Jared Goff's Future

Sllim Pickens

17 minutes ago, idoubtit said:

Not sure what you are saying.

Of course age matters. But to say that wear and tear does not matter is factually incorrect.

Never said it does not matter ....in fact.... I said ....it's not just wear and tear......meaning I Knowledge wear and tear is a factor

not sure you point as you didn't read what was said really 

On 1/30/2024 at 6:07 PM, Karnage84 said:

Baker is in line for a $45M+ contract of his own. Whether that's from Tampa or somewhere else. 

So why bring him into an offense that he's unfamiliar with for basically the same money?

Another option is to just let Goff play out the next 3 years with the last year of his contract and two franchise tags. The average would probably be between $45m-$50m but we could walk away at any time. Of course, it also uses up a tag that might be more useful elsewhere. 

Whatever the case it will be interesting to see how Holmes/Disner work Goff's situation.

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

It's an uneducated statement. Facts disprove this theory 

What about the facts that the two systems Goff has done well in were designed by two of the highest regarded offensive minds in the NFL with Johnson and McVey, and Goff has played poorly in two other systems, Fisher and Lynn. 

22 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

The Lions window is maybe 3 years: I'm not wasting it seeing if Hooker can play.

Resign Goff and fully utilize this window 

Why do you want to build a team based on a window? Especially if that window is only 3 years...

There's only two ways to win the Super Bowl, and this years Super Bowl matchup proves that. You either have an elite QB that takes up most of your cap but can take over and win games regardless of his supporting cast OR you have an insane supporting cast that allows you to plug in a good but not great quarterback that can win just by not making mistakes. I'm ok with doing either but that's not possible giving Goff 50M a year. The reason we are able to win the last season and a half is because all of our best supporting players are 1. Playing at an all pro level and 2. On rookie contracts. You can't keep those players and give your QB 50M a year. 

I'm more interested in making sure our Super Bowl window doesn't close than putting all our resources into making sure it happens in the next 3 years... because if that fails and we don't get that championship, we're in another rebuild. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Why do you want to build a team based on a window? Especially if that window is only 3 years...

There's only two ways to win the Super Bowl, and this years Super Bowl matchup proves that. You either have an elite QB that takes up most of your cap but can take over and win games regardless of his supporting cast OR you have an insane supporting cast that allows you to plug in a good but not great quarterback that can win just by not making mistakes. I'm ok with doing either but that's not possible giving Goff 50M a year. The reason we are able to win the last season and a half is because all of our best supporting players are 1. Playing at an all pro level and 2. On rookie contracts. You can't keep those players and give your QB 50M a year. 

I'm more interested in making sure our Super Bowl window doesn't close than putting all our resources into making sure it happens in the next 3 years... because if that fails and we don't get that championship, we're in another rebuild. 

Doesn't sound like Holmes thinks it is a 3 year window.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

The ideal of building a team is a mirage. Teams unless you have HOF QB all have windows. You are constantly building for a short burst and then that window gone and you have to do it again 

2 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

What about the facts that the two systems Goff has done well in were designed by two of the highest regarded offensive minds in the NFL with Johnson and McVey, and Goff has played poorly in two other systems, Fisher and Lynn. 

Fisher is out of the league and Lynn hasn't gotten another OC job. So if you're going to say he's carried by great playcalling, I'd say it's fair that he was anchored by terrible playcalling.

It's a little of the in-between here. 

• Like 3

Just now, General Tso said:

Fisher is out of the league and Lynn hasn't gotten another OC job. So if you're going to say he's carried by great playcalling, I'd say it's fair that he was anchored by terrible playcalling.

Agreed. I was trying to make this point but maybe I didn't get it across that well.

• Like 1

I am of the opinion that Goff should get a payraise above Derek Carr but he doesn't have the leverage to get a Joe Burrow deal and the Lions would just be bidding against themselves if they did that. 

Simply, Goff isn't as young as Burrow/Herbert/Jackson and/or doesn't have the accolades with his current team (SB appearance or MVP).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Absolutely. If anything it further proves he's not a system guy 

25 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I am of the opinion that Goff should get a payraise above Derek Carr but he doesn't have the leverage to get a Joe Burrow deal and the Lions would just be bidding against themselves if they did that. 

Simply, Goff isn't as young as Burrow/Herbert/Jackson and/or doesn't have the accolades with his current team (SB appearance or MVP).

Probably a really good assessment 

48 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

The ideal of building a team is a mirage. Teams unless you have HOF QB all have windows. You are constantly building for a short burst and then that window gone and you have to do it again 

It's not a mirage. There's a reason certain teams make the playoffs more than they miss. If we become the team that makes the playoffs more than we miss, thats a win. Because eventually you'll break through every now and then. 

5 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Absolutely. If anything it further proves he's not a system guy 

How does this not prove he's a system guy? He only does well in certain systems. He fails in bad systems. That's the literal definition of system quarterback. 

4 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Failing in 50% of the systems he's been in proves he is not a system guy? Can you elaborate?

It's not one system. The poster was saying Goff is a product of Ben's system.

Hes succeeded outside Ben's system so his point was false