Colts rookie QB Anthony Richardson expected to miss rest of season

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Durable for a running QB. Cam Newton also managed to stay relatively healthy despite his playstyle. But it's a position type that definitely opens them up for additional injuries.

For a running QB maybe but that's only because none have really proven to be all that durable. Lamar Jackson still hasn't logged a full season at any point in his career.

Cam Newton is definitely a better example of a running QB who was able to stay relatively healthy for the most part.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I do agree with you though that some fans will meme **** without context & if Richardson ever does get hurt in the pocket there will be some people who blindly claim its due to being a running QB as you say

That's all I'm saying. Yes, Richardson needs to learn to protect himself and his durability is certainly a concern, but these days most QBs are going to run for a first down if they see an opportunity. Injuries happen in football. I'm just pre-annoyed by the inevitable claims that'll come whenever he gets any kind of knock in any situation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

For a running QB maybe but that's only because none have really proven to be all that durable. Lamar Jackson still hasn't logged a full season at any point in his career.

Cam Newton is definitely a better example of a running QB who was able to stay relatively healthy for the most part.

I hate this statement. There have been a few running Quarterbacks that were extremely durable and played in a league that didn’t protect them nearly as much. The people would like you to acknowledge the dual threat and durability of: Randall Cunningham, Warren Moon, Vinny Testaverde, Steve Young and Steve McNair. 

Edited by Leoric

28 minutes ago, Leoric said:

I hate this statement. There have been a few running Quarterbacks that were extremely durable and played in a league that didn’t protect them nearly as much. The people would like you to acknowledge the dual threat and durability of: Randall Cunningham, Warren Moon, Vinny Testaverde, Steve Young and Steve McNair. 

If Vinny Testaverde was a running QB, I'm a duck. Lamar Jackson has had more rushing attempts already 5 games into this season than Testaverde had in any season of his whole career.

For that matter, none of those guys you mentioned other than maybe Randall Cunningham were "running QBs" in the same way that we speak of the term in today's game and you know it. Mobile & capable of scrambling when needed, sure, but not really guys asked to use their legs several times a game by design. Even if they were, a handful of exceptions doesn't change the fact such players historically have had less success staying healthy on average.

cmon man

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

This is a very deceptive statement. 

He played a full season in 2018, but was not starter until the last 7 games. Didn't miss a game.

He didn't play in 16 games in 2019 because they rested him in the final game because they locked up the 1 seed. Is this evidence he is not durable?

He missed 1 game in 2020 because he (and half the team) had COVID. Is this evidence he is not durable? 

2021 and 2022 are different, obviously. But to say he is not durable and is missing games over his years 1-3 is really misleading. 

• Like 2

I'm surprise Steichen is catching more flak for this. He comes in as 1st year HC and gets his a top-4 drafted QB injured running designed runs.

Did he ever consider his QB is not ready for dealing with NFL defenders? He could have slowly integrated Richardson into the offense to see how it went. But to just throw him to the wolves like that without any care about his long term health is unbelievably cavalier and risky. Richardson has a chance to earn hundreds of millions of dollars in his life and this rookie HC thinks he can just run him into NFL defenders and mess up his shoulder? 

I think it was stupid and selfish of Steichen for treating his QB that way. He's a nobody with no accomplishments in the league, he doesn't have the right to destroy a rookie's future like that. One shoulder injury can end his career. 

5 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I'm surprise Steichen is catching more flak for this. He comes in as 1st year HC and gets his a top-4 drafted QB injured running designed runs.

Did he ever consider his QB is not ready for dealing with NFL defenders? He could have slowly integrated Richardson into the offense to see how it went. But to just throw him to the wolves like that without any care about his long term health is unbelievably cavalier and risky. Richardson has a chance to earn hundreds of millions of dollars in his life and this rookie HC thinks he can just run him into NFL defenders and mess up his shoulder? 

I think it was stupid and selfish of Steichen for treating his QB that way. He's a nobody with no accomplishments in the league, he doesn't have the right to destroy a rookie's future like that. One shoulder injury can end his career. 

At what point would Richardson be "ready" to get hit by NFL defenders? He's one of the most athletically gifted guys we've ever seen at the QB position - did you want him to bulk up first? All players can get injured at any time. He could've run once per game and still gotten hurt. You act like he was Malik Willis running constantly or something. "Integrate him slowly into the offense" while what, covered in bubble wrap? How do you blame Steichen for Richardson getting hurt and what does Steichen's lack of accomplishments have to do with anything? You might as well blame all coaches for calling designed runs that lead to their QB getting hurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

He gets a pass for 2019 because they had a 1st round bye so he was held out. 2020 was COVID so I'm a little iffy on that one too. 

edit: nevermind, my bad, someone else already brought it up 

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

At what point would Richardson be "ready" to get hit by NFL defenders? He's one of the most athletically gifted guys we've ever seen at the QB position - did you want him to bulk up first? All players can get injured at any time. He could've run once per game and still gotten hurt. You act like he was Malik Willis running constantly or something. "Integrate him slowly into the offense" while what, covered in bubble wrap? How do you blame Steichen for Richardson getting hurt and what does Steichen's lack of accomplishments have to do with anything? You might as well blame all coaches for calling designed runs that lead to their QB getting hurt.

Well for instance with Lamar and Jalen Hurts, they were not full time starters going into their rookie years. 

The coaches could see how these players reacted when you give them designed runs 1 or 2 times per game as a sub package. These players later became starters because they proved they were adept at avoiding big hits. 

Obviously nobody can completely avoid risk of injury. 

But I think it is a MASSIVE mistake for a HC to just assume a college QB can come into the NFL and immediately operate a run-heavy offense with multiple designed QB runs every game. Especially if the QB has 11 college starts. I honestly do find Steichen's approach stupid and short-sighted. 

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

Yeah let’s blame Steichen the guy that has lead this competitive team to almost the same number of wins as last year with 12 games to go. There’s a reason most people aren’t blaming him for these injuries lol.

Are you familiar with the concept of a Pyrrhic victory?