2023-2024 NBA GDT: Offseason

11sanchez11

28 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

How?

Scoffing at taking Lauri Markkanen over him. Sengun is good but he's absolute trash defensively and tbh I really don't think he's some elite playmaker. He's a good passer for a C, but I think a lot of people unfairly assume he's going to be the next Jokic because he's a C who can pass a little bit. He ranks in the 54th percentile as a post up scorer, 52nd percentile as the PnR roll man, and the 64th percentile as the PnR ball handler. 

For reference, Jonas Valanciunas ranks in the 76th percentile as a PnR roll man and the 74th percentile as a post scorer. Jonas is a better defensive player, and if he was allowed to take 16 shots a night I'm sure he could put up the numbers Sengun does (not the assists obviously).

So, Sengun is a middle of the road guy in PnR and post up scoring. He can't really shoot. He's an awful defender. I just don't see the appeal, and especially as a #1. I think he can be a nice piece for a contender but he's certainly not a #1. He's probably not a legitimate #2 either. I just don't see it. He's allowed to touch the ball a lot and take a lot of shots on a bad team but I've never watched a Rockets game and felt like wow that guys going to take a team places. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kingram said:

Scoffing at taking Lauri Markkanen over him. Sengun is good but he's absolute trash defensively and tbh I really don't think he's some elite playmaker. He's a good passer for a C, but I think a lot of people unfairly assume he's going to be the next Jokic because he's a C who can pass a little bit. He ranks in the 54th percentile as a post up scorer, 52nd percentile as the PnR roll man, and the 64th percentile as the PnR ball handler. 

For reference, Jonas Valanciunas ranks in the 76th percentile as a PnR roll man and the 74th percentile as a post scorer. Jonas is a better defensive player, and if he was allowed to take 16 shots a night I'm sure he could put up the numbers Sengun does (not the assists obviously).

So, Sengun is a middle of the road guy in PnR and post up scoring. He can't really shoot. He's an awful defender. I just don't see the appeal, and especially as a #1. I think he can be a nice piece for a contender but he's certainly not a #1. He's probably not a legitimate #2 either. I just don't see it. He's allowed to touch the ball a lot and take a lot of shots on a bad team but I've never watched a Rockets game and felt like wow that guys going to take a team places. 

You must have forgotten the fact he is just 21 years old and his defense has improved significantly year 3. IIRC Sengun ranks in the top 10 in NBA defensive win shares and 11th in defensive box plus-minus. At least thats where he was ranked in Dec heading into January.

Edited by Texansfan713

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

You must have forgotten the fact he is just 21 years old and his defense has improved significantly year 3. IIRC Sengun ranks in the top 10 in NBA defensive win shares and 11th in defensive box plus-minus. At least thats where he was ranked in Dec heading into January.

I didn’t forget. He could certainly get better, right now I don’t see a guy who’s going to be a #1. He’s an atrocious defensive player. NBA defensive metrics are historically unreliable. He gets abused on that end. 

2 hours ago, adamq said:

Why is Tatum 75-1 for MVP when his team has the best record? Jokic and Shai are the favorites right now 

Because he's not putting up that great of a season.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

luka is insane, sometimes he will just play perfect basketball

Dallas has failed him as poorly as Cleveland failed LeBron the first time around.

• Like 1