GB's and Jerry Straps: Dallas and Chargers

HDsportsfan

GB: Honestly, not many options to choose from. I'm tempted not to give any out. But CD does deserve one. I guess Parons for the sack. Obviously the timing was perfect.

Jerry straps" The refs, of course some were legit, but god damn they were everywhere. Their arms must hurt. Gallup, and of course the play calling and coaching.

Posted this in the game thread but I'll put it here too with some analytics attached as per another forum I browse.

Of Dak's 9 incompletions, 8 were to Gallup. Gallup average chance for completion per target based on his position, the situation, the coverage, route difficulty and pressure on the QB: 84.3% with a low of 44.2% skewing that or it'd be much higher. And it was still 8 misses.

Lamb caught 7 of 7. His average change per completion based on the same analytical data on the same forum? 72% with a low of 32%. Safe to say Lambs a beast. 

Is TE a problem on this team? Maybe. Dak's best performance of the season so far was likely tonight, and there was only 1 pass thrown to a tight end all night and the team ran more three wide, 1 TE and four wide, 0 tight end than at any other point this season.

For all of the glamor of last year's offense and crap MM gets for his offensive style being so bland and simple...to this point last season, the offense is averaging more points, more yards per play, and a higher third down conversion percentage. Although skewed as this time last year,wasn't this game 2 of Rush? Either way, still something to think about.

48.8% third down conversion percentage on the season, even with the terrible third down performance against Arizona.

• Like 1

Gameball:

Dan Quinn. He bailed out Mike McCarthys poor clock management decisions at the end of month halves.

Dak. Hell of a game. You can tell he really wanted to win. And the way he physically pulled the ball back out of Pollards arms on that TD run read option was both funny, and proof he saw just in time he had a free run to the end zone.

Terrence Steele. Easily the most consistent offensive lineman on the team this year let alone in the game. Yes, I really said that. Yes, I know Martin is still here and a hall of famer when he retires.

Jocks:

Mike McCarthy. Terrible clock management at the end of both halves. First time likely cost us a touchdown, could have cost us easy points entirely and kept the game closer than it needed to be at halftime. At the end of the game, more poor clock management calling for a deep shot when grinding clock and sealing a victory should have been priority. That time of game management costs teams wins.

Special teams, aside from Aubrey. They weren't special. Sub par returns. Poor blocking on returns. Turnover late. And realize it or not, the final field goal Aubrey made was on a fairly low snap that was barely set upright in time.

Gallup. 11 targets but only 3 catches. I'd see if we could snag a 5th or 6th for him before week the trade deadline. Guys dead weight and Tolbert deserves more playing time.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

2 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

GB: Honestly, not many options to choose from. I'm tempted not to give any out. But CD does deserve one. I guess Parons for the sack. Obviously the timing was perfect.

Jerry straps" The refs, of course some were legit, but god damn they were everywhere. Their arms must hurt. Gallup, and of course the play calling and coaching.

So Dak going 21 of 30 for 270 yards and a score despite getting beat up under pressure all game, a 14 play 60 yard GAME WINNING/comeback drive, plus rushing for 40 yards and a scored doesn't deserve a game ball? Or how about escaping the sack on a collapsed pocket like an Eli Manning super bowl 2007 impression,.running to the edge and still looking down field the whole time, and finding an open receiver across his body not only saving a broken play/sack but making a big, game saving throw in the process? That play alone is easily a GB. Hell that's the same play essentially that won Eli a SB MVP.

And I guess Cooks clutch time grabs don't deserve one either...ok....

And maybe you just don't believe in giving gameballs to coordinators

Edited by Dallas94Ware
  • Like 1

GB.   Dak Lamb Cooks Aubrey DLaw Odig Bell Bland Clark Parsons 1 play wonders Gilmore Pollard

JS.  penalties. Gallup Tolbert OL run blocking 

HM coaching. I liked the play calling even I guess sticking with the run but 2min time management was a disaster.  And going for it I guess is okay but on a day you’ve got zero push with your OL you try a power run????    

• Like 1

I’m glad we won, but I would say, I don’t know that this game made me feel a lot better about our long term potential. The offensive design is a real mess, and I think Herbert volunteered a really bad game more than we forced one. And ST was a mess. Special shout-out to Michael Gallup for being extra bad.

That said, a couple really bright spots for game balls:

-Cowboys landed DaRon Bland, Marquese Bell, and Damone Clark from the 2022 draft class for just 2 5th round draft picks. What a trio.

-Brandon Aubrey - stud

-Dak - played extremely well, despite bad offensive design, a leaky OL, a lot of penalties from his teammates, and a WR trying to sabotaging him.

4 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

GB - Bell. Thought he played a fantastic game.

JS - Gallup. Dallas dumped Coop and dished out a significant contract for a next to useless WR. He’s atrocious.

Glad to see people here acknowledge Bell. I was high on him when I did my little predraft researching on guys. And he fits Quinn's scheme perfectly ..

Edited by Dallas94Ware

Just a final little add on to my thoughts

have to give the defense a GB for run D. Do not know how much no I formation helped but they did a good job here. 

I also am really worried about our secondary going forward we were bailed out of 2-3 big plays by Hubert totally missing wide wide open receivers down field.  Parsons was effective first half but mostly MIA second half until that sack this worries me a bit also. 

oh will put it here to be fair Dak had a incomplete pass to Mckeon (drop) as well

On 10/17/2023 at 6:37 AM, DaBoys said:

GB: Dak, Lamb, Aubry, BELL 🔔 , Osa, Gilmore, Bland, Cooks, Dlaw, Herbert

JS: Gallup, Tyler Smith, Pollard, run blocking, Refs, Keenan Allen

Nice to see Tyler get some fingers pointed at him as well.

I'm not saying he doesn't hold a tremendous amount of promise as an offensive linemen because he totally does and it doesn't take a genius to see that.

But this is like, the third game this season where I find him lost in space. When he should be doubling up with the center, he's turning to the outside and allowing a linebacker through and a nose to mow over Biadasz. I've seen him hit through to the second level on the extra effort, then fail to finish and let the linebacker right around him.

Not to mention, penalties.

I can take the penalties if he is manhandling defenders every down, but combining penalties with mental mistakes and an occasional lack of effort is too much for me as a fan to accept from a player who has the power to maul like a young Zack Martin and the feet to track a rushed like a young Tyron Smith. 

Maybe it's the change in protection schemes, with a bigger emphasis this year on power blocking and initiating contact. Maybe he is just not clicking with Mike Solari, his position coach. Idk. But this is three games in a row now where he has been more liability than asset.