Colts rookie QB Anthony Richardson expected to miss rest of season

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Nothing will change, nor should it. Only thing Shane will do is probably have AR watch more tape of say young Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers (learn how to slide), get out of bounds, live for another play and less Cam Newton / RGIII/ Carson Wentz.

Something similar I'm sure Shane/Sirianni did with Hurts last season when running. Less hits you take, better chance of staying healthy. You can run everyone over even if you are the size of most LB's.

I'm just not sure that's something you can teach and have a player instantly learn it. AR played in only a few college games, it's not easy to maintain awareness of defenders 360 degrees around you if you just don't have much game experience. And he won't be getting any more game experience until 2024.  

And if he becomes really cautious, how effective a runner will he be if any time any defender gets within 5 yards he goes down? He'd be losing 5-10 yards per play if that becomes his MO. 

If AR has another injury to his throwing shoulder that might be it, a la Cam.

10 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I'm just not sure that's something you can teach and have a player instantly learn it. AR played in only a few college games, it's not easy to maintain awareness of defenders 360 degrees around you if you just don't have much game experience. And he won't be getting any more game experience until 2024.  

And if he becomes really cautious, how effective a runner will he be if any time any defender gets within 5 yards he goes down? He'd be losing 5-10 yards per play if that becomes his MO. 

If AR has another injury to his throwing shoulder that might be it, a la Cam.

If he can't be taught to run out of bounds, avoid big hits and specifically to slide which we teach 4 year olds to do in baseball.  He is not the athlete he claims to be. Same 💩 Mike Vick struggled with.

There are smart running QB throughout the history of the NFL. Then there are reckless runners, who believe they can make a play at any given time and take to many unnecessary hits. 

Those players end up like RGIII, Cam and Wentz. Hero ball "when running" only goes so far.

It's my only fear with Jalen Hurts. More Wilson, less Cam trying to put the team on your back because you actually can.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 4:42 PM, Nabbs4u said:

If he can't be taught to run out of bounds, avoid big hits and specifically to slide which we teach 4 year olds to do in baseball.  He is not the athlete he claims to be. Same 💩 Mike Vick struggled with.

There are smart running QB throughout the history of the NFL. Then there are reckless runners, who believe they can make a play at any given time and take to many unnecessary hits. 

Those players end up like RGIII, Cam and Wentz. Hero ball "when running" only goes so far.

It's my only fear with Jalen Hurts. More Wilson, less Cam trying to put the team on your back because you actually can.

I think it is possible he can learn to do those things. 

BUT, it's just a confusing situation to put him in. 

"We're going to run a play that is a designed run, but if any defender gets anywhere near the ball carrier, he needs to immediately go down and never risk getting hit."

I don't think it has anything to do with athleticism, it's all about awareness. He's obviously a phenomenal athlete, but there are plenty of great athletes with poor vision/toughness.  

5 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I think it is possible he can learn to do those things. 

BUT, it's just a confusing situation to put him in. 

"We're going to run a play that is a designed run, but if any defender gets anywhere near the ball carrier, he needs to immediately go down and never risk getting hit."

I don't think it has anything to do with athleticism, it's all about awareness. He's obviously a phenomenal athlete, but there are plenty of great athletes with poor vision/toughness.  

You can call designed runs and slide to avoid contact rather then getting that "extra" 2 yds. 

You can go out of bounds and avoid contact rather then getting that extra 2 yds.

You want to call a designed run, to initiate contact, run thru people for that extra 2 yds, use your All Pro RB!

Not rocket science.