Raiders Rookie Watch

Darbsk

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, I thought Young would be a solid, sturdy, high floor type DT that can get into the lineup relatively quickly but he just looks so leaden footed out there. He’s pretty solid in run defence but even then, he’s not really standing out or impacting. Third round looks very rich for him at those very early stage.

Clearly looks over drafted as we mostly thought. That said, DT is one of the hardest transitions to the pros. Hopefully an offseason will get him where he needs to be. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Curious at the half season points what report card would you give the rooks

wilson = c-

meyer = c

trae= c+

byron= d

bennet = c

burney= c

nesta= c- but he’s barely played 

A lot of DEs from the first round last year aren’t looking that great.

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Curious at the half season points what report card would you give the rooks

wilson = c-

meyer = c

trae= c+

byron= d

bennet = c

burney= c

nesta= c- but he’s barely played 

Good idea man.

I guess I have to factor in the coaching and what they’ve been able to achieve despite some horrific quarterbacking and dubious coaching decisions:

Tyree Wilson, D - Very slow start, couldn’t initially do the basics but flashed elite power and length. Definitely a work in progress who is improving slowly. Appreciate he missed TC and had injury but his basics were just so poor it really held him back initially.

Michael Mayer, B - Already a very good blocker and whilst he doesn’t have the stats, he’s been open and ought to have twice the receiving yards he’s credited with. Victim of terrible QB play and coaching decisions IMO but the talent is clear to see.

Byron Young, D - He’s not been a liability when in, looks strong but has basically offered nothing in pass rush and looks leaden footed and slow. Not what you expect from a third round pick, plenty of time for him but not a promising start so far.

Tre Tucker, B - Exceeded my expectations and offers a clear deep threat and speed on end arounds. He’s another one who’s been open and been a victim of horrible QB play and under utilised. Impressed with the young man.

Jakorian Bennett, C+ - Darling of training camp and started a few games possibly too early. Has great recovery speed but rookie mistakes in coverage, has also flashed at times and like his physicality in the run game. About as good as you can expect from a 4th round pick. 

Aiden O’Connell, A - Clearly our best QB option and whilst he might not be the future, I think it’s fair to say he’s exceeded expectations and to even be in that position as a 4th rounder is very impressive.

Chris Smith, D - Was a draft pick I was really excited over but limited to STs so far. For a 5th round pick you don’t expect an immediate starter but I’m a little disappointed still that he hasn’t played D snaps at all.

Amari Burney, C+ - Practice squad mostly but when he was given opportunity the last two weeks he’s shown flashes and not embarrassed himself. Great to see a 6th round pick out there contributing.

Nest Jade Silvera, C - My favourite young DT in pre season but simply hasn’t had a chance until last game really. Showed power, leverage and a quick get off and I’m high on him but again, he needs more snaps to be able to show what he’s got. Just being in the team for a 7th rounder is great and looking forward to seeing him get more snaps moving forward.

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Clearly looks over drafted as we mostly thought. That said, DT is one of the hardest transitions to the pros. Hopefully an offseason will get him where he needs to be. 

Also Nesta Silvera looked pretty decent last week so maybe he comes along faster and Young just takes more time to develop. Maybe wishful thinking but that's why you get 7 rounds of draft picks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Good idea man.

I guess I have to factor in the coaching and what they’ve been able to achieve despite some horrific quarterbacking and dubious coaching decisions:

Tyree Wilson, D - Very slow start, couldn’t initially do the basics but flashed elite power and length. Definitely a work in progress who is improving slowly. Appreciate he missed TC and had injury but his basics were just so poor it really held him back initially.

Michael Mayer, B - Already a very good blocker and whilst he doesn’t have the stats, he’s been open and ought to have twice the receiving yards he’s credited with. Victim of terrible QB play and coaching decisions IMO but the talent is clear to see.

Byron Young, D - He’s not been a liability when in, looks strong but has basically offered nothing in pass rush and looks leaden footed and slow. Not what you expect from a third round pick, plenty of time for him but not a promising start so far.

Tre Tucker, B - Exceeded my expectations and offers a clear deep threat and speed on end arounds. He’s another one who’s been open and been a victim of horrible QB play and under utilised. Impressed with the young man.

Jakorian Bennett, C+ - Darling of training camp and started a few games possibly too early. Has great recovery speed but rookie mistakes in coverage, has also flashed at times and like his physicality in the run game. About as good as you can expect from a 4th round pick. 

Aiden O’Connell, A - Clearly our best QB option and whilst he might not be the future, I think it’s fair to say he’s exceeded expectations and to even be in that position as a 4th rounder is very impressive.

Chris Smith, D - Was a draft pick I was really excited over but limited to STs so far. For a 5th round pick you don’t expect an immediate starter but I’m a little disappointed still that he hasn’t played D snaps at all.

Amari Burney, C+ - Practice squad mostly but when he was given opportunity the last two weeks he’s shown flashes and not embarrassed himself. Great to see a 6th round pick out there contributing.

Nest Jade Silvera, C - My favourite young DT in pre season but simply hasn’t had a chance until last game really. Showed power, leverage and a quick get off and I’m high on him but again, he needs more snaps to be able to show what he’s got. Just being in the team for a 7th rounder is great and looking forward to seeing him get more snaps moving forward.

Forgot about aoc he’s not playing like a rookie and agree with his grades and the rest of your grades

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Are we judging his first start, or just the last one? Because he looked very much like a rookie against the Chargers. 

I think we have to take into account both, but obviously some mitigating circumstances in the Chargers game so maybe we weigh the judgement more in the second start than the first?

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Good idea man.

I agree with most of this. 

Wilson- D but injury has played a role. He has flashed a little but hopefully he changes this grade by the end of the year 

Mayer B- been used more as a blocker (which he's been good), stuck with bad QB and not being the 1st or 2nd read 

Young F- I thought he was a reach on need and he hasn't changed my mind. He was a late round pick in my eyes, and was projected as a day3 pick

Tucker D- He's fast, and hasn't been bad. This grade is more on McDaniels obsession for offense. There were other field stretchers on day 3. A 2nd round WR should be a straight up baller. Tucker can be good, but so far he hasn't been worth the pick. I expected him to play returner role, but Carter has that job. 

Bennett- D- he's been one of the worst corners in the league. The current state of the CB spot didn't do him any favors. Hopefully he gets better 

AOC- C- let's see how he does as starter. Very hard to grade him to this point. He looked good in preseason, but he is also a 25 year old rookie. I would think he wouldnt be raw. If he holds his own the ROS, he maybe be our QB2 for the future. That's a great pick and role. If he balls out, he could be the man and a steal of the draft 

Chris Smith Cminus-  he made the team as a 5th rounder (which is good). Hasn't  had a chance as we have two established starting safeties. 

Burney C- again, he makes the team is a good sign. Has made a few good plays, and I'm sure burned on others. Probably a depth player/ special teamer

Nesta Jade- C- hard to judge by lack of playing time. Made a few plays last game. Let's see how the 2nd Half of the year goes for him. Would have been nice to hit a home run or two on day 3 with a couple steals. 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Are we judging his first start, or just the last one? Because he looked very much like a rookie against the Chargers. 

We almost won that game if not for jmd redzone genius not to mention jmd just never adjusting on Mack 

you gonna defend Wilson but question aoc lol

6 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

We almost won that game if not for jmd redzone genius not to mention jmd just never adjusting on Mack 

you gonna defend Wilson but question aoc lol

That goes towards you too man. You think AOC is half as good as he is right now without a camp?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FloydFan said:

That goes towards you too man. You think AOC is half as good as he is right now without a camp?

Aoc looked good his first ever preseason game. I’m not sure how many reps he got in camp but I know before the charger game he had little to none. Aoc also didn’t have to start from scratch. 

Some guys are more mature and ready. Usually what you see in college Carries into the pros Imo. Still to this day no one can point out a great signature college game from Wilson. He looked like a 2nd round project to me. So his nfl struggles aren’t surprising to me.

Now aoc I saw some good games from him vs some good comp in college. Not round 1 type but early 3rd type play. You can see his maturity and coaches/players talk about that also. Like aoc said he’s always been the older guy in the college locker room. Now he’s the young older guy. He’s just a very mature rookie dudes even married.