at putting young kids in good spots, positions, situations ect. None of these is more obvious than the handling of Jabrill Peppers. You cannot find one single scout or coach in the entire football world that would tell you Jabrill Peppers best asset is playing in space or being a center fielder type. Anyone would half a football brain saw and knew that Peppers was a great chase and tackle or force player box defender who can also make plays in coverage so long as he was being physical in man to man. You cannot be a force player 25 yards off the ball. You cannot be physical in coverage when the nearest receiver isn't within for a Mosin Nagat let alone within arms reach. You cannot do a lot of chasing down the play from backside when you are 25 yard away to start. Some one else has to do all the chasing and forcing if you are ever going to get there before the ball is already 5-8 yards down field. If there is someone out there that honestly doesn't see the criminal misuse of Jabrill Peppers they are not even worth the time to argue football.

I think this is a strawman.  Nobody is saying Peppers is being used correctly.  I'm saying he hasn't been good.  Which is facts.  I don't know why Greg plays with a safety 25 yards deep, I've been one of the most critical posters in this forum of his defensive scheme overall.  I do think if he played Nacua, or if we weren't relying on Ed Reynolds coming into the season, to play "angel" we'd be better.  But I don't think we should do that to slide Peppers at SS because it takes Kindred off the field, which would be asinine.  If we admit Peppers isn't a centerfielder, which we seem in consensus, then it means we should play him somewhere else, and that might be for only 15-20 snaps a game on defense.  Which would be fine, except I don't see anywhere in Williams scheme currently where that works either, since our back 7 sits back in zone coverage most plays.  Spending a 1st round pick on a guy you'd have to basically create looks for on defense seems foolish (ahem...Mingo).  We don't know who pushed hard for Peppers, so I'm not blaming Sashi, but I'd say so far it's been a mistake.  Part of the mistake is because Kindred has played great, which is good.  Part of it is because you selected a DB who can't cover well and that was a red flag for a lot of people when he was a prospect.

3 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

I think this is a strawman.  Nobody is saying Peppers is being used correctly.  I'm saying he hasn't been good.  Which is facts.  I don't know why Greg plays with a safety 25 yards deep, I've been one of the most critical posters in this forum of his defensive scheme overall.  I do think if he played Nacua, or if we weren't relying on Ed Reynolds coming into the season, to play "angel" we'd be better.  But I don't think we should do that to slide Peppers at SS because it takes Kindred off the field, which would be asinine.  If we admit Peppers isn't a centerfielder, which we seem in consensus, then it means we should play him somewhere else, and that might be for only 15-20 snaps a game on defense.  Which would be fine, except I don't see anywhere in Williams scheme currently where that works either, since our back 7 sits back in zone coverage most plays.  Spending a 1st round pick on a guy you'd have to basically create looks for on defense seems foolish (ahem...Mingo).  We don't know who pushed hard for Peppers, so I'm not blaming Sashi, but I'd say so far it's been a mistake.  Part of the mistake is because Kindred has played great, which is good.  Part of it is because you selected a DB who can't cover well and that was a red flag for a lot of people when he was a prospect.

Wouldn't it be best then to play someone like Nacua at FS and use Peppers those 15-20 plays in sub packages where he can do things he excels at?

Add to that returns, a half dozen touches on offense, etc and you can still get a pretty good amount of use from that player, especially if they're excelling at that role.

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

Back on topic.

A number of members have posted about the culture of the organization/team.

I have years of experience and a major client who works in the fields of organizational culture and change management.

What is happening with the Browns flies in the face of all I have seen and know to be the better ways to work through change and establish positive and productive organizational structure.

This is much worse than Al Davis' Raiders, mainly because the Haslams' (I have decided henceforth to refer to Jimmy and Dee as one, since I do not know who wears the pants) are not Al Davis, who at least seemed to know something about NFL football.

The current situation is a major cluster.

The only thing I can guess they are trying to do is create a sense of urgency for the young players.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The only thing I can guess they are trying to do is create a sense of urgency for the young players.

What they more likely are creating is confusion, uncertainty and fear, which do not usually produce good results.

I looked at all the picks he made in KC and I was not really impressed. I see a fair amount of solid role players which honestly is what Sashi did for us

Its also striking how much more polished/refined Sashi came off in interviews compared to Dorsey. (Its really not relevant but thought it was interesting)

As frustrating as it is, I really get a laugh when coach potatoes try to tell me how a player should be used and that the HC just doesn't have a clue nor the DC.

While it may be true that Hue is a bad HC, his DC is pretty well respected throughout the NFL and I do not think our defense is the reason we are losing so many games, so I hesitate to tell our DC how to do his job.

I have coached baseball at a very decent level, for a very long time and as a past HC, I know you need to be able to communicate with players to realize what they can comprehend and what is just beyond their ability. It is not always about size and athletic ability, it can come down to brains and as a rookie, maybe Williams just did not want to pour a lot of responsibility on a player he realized would take time to bring up to snuff. Once you reach the NFL, nobody cares where you were drafted, they only see the player for what he is, so perhaps right now, Peppers is used based on what he is currently capable of and we will just have to wait to see if he gets more responsibility with experience or just isn't the player we hoped he would be.

Archived