Raiders Rookie Watch

Darbsk

On 11/23/2023 at 11:40 AM, Darbsk said:

Rookie snaps Week 11:

Tyree Wilson 19 snaps - snaps have gone 38, 32, 22, 19 the last 4 weeks...............☹️

Michael Mayer 49 snaps - growing with each week, another competent performance and starting put together some stats.

Byron Young 0 snaps - starting to be a little concerning for a 3rd round guy, especially as he's not flashed at all.

Tre Tucker 24 snaps - targeted a few times but we still need to use him more I feel.

Jakorian Bennett 5 snaps - dropped from CB2 to CB4 or 5 but it's a long road

Aidan O'Connell 61 snaps - got exposed a bit, couple bad turnovers but I guess you could call it a learning experience.

Chris Smith 0 snaps - mildly disappointing but not unexpected.

Amari Burney 0 snaps - was he injured? Thought he might have a few after not looking out of place recently.

Nesta Jade Silvera 0 snaps - another a little disappointing after flashing a little week 9

I wouldn't say there's been any seismic changes in how the rookies are viewed from this week to last, maybe Wilson is the most obvious in that he's losing snaps over a period of 4 weeks and though he took a small step early in the season he's kind of plateaued. I'm waiting for the next step with him. Young and Wilson are probably the two to keep an eye on as they both IMO should be starting to flash something.

I’m pretty sure Wilson had a sack that didn’t count because of a penalty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqGqDylUkNc

Tyree Wilson PFF grades up to and including Kansas game:

Defence Grade: 42.2     103rd/106ED

Run Defence Grade: 47.6     92nd/99ED

Pass Rush Grade: 48.6     97th/101ED

Obviously, PFF is not the be all, end all and I'm not really that impressed with them overall but it's noteworthy I think that the old eye test and the PFF grades do have some commonality. 

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqGqDylUkNc

Tyree Wilson PFF grades up to and including Kansas game:

Defence Grade: 42.2     103rd/106ED

Run Defence Grade: 47.6     92nd/99ED

Pass Rush Grade: 48.6     97th/101ED

Obviously, PFF is not the be all, end all and I'm not really that impressed with them overall but it's noteworthy I think that the old eye test and the PFF grades do have some commonality.

The eye test is why I didn't like him as a prospect. That said, he was still considered a consensus top 10 pick because of his ceiling. For Wilson it will all be a matter of if he reaches his potential. The Raiders didn't reach on a bad prospect and they have the tough task of developing him. 

The Jaguars are in a similar position with Travon Walker. They opted for the raw, high ceiling player and he's yet to turn a corner. Gary in Green Bay is another similar pick who didn't turn the corner until year 3. 

Expecting Wilson to be a day 1 impact player was always misguided. But he's barely flashed thus far. Year 2 will be critical for him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The eye test is why I didn't like him as a prospect. That said, he was still considered a consensus top 10 pick because of his ceiling. For Wilson it will all be a matter of if he reaches his potential. The Raiders didn't reach on a bad prospect and they have the tough task of developing him. 

The Jaguars are in a similar position with Travon Walker. They opted for the raw, high ceiling player and he's yet to turn a corner. Gary in Green Bay is another similar pick who didn't turn the corner until year 3. 

Expecting Wilson to be a day 1 impact player was always misguided. But he's barely flashed thus far. Year 2 will be critical for him.

I agree to an extent, though I would question his ‘ceiling’. I don’t think he’s ever going to be a true terror on the DLine as he doesn’t have the requisite explosion, low centre of gravity or aggression in his pass rush IMO.

He can, of course, work on his technique and leverage, get off etc. but I’d say at best he’s a poor man’s Carlos Dunlap. Guys like Crosby, Parsons and Watt are so sudden and explosive. Wilson has power and straight line speed but he’s a bit of a plodder to me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I agree to an extent, though I would question his ‘ceiling’. I don’t think he’s ever going to be a true terror on the DLine as he doesn’t have the requisite explosion, low centre of gravity or aggression in his pass rush IMO.

He can, of course, work on his technique and leverage, get off etc. but I’d say at best he’s a poor man’s Carlos Dunlap. Guys like Crosby, Parsons and Watt are so sudden and explosive. Wilson has power and straight line speed but he’s a bit of a plodder to me. 

He doesn’t seem like he wants it just looks so nonchalant and uninterested. Dude should’ve been excited to get snaps vs kc and try out the stuff he’s been working on. I watch him expecting the light to come on but it never does. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Rookie class is legit god awful outside of Mayer

Wilson and Young are my two biggest disappointments I think. Silvera should definitely be getting some game time too given our DTs are very average at best. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see us start Nesta the next  games and see if he can hang. Give Bryon Young PT, and expand Tre Tuckers role. I'm starting to think AOC is not even good enough to be QB2 next year. These next 4 games huge to see if he is capable as NFL QB or not. Could easily be cut with a new coaching staff if he sucks these next 4.