Jared Goff's Future

Sllim Pickens

I was listening to 97.1 the ticket today and they are discussing extending Jared Goff.  Given he is the top rated QB on PFF, has some pretty impressive numbers since being here, and is leading us to wins, they say its time to extend him, likely somewhere in the 4 year $200M range.  I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on extending him or waiting another year and what number you are comfortable at?

My take is that Goff has one more year on his deal after this year.  He was awful here before Ben Johnson took over as OC and he may not have Ben Johnson next year. That makes me nervous to extend him to a huge contract with big numbers guaranteed.  I am more in the boat of let him play next year if Ben is gone and see if he can keep it going under a different scheme/play caller.  Unless he wants to sign a contract that is team friendly and allows us to retain other players while keeping him here.  If he will sign a 4/5 year at 38-40 per year, I would likely be up for signing him now.  If he wants something at $50M per year or more, I think I hold off.  I don't want to start over and I am not going to put my faith of our future in Hooker, but I would be fine delaying the big long term contract for a year or two as we can franchise him the next year if needed.  

• Like 1

To me he isn't that special. He is having a good year. I look at him how I look at Cousins. They are decent enough to take you places but they are not going to take you all the way.

The FA market is going to suck. 

I would extend him for a max of 3 years. Nothing more. 

3 years- 125M

10 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

To me he isn't that special. He is having a good year. I look at him how I look at Cousins. They are decent enough to take you places but they are not going to take you all the way.

3 years- 125M

Slight raise above Daniel Jones and Carr but below the younger guys like Herbert, etc. Seems reasonable.

We have the cap space next year to frontload his cap hit and then he can be cheaper in future years when Sewell, ASRB, and Hutch need extension.

I trust our front office can make the cap work for this.

I like Goff and would like to see him extended. 

1. Hendon hasn’t even cleared medically and we don’t know what we have with him. Bridgewater is a fine backup but if we don’t extend Goff, we are right back at the beginning as far as building an offense. 

2. Lions have a window here. Goff is still only 28 years old. He’s hitting his prime at just the right time for us. 

3. I don’t want to spend $50M/per. Hopefully, he’ll agree to a team friendly deal that allows them space to keep our core intact (Penei, ARSB, Hutch, etc). 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

3 years- 125M

The bold is what I am concerned about, but if he say takes us to the NFC championship game or even the Super Bowl and we lose, that is significantly farther than Cousins has dreamt of going in the playoffs and it would be his second Super Bowl appearance.  I think he is better than we give him credit for because he and McVay didn't work out and he was traded as a throw in with the Stafford deal.  But he had some really good years there and is having better years here.  I don't think he is a top 5 QB talent wise, but he probably is becoming a top 10 QB.  

I do feel like the perception of Goff when he arrived is hurting him in fans eyes now and people are unable to change their opinions on him.  I truly felt similar to you about Goff two years ago but he has started to change my mind with how he is developing and leading this team and I am open to further change in opinion.  

• Like 1

I'd say you do a 3 year, $150M extension and spread it out a bit over 2024, 2025 (y1), 2026 (y2), 2027 (y3). Maybe toss in a void year to spread it out a bit more. Front load most of the guaranteed money. 

His agent isn't going to accept $35M/year despite being rated one of the best QBs on one of the best offenses on (likely) a playoff team. I agree with Slim, he's probably better than he was given credit for. He's also not Tom Brady. 

31 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd say you do a 3 year, $150M extension and spread it out a bit over 2024, 2025 (y1), 2026 (y2), 2027 (y3). Maybe toss in a void year to spread it out a bit more. Front load most of the guaranteed money. 

His agent isn't going to accept $35M/year despite being rated one of the best QBs on one of the best offenses on (likely) a playoff team. I agree with Slim, he's probably better than he was given credit for. He's also not Tom Brady. 

I would not do 50 per year avg.

Run away from that fast 

Given some of the QBs who have come through Detroit I am a little surprised to see folks being open to moving on from Jared Goff already.  Can't say I really enjoyed the Joey Harrington Era.  I cant recall having a QB on the roster with his skills and playoff experience.  People tend to forget that Jared Goff played pretty well for the Rams at one point and made a couple of Pro Bowls.  His performance really tanked but I think Sean McVay got into his head and torpedoed his confidence.  Folks said wait to see how he plays in to 2023.  Well, it is 2023 and he is playing like one of the top QBs in the NFL so far.  He is a lot better at making throws under pressure.  His accuracy and ball placement have also gotten much better.  He has cut way back on the fumbles.  He has found a good balance between risk-taking and avoiding INTs.  He has even added some sneaky mobility to his game.  He doesn't have "Stafford Arm Strength" but as with the other parts if his game, his deep throws have gotten better.  He has been pretty durable also.  I didn't think he would improve from the end of last season but he is playing better than last year in some very important areas.  Bottom line for me:  He is playing like a Top 5-10 QB despite not getting much from Jameson Williams to this point.

Do I think Jared Goff could get us to a Super Bowl win with this team?  Yes.  He has played well in our biggest games so far.  He knows what it takes to get to a Super Bowl.  I suspect he learned a lot from that.  Can he do it without Ben Johnson?  I would lean towards yes because when Dan Campbell was doing the play calling he played pretty well.  I think if Ben Johnson moved on, I the offense might change but the blueprint for putting Jared Goff in a position to succeed would not change too much.

Jared Goff deserves a ton of credit for putting his career back on-track with the Lions.  As far as an extension goes, I would favor an extension that keeps him here until he is 31 or 32 years old.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GoffJa00.htm

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Given some of the QBs who have come through Detroit I am a little surprised to see folks being open to moving on from Jared Goff already.  Can't say I really enjoyed the Joey Harrington Era.  I cant recall having a QB on the roster with his skills and playoff experience.  People tend to forget that Jared Goff played pretty well for the Rams at one point and made a couple of Pro Bowls.  His performance really tanked but I think Sean McVay got into his head and torpedoed his confidence.  Folks said wait to see how he plays in to 2023.  Well, it is 2023 and he is playing like one of the top QBs in the NFL so far.  He is a lot better at making throws under pressure.  His accuracy and ball placement have also gotten much better.  He has cut way back on the fumbles.  He has found a good balance between risk-taking and avoiding INTs.  He has even added some sneaky mobility to his game.  He doesn't have "Stafford Arm Strength" but as with the other parts if his game, his deep throws have gotten better.  He has been pretty durable also.  I didn't think he would improve from the end of last season but he is playing better than last year in some very important areas.  Bottom line for me:  He is playing like a Top 5-10 QB despite not getting much from Jameson Williams to this point.

Do I think Jared Goff could get us to a Super Bowl win with this team?  Yes.  He has played well in our biggest games so far.  He knows what it takes to get to a Super Bowl.  I suspect he learned a lot from that.  Can he do it without Ben Johnson?  I would lean towards yes because when Dan Campbell was doing the play calling he played pretty well.  I think if Ben Johnson moved on, I the offense might change but the blueprint for putting Jared Goff in a position to succeed would not change too much.

Jared Goff deserves a ton of credit for putting his career back on-track with the Lions.  As far as an extension goes, I would favor an extension that keeps him here until he is 31 or 32 years old.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GoffJa00.htm

Not one single post here was all about moving on from him.

not one

you have to consider moving on based on cost at some point

Yet again a misleading response by you though. Not one person was saying absolutely move on from him. Not one.

cost is a factor at some level regardless of his play 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Not one single post here was all about moving on from him.

not one

you have to consider moving on based on cost at some point

Yet again a misleading response by you though. Not one person was saying absolutely move on from him. Not one.

cost is a factor at some level regardless of his play 

What does the title of the post imply?  His contract expires after the 2024 season.  From where I am sitting, the original post talks all around that possibility.  Cost does matter but there is no other answer at QB on the roster right now.  

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

What does the title of the post imply?  His contract expires after the 2024 season.  From where I am sitting, the original post talks all around that possibility.  Cost does matter but there is no other answer at QB on the roster right now.  

The original post talks about resigning him for 4/5 years. Each poster mentioned resigning him. 

6 hours ago, General Tso said:

You guys act like he didn't play well when Dan Campbell took over the playcalling in 2021. 

I'm also confident we have a Ben Johnson successor in-house: Tanner Engstrand, passing game coordinator. The offensive system won't change.

I love Ben Johnson, but I believe we will be fine when he moves on. I believe DC doesn't get enough credit and I firmly believe this is his offense. BJ benefits greatly from it. Goff will continue to be fine because if BJ leaves, DC is still going to make sure the right pieces are in place to get the job done for Goff. As far as Goff goes, he drives the team down the field. What more is he supposed to do? No, he doesn't have a howitzer, but that's not his game. He is what, 12-3 in his last 15 games. How many QBs can claim that in Lions history? How many QBs can claim that in the last 15 games? He's playing lights out. Pay him now and in 5 years it will be looking like a deal. Front load it while we have a ton of rookie contracts. I have no issue with it either way. But if you wait until next year and he takes us deep in the playoffs both times, his price is going up.

The only thing I would wait on is if we make it into the playoffs and we can get some sort of discount (which in reality I doubt he does that).

Edited by LionArkie