Colts rookie QB Anthony Richardson expected to miss rest of season

RaidersAreOne

So he's tracking to what, 50% availability in his career so far? Wish him the best and quick recovery, but for a quarterback, you want a guy who is reliable and stays on the field. And Richardson has now had two separate injury issues. Could ground him before he ever really takes off.

• Like 2

Durability is a persistent issue with him.

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Too bad, but you sort of saw it coming with his play style - he runs with reckless abandon and tries to use his body like a battering ram. That doesn't work against NFL caliber defenders.

It can work if you're a big, durable guy. But Anthony isn't. He was injured often in college too.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

He's going to end up like Lamar in that whenever he gets hurt, people will just say "no wonder, he's a running QB" regardless of how he got hurt. He'll take a knock while sitting in the pocket and people will shake their heads knowingly while tut-tutting: "that's the risk you take with a QB like him."

Certainly there's some capacity for that, and correct me if I'm wrong but... he was not hurt in the pocket, correct?

7 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Certainly there's some capacity for that, and correct me if I'm wrong but... he was not hurt in the pocket, correct?

I'm just talking about the future; now that he has this reputation it'll be the go-to response no matter the circumstances. He was hurt on a run play, but it was a routine tackle that could happen to anyone, anywhere on the field. He just landed on his arm funny.

Edited by notthatbluestuff

57 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

He's going to end up like Lamar in that whenever he gets hurt, people will just say "no wonder, he's a running QB" regardless of how he got hurt. He'll take a knock while sitting in the pocket and people will shake their heads knowingly while tut-tutting: "that's the risk you take with a QB like him."

But both his shoulder and his concussion was the result of him running, so...?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I'm just talking about the future; now that he has this reputation it'll be the go-to response no matter the circumstances. He was hurt on a run play, but it was a routine tackle that could happen to anyone, anywhere on the field. He just landed on his arm funny.

I mean, that is the rub of taking a running QB though. More opportunities for injuries will naturally lead to more injuries.

QBs aren't RBs - they tend to be taller and more slender (which is obviously ideal for passing), wear less padding (particularly on the shoulders as it would interfere with passing), and are coached to use a far safer running form (body tucked, avoiding extending their legs fully, low to the ground with knees bent... you'll notice far more RB injuries when they have to extend their legs to make a reception).

Dual threat QBs tend to work out very well in college where defenders aren't as fast or strong & max career length is going to be capped at 3-4 years anyway. But there's mountains of data showing that their durability is an issue at the pro level compared to pocket passers.

I do agree with you though that some fans will meme **** without context & if Richardson ever does get hurt in the pocket there will be some people who blindly claim its due to being a running QB as you say, but that doesn't make the durability of guys like Lamar Jackson and Anthony Richardson any less of a concern.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

See above.

Let's say his next injury happens in the pocket. If it's another concussion, would his playstyle and receiving an earlier one from running not be a contributing factor to him being more susceptable to future concussions?

Lamar has proven to be durable despite running. Richardson has not.