The MVP race

Steelersfan43

6 hours ago, Melbourne 9er said:

Maybe this was why McCarthy kept him the game against the worst defence in the league and risked injuring him when the game was all over? Can't see any other reason to continue to play him after going up by 18 half way through the 3rd quarter. Hell, I can't see why Dak even saw the field after half time.

Contrary to popular opinion, most players don't like taking a week off prior to the playoffs as they like to keep their pattern/habits so unless they're older and have injuries, most will play.  

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You know why, no QB stats pads in more meaninglessness games better then Dak Prescott. Up 25 pts in the 3rd QT and still playing?

Jerry probably had a point total/statistical number already set for McCarthy to hit, trying to get Dak MVP , trying get Lamb WR yardage leader.

They just never thought It would take 3 QT against that defense to get it. 

lol no they just weren't paying attention and never thought Philly would get blown out by the Giants and thought they had to win to win the division / #2 seed (they did since DET won)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Thought I did but apparently I shorted them thanks to ESPN.

Dak: 4750yds 38 TD 9 INT 2 FL (11 TO) 105.9PSR 72.6 QBR

Lamar: 4499yds 29 TD 7 INT 6 FL (13 TO) 102.7PSR 65.1 QBR

Brock: 4424yds 31 TD 11 INT 2 FL (13 TO) 113.0PSR 72.8 QBR

Lamar played one less game AND he plays in a division/conference with much much better defenses.

I really don't see what difference Dak throwing an extra TD would have made to this "conversation." Everyone knows it's Lamar, who didn't even play in Week 18. Who cares about Dak's stats against a terrible Commanders team and a head coach who was already having his office cleared out? He could've thrown for 10 TDs and it wouldn't suddenly make him the league's most valuable player.

But he's definitely in the conversation for 2nd place, for all that's worth. Good for him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I really don't see what difference Dak throwing an extra TD would have made to this "conversation." Everyone knows it's Lamar, who didn't even play in Week 18. Who cares about Dak's stats against a terrible Commanders team and a head coach who was already having his office cleared out? He could've thrown for 10 TDs and it wouldn't suddenly make him the league's most valuable player.

But he's definitely in the conversation for 2nd place, for all that's worth. Good for him.

Statistically it'd be relevant as I can't remember the last time the TD Leader had a 4:1 TD:INT ratio and DIDN'T win MVP (maybe Brees?)

EDIT: in fact I think he'd have had led the NFL in TD:INT ratio with a. 4.7:1 vs. CJ's 4.5:1

Edited by MaddHatter

12 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Lamar played one less game AND he plays in a division/conference with much much better defenses.

Dak: 280ypg 2.23 TD/G 0.53 INT/G 0.76 TO/G 105.9 PSR 72.6 QBR
Lamar: 281ypg 1.81 TD/G 0.43 INT/G 0.81 TO/G 102.7 PSR 65.1 QBR
Brock: 276ypg 1.94 TD/G 0.68. INT/G 0.81 TO/G 113.0 PSR 72.8 QBR

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, the MVP race was over after Lamar's Dolphins performance. Lamar played well all season but in two marquee games back to back, he played phenomenal. 

Dak had a great season though and was very worthy of being an MVP candidate.

I agree - storyline is 100% relevant and his performance against the top Super Bowl contender in the NFC and against a top AFC opponent were huge and probably WHY he will win the MVP, my question was only relevant because I can't recall the last time the QB who led the NFL in TD's and in TD:INT ratio DIDN'T win the MVP.

28 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Thought I did but apparently I shorted them thanks to ESPN.

Dak: 4750yds 38 TD 9 INT 2 FL (11 TO) 105.9PSR 72.6 QBR

Lamar: 4499yds 29 TD 7 INT 6 FL (13 TO) 102.7PSR 65.1 QBR

Brock: 4424yds 31 TD 11 INT 2 FL (13 TO) 113.0PSR 72.8 QBR

Oh I thought Lamar had more than 29 TDs.

Bet that would be lowest TD total for a QB MVP in a Long time

44 minutes ago, Soggust said:

We made our mind up already about the MVP last week and it's clearly Lamar.

With that being said, I do think Cowboys fans have a legitimate gripe and I would be a bit salty if I was one.

Nah, Lamar had a great year and was glad to watch him play again.  He deserves the MVP as much as anyone, I was just curious if Dak had a chance had he hit those two major stats (Total TD and TD:INT ratio).  As it stands, his games against Buffalo and Miami are too recent and too ugly/not enough to offset what LJ did in back to back primetime games.

Just now, Nobellythrower said:

Dak is going to get first team all pro though, reports are lamar wins mvp but not 1st team all pro

That's probably fair.

20 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Nah, Lamar had a great year and was glad to watch him play again.  He deserves the MVP as much as anyone, I was just curious if Dak had a chance had he hit those two major stats (Total TD and TD:INT ratio).  As it stands, his games against Buffalo and Miami are too recent and too ugly/not enough to offset what LJ did in back to back primetime games.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Lamar is the leading passer and rusher on the best team in the league. I've no issue w/ him being the front-runner. Makes me feel good that Jordan Love had 7 more TDs and only 1 more turnover than the league MVP though ;)

Sorry if I came off wrong here.

I do think Lamar has a strong and simple argument of "Best player on best team", which traditionally wins MVP.

I have no issue with him winning it and actually kind of like it because now I can terrorize the Bengals fans all offseason with Lamar > Burrow takes. 

But I do think that Dak beats him handily statistically this season and I can see Cowboys fans making a case that it's worth an extra team win. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Lamar is the leading passer and rusher on the best team in the league. I've no issue w/ him being the front-runner. Makes me feel good that Jordan Love had 7 more TDs and only 1 more turnover than the league MVP though ;)

To be fair, just to highlight the subtle nuance that gets buried when talking about aggregate Touchdowns, Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon had a combined 4 touchdowns between them. Gus Edwards had 13 touchdowns, almost all of them coming from within 5 yards or less. Similar stories when talking about teams like the Bills and Cowboys as well. 

Point being the Ravens using the path of least resistance to capitalize on their red zone opportunities (i.e. riding Gus Bus) shouldn't be looked as a detriment to Lamar's MVP case, when more often than not those same red zone opportunities came as a byproduct of Lamar driving the team down the field, extending plays, converting on third downs, etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Soggust said:

That's probably fair.

It's fair to both, lamar and the ravens have like a top 5 least time trailing spent in nfl history so his stats won't be up there but also gotta bring up going undefeated in the gauntlet without his #1 target and his best 2 running backs , while dak is clearly the best statistically quarterback 

• Like 1