Week 8: San Francisco 49ers vs Cincinnati Bengals

J-ALL-DAY

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yup, as long as you recognize you're choosing to invest your time in something that you have no control over, makes you consistently irritated to the point that it's getting "tiresome", can decide to stop viewing for the elixir but won't, then it's all gravy. :)

That fact that the Niners losing makes me so irritated shows how big of a Niners fan I really am. I live & breath winning as it's the only thing that matters in sports!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, straighthate said:

I’ve seen tantrums like this from my 8 year old. When he was 4. I explained to my 4 year old that if the others don’t want you around, just walk away.  I still think that’s solid advice today. 

Let me know if I can help. 

The only thing I "straighthate" is going 29+ years without a SB win!

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

WUT... If all it takes is Steve Wilkes nuking Bosa's ability to get sacks, then he doesn't deserve that new contract. 

It is an alignment issue that is allowing Bosa and Hargraves to be doubled every play.  I saw it on JohnnyDel, but it makes a lot of sense.

Last year, we would stack three guys on one side, slide Warner into the B gap, and have Bosa on the outside with Huganga and/or Greenlaw around somewhere.  It forces the center to make account for Warner, which allows Bosa to get a slight advantage.  If they double Bosa over and over again and ignore Warner because he drops back 90% of the time, they start to use fire calls where Warner reads the guard and attacks. 

The reason we can do it is because of Warner and Huf they are good at reading the field and getting back into position.  The extra spacing is what lets the 49ers run stunts and stuff with 4.  

This was our base play last year, and I don't recall seeing it yet this year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

It is an alignment issue that is allowing Bosa and Hargraves to be doubled every play.  I saw it on JohnnyDel, but it makes a lot of sense.

Last year, we would stack three guys on one side, slide Warner into the B gap, and have Bosa on the outside with Huganga and/or Greenlaw around somewhere.  It forces the center to make account for Warner, which allows Bosa to get a slight advantage.  If they double Bosa over and over again and ignore Warner because he drops back 90% of the time, they start to use fire calls where Warner reads the guard and attacks. 

The reason we can do it is because of Warner and Huf they are good at reading the field and getting back into position.  The extra spacing is what lets the 49ers run stunts and stuff with 4.  

Yep, I have made mention to this the last few weeks. The way Saleh and Ryans were able to free up Bosa even when teams were trying to chip or double is the goal. Wilks is not showing much creativity and just because you blitz does not make it creative nor is it always smart. I hate to say it because I did like the move when it was announced but we should have possibly stayed in house like we did with Ryans. 

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, I have made mention to this the last few weeks. The way Saleh and Ryans were able to free up Bosa even when teams were trying to chip or double is the goal. Wilks is not showing much creativity and just because you blitz does not make it creative nor is it always smart. I hate to say it because I did like the move when it was announced but we should have possibly stayed in house like we did with Ryans. 

Yeah, I am starting to agree.  It's like bruh, call cover 3 and get paid.  The formula is simple.

We are just neutralizing our own guys by lining them up in traditional easy to read formations.   We can run 2 3 or 4 from the off balance formation with Warner in the B gap, and Greenlaw/Hufanga close to the line.  It is hard to read on multiple levels.  Layer reads are harder, center field open/close reads take a quick second longer, and even man/zone reads are more complex when we use creative alignments.

The movement of the players looks different to the eye when Warner starts out at traditional Mike, then drops in to coverage.  It is an easy read for the QB, just like he has practiced his entire life.  When Warner is over the B gap, the QB has to wait for warner to catch his feet before he can make any determination on the Coverage from reading the mike.  That is just the one dude.  We could go through each player and talk about how the alignment helps make their job easier, and the things they have to do to compensate for their positioning on the field. 

I am not quite ready to bring out the pitchforks and torches.  I liked the Wilks hire too.  I thought we would continue what Salah and Ryans started, but add a couple of fire concepts  late in games.  I was also hoping he could add value to the secondary depth.  So far it has been underwhelming,  it only took Ryans about four or five weeks to get on his feet.  Salah's first year was too hard to evaluate to draw any conclusions of his readyness.

Maybe we should kick him out of the booth and have him coach from the sideline.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

1 hour ago, adamq said:

So what are you saying? Kyle and Lynch aren't good enough to get us a SB win? That is hilarious 

If & when Kyle & Lynch get the Niners to a SB win I'll believe it when I see it! If the team had a franchise QB to rely on then I'd be more of a believer in winning a SB but right now it's just wait & see b/c 29 years is a long time for an organization that once prided it selves with winning SB's. 

7 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

If & when Kyle & Lynch get the Niners to a SB win I'll believe it when I see it! If the team had a franchise QB to rely on then I'd be more of a believer in winning a SB but right now it's just wait & see b/c 29 years is a long time for an organization that once prided it selves with winning SB's. 

Where is this magical franchise QB going to come from, and why can't it be Brock? You know, the guy who won 12 straight games last year?

As it turns out, they could have picked all 4 of Lance, Wilson, Fields, and Jones & still not have the guy

And you sound quite spoiled. 29 years actually isn't long at all compared to most teams. Kyle has gotten them there once and was a dropped Tartt INT from getting to another.. maybe you should learn to enjoy every game and not solely care about a trophy at the end of the rainbow 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, adamq said:

And you sound quite spoiled. 29 years actually isn't long at all compared to most teams.

Was curious about this and this appears to be right in the median for the league:

• 14 teams- Chiefs(2022), Rams(2021), Bucs(2020), Patriots(2018), Eagles(2017), Broncos(2015), Seahawks(2013), Ravens(2012), Giants(2011), Packers(2010), Saints(2009), Steelers(2008), Colts(2006), and Cowboys(1995) have won more recently
  • 5 teams- Commanders(1991), Bears(1985), Raiders(1983), Dolphins(1973), Jets(1968) have a longer drought
  • 12 teams- Vikings, Bills, Bengals, Falcons, Panthers, Chargers, Titans, Cardinals, Browns, Lions, Jaguars, Texans have never won one
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, adamq said:

Where is this magical franchise QB going to come from, and why can't it be Brock? You know, the guy who won 12 straight games last year?

As it turns out, they could have picked all 4 of Lance, Wilson, Fields, and Jones & still not have the guy

And you sound quite spoiled. 29 years actually isn't long at all compared to most teams. Kyle has gotten them there once and was a dropped Tartt INT from getting to another.. maybe you should learn to enjoy every game and not solely care about a trophy at the end of the rainbow 

They could of had Mahomes in 2017 draft and that would've been a start. If the Niners had won any of the 5 SB's without a HOF franchise QB then I'd be more optimistic about winning a SB with a Brock Purdy but that seems to only happen to teams with an Eli Manning, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Ben (2005), Nick Foles. If the Niners had won it before with those types then yes I'd be hopeful.

As far as the failures of 2019 & 2021 well those linger the longer this SB drought carries on. The lack of a QB flat out failed this team in the 2019 SB and again in the 2021 NFC title game.

5 hours ago, NFL Network said:

That fact that the Niners losing makes me so irritated shows how big of a Niners fan I really am. I live & breath winning as it's the only thing that matters in sports!

Ok. I'll see you out on the field!!! :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

5 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Yes. But Bosa has also slowed down in getting sacks since the end of last season. So he may just be on a huge dry spell regardless of the DC switch. 

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yes. But Bosa has also slowed down in getting sacks since the end of last season. So he may just be on a huge dry spell regardless of the DC switch. 

I have no idea if this is a stat that exists, but I feel like the % of plays where Bosa gets blocked by two linemen is significantly higher, and the percentage of plays where he gets chipped by a skill guy is also higher. 

I'm not sure if it's just a feeling.   I might need to take my feelings to a therapist, lol.

39 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I have no idea if this is a stat that exists, but I feel like the % of plays where Bosa gets blocked by two linemen is significantly higher, and the percentage of plays where he gets chipped by a skill guy is also higher. 

I'm not sure if it's just a feeling.   I might need to take my feelings to a therapist, lol.

Seth walder and ESPN have tracked it for a couple of years. Previously, Bosa hasn't been doubled a ton. I'm pretty sure ebukam got doubled last year more than Bosa. 

Different this year. He's at the top of some of the premiere pass rushers, tied with Parsons in terms of pass rush, but those guys are still performing. Bosa has a pretty soft win rate, tbh.  I'm not a huge fan of win rate being all encompassing (some of the data is mostly a who cares scenario where they aren't impacting the play)