Jared Goff's Future

Sllim Pickens

4 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

It's not a mirage. There's a reason certain teams make the playoffs more than they miss. If we become the team that makes the playoffs more than we miss, thats a win. Because eventually you'll break through every now and then. 

Difference between being a perennial playoff team and a true contender 

4 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

How does this not prove he's a system guy? He only does well in certain systems. He fails in bad systems. That's the literal definition of system quarterback. 

The poster was talking about Ben's system. Period

Dont spin this beyond that. He was saying as others have that Goff is a product of Ben. Simply not true 

3 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

It's not one system. The poster was saying Goff is a product of Ben's system.

Hes succeeded outside Ben's system so his point was false 

That's not what I took from @Old Guy's post, but I won't speak for him. However I still don't see how failing in 2/3 of the non Ben Johnson systems prove your point?

55 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

The poster was talking about Ben's system. Period

Dont spin this beyond that. He was saying as others have that Goff is a product of Ben. Simply not true 

Yeah, I was kind of taking it as he was saying Goff needs a particular system and was highlighting Ben's system as an example. But I could be wrong.

54 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Difference between being a perennial playoff team and a true contender 

I'd rather be a perennial playoff team that has a chance to be in the game 2 out of every 3 years than a team that sold out to get there once before it's back to being a bottom dweller 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

I'd rather be a perennial playoff team that has a chance to be in the game 2 out of every 3 years than a team that sold out to get there once before it's back to being a bottom dweller 

Well the Rams were bad for a year and already on their way back. The model is out there.

Just trust your GM to make good draft picks.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Well the Lions were around playoffs around a lot in 90s

I would prefer a SB 

They haven't had anything since 50s. I would trade one title for more bottom dwelling at this point 

Dang yall, we just wanted 1 playoff win before this year. I'm happy that we aren't a total joke of a franchise right now. It looks like ownership and the FO aren't going to let us backslide into that and have a model for continued success. If we lost in the NFCCG again next year I'd still be happy. That was our 2nd time there in almost 70 years. A Superbowl is obviously the goal but I can't be pissed that our team exceeded all of our expectations, won 2 playoff games and barely lost the NFCCG. I haven't seen us get that far since I was 9 years old.

I'm happy with what we did, I'd be happier with consistent success and I'd probably be unable to process a Superbowl.

I may be totally alone in this, but even being around 3 weeks after the season ended felt weird. Total cognitive dissonance.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Looking at this again. The Franchise tag is only 36M (projected).

I wouldn't extend him right now. Just tag him after his deal runs out and save 10M

Gives you two years for cheaper and then work out a long term deal if you want to 

He'd probably be looking to get traded if that was the case. He's been a top 5 QB for 2+ years in this offense. He's been successful when he was in LA (it just happened to drop off toward the end. There were also rumours about McVay and JG having a dispute surrounding comments made about SM's gf-now-wife). 

If we don't want to pay him, someone will and he's not going to net some huge return like we got when we traded away Stafford. 

The NFL salary cap is projected to increase by 10% - 15% this year. Let's assume that it's 10% and it's based on the $171M for top 51. That's $17M. The equivalent of a $45M contract under this increase is now nearly $50M. You have to keep and pay your elite level/premier position players. JG is playing at a super high level and plays a premier position. He's not going to get the Mahomes-ian $500M x 10 year contract. He still deserves to get what he's owed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Looking at this again. The Franchise tag is only 36M (projected).

I wouldn't extend him right now. Just tag him after his deal runs out and save 10M

Gives you two years for cheaper and then work out a long term deal if you want to 

Franchise tags may work from a numbers perspective but most NFL players very much dislike having the franchise tag on them.  It carries the risk of doing significant damage to the relationship between the player and the team

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...