Raiders Rookie Watch

Darbsk

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Aoc looked good his first ever preseason game. I’m not sure how many reps he got in camp but I know before the charger game he had little to none. Aoc also didn’t have to start from scratch. 

Some guys are more mature and ready. Usually what you see in college Carries into the pros Imo. Still to this day no one can point out a great signature college game from Wilson. He looked like a 2nd round project to me. So his nfl struggles aren’t surprising to me.

Now aoc I saw some good games from him vs some good comp in college. Not round 1 type but early 3rd type play. You can see his maturity and coaches/players talk about that also. Like aoc said he’s always been the older guy in the college locker room. Now he’s the young older guy. He’s just a very mature rookie dudes even married. 

I can see that. I’m typically not a fan of taking projects in the early first round so I can see it being frustrating for some but also I’ve been pretty pleased with him the past few weeks in terms of seeing him finally getting his feet a little more under him. I think the point still stands though that AOC had a full offseason while Wilson is learning on the fly. Was he over drafted? Yeah probably, but he was also picked where the consensus had him being picked because of his elite physical traits. So I don’t think it’s like some crazy overdraft like an Arnette situation. I’m going to give the kid patience until next year due to the offseason being nonexistent for him and him also being a project in general. 

39 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

I can see that. I’m typically not a fan of taking projects in the early first round so I can see it being frustrating for some but also I’ve been pretty pleased with him the past few weeks in terms of seeing him finally getting his feet a little more under him. I think the point still stands though that AOC had a full offseason while Wilson is learning on the fly. Was he over drafted? Yeah probably, but he was also picked where the consensus had him being picked because of his elite physical traits. So I don’t think it’s like some crazy overdraft like an Arnette situation. I’m going to give the kid patience until next year due to the offseason being nonexistent for him and him also being a project in general. 

Imo you don’t lose your technique when your injured unless you didn’t have it to begin with. So I get the camp to refine your technique get acclimated to the pros thing 100%. But  if you’re depending on camp to learn how to get out of your stance and learn a counter move is lightweight embarrassing imo. 

when’s the last time you heard a nfl coach say “he couldn’t even get out of his stance”?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Imo you don’t lose your technique when your injured unless you didn’t have it to begin with. So I get the camp to refine your technique get acclimated to the pros thing 100%. But  if you’re depending on camp to learn how to get out of your stance and learn a counter move is lightweight embarrassing imo. 

when’s the last time you heard a nfl coach say “he couldn’t even get out of his stance”?

Absolutely that is concerning and part of why he was a complete project but that still doesn’t discredit that he went exactly where he was projected to go. Calling it a reach is simply just not true. Now like I said, I don’t like taking a project in the first but also it wasn’t like it was some out of left field pick either. 

2 hours ago, FloydFan said:

Absolutely that is concerning and part of why he was a complete project but that still doesn’t discredit that he went exactly where he was projected to go. Calling it a reach is simply just not true. Now like I said, I don’t like taking a project in the first but also it wasn’t like it was some out of left field pick either. 

The projection people are wrong alot but I agree I even traded him at the spot cause it was a weak de class and I knew someone would bite.

I just hope he doesn’t get injured or miss another camp again cause he’ll have to start from scratch and relearn everything all over again lol

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

sucks we didn't find any talent in UDFA this year 

Dalton Wagner I think could have some talent if he gets a year or so seasoning. I was also impressed with David Agoha and he’s very raw but an athlete, Kind of like Wilson 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rookie snaps Week 11:

Tyree Wilson 19 snaps - snaps have gone 38, 32, 22, 19 the last 4 weeks...............☹️

Michael Mayer 49 snaps - growing with each week, another competent performance and starting put together some stats.

Byron Young 0 snaps - starting to be a little concerning for a 3rd round guy, especially as he's not flashed at all.

Tre Tucker 24 snaps - targeted a few times but we still need to use him more I feel.

Jakorian Bennett 5 snaps - dropped from CB2 to CB4 or 5 but it's a long road

Aidan O'Connell 61 snaps - got exposed a bit, couple bad turnovers but I guess you could call it a learning experience.

Chris Smith 0 snaps - mildly disappointing but not unexpected.

Amari Burney 0 snaps - was he injured? Thought he might have a few after not looking out of place recently.

Nesta Jade Silvera 0 snaps - another a little disappointing after flashing a little week 9

I wouldn't say there's been any seismic changes in how the rookies are viewed from this week to last, maybe Wilson is the most obvious in that he's losing snaps over a period of 4 weeks and though he took a small step early in the season he's kind of plateaued. I'm waiting for the next step with him. Young and Wilson are probably the two to keep an eye on as they both IMO should be starting to flash something.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 10:40 AM, Darbsk said:

Rookie snaps Week 11:

Tyree Wilson 19 snaps - snaps have gone 38, 32, 22, 19 the last 4 weeks...............☹️

Michael Mayer 49 snaps - growing with each week, another competent performance and starting put together some stats.

Byron Young 0 snaps - starting to be a little concerning for a 3rd round guy, especially as he's not flashed at all.

Tre Tucker 24 snaps - targeted a few times but we still need to use him more I feel.

Aidan O'Connell 61 snaps - got exposed a bit, couple bad turnovers but I guess you could call it a learning experience.

Amari Burney 0 snaps - was he injured? Thought he might have a few after not looking out of place recently.

Nesta Jade Silvera 0 snaps - another a little disappointing after flashing a little week 9

I wouldn't say there's been any seismic changes in how the rookies are viewed from this week to last, maybe Wilson is the most obvious in that he's losing snaps over a period of 4 weeks and though he took a small step early in the season he's kind of plateaued. I'm waiting for the next step with him. Young and Wilson are probably the two to keep an eye on as they both IMO should be starting to flash something.

This rookie class is absolutely god awful so far.

On 11/23/2023 at 8:40 AM, Darbsk said:

Rookie snaps Week 11:

Heard pierce mentioning that our dt rotation is strong and the new dt guys just aren’t doing enough to crack the rotation regularly fwiw. I saw we played Wilson as a 3 tech a few snaps vs Mia.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Heard pierce mentioning that our dt rotation is strong and the new dt guys just aren’t doing enough to crack the rotation regularly fwiw. I saw we played Wilson as a 3 tech a few snaps vs Mia.

Well, strong might be a bit rich a term, but even if there’s no improvement I’d like to see the young DTs given snaps as Nicholls, Jenkins and Tillery are average at best and while there may be a little drop off the benefit is long term 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Well, strong might be a bit rich a term, but even if there’s no improvement I’d like to see the young DTs given snaps as Nicholls, Jenkins and Tillery are average at best and while there may be a little drop off the benefit is long term 

I hear you but as you see rookies snaps are either increasing or decreasing.

I gotta disagree tho Imo the dline has been playing very well Imo since pierce took over. Tillery is getting a lot of Wilson de snaps.