Week 8: San Francisco 49ers vs Cincinnati Bengals

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

It’s such a weird thing and obviously 100% psychological. One one hand you can’t have him playing scared or he won’t be throwing with anticipation and trying those aggressive throws, but on the other hand he has to understand that he has great guys around him that can help him come back and he doesn’t have to do it on his own.

Obviously I don’t have the answer on how to fix this, I really think that is something that he’s got to figure out himself; and hopefully he does.

Not to sound overly corny and cliche, but he kind of reminds me of that quicksand scene from the replacements right now. He’s got a little Shane Falco thing going on maybe. 

The venom isn't as strong with this rhetoric if Moody simply makes that field goal at least. That would be one "he got us out of that jam" Purdy could hang his hat on. Also, the Raiders game last year when the defense played like doo doo, and Robie missed a game-sealing FG. Purdy yet again got the team to win the game late. 

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The venom isn't as strong with this rhetoric if Moody simply makes that field goal at least. That would be one "he got us out of that jam" Purdy could hang his hat on. Also, the Raiders game last year when the defense played like doo doo, and Robie missed a game-sealing FG. Purdy yet again got the team to win the game late. 

Yeah I guess I’m more referring to the Vikings and Bengals games. It’s like he just fell to pieces. The Browns game he definitely put us in a position to win. 

44 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

After he tried to give the ball away. Credit where it's do for what he ultimately did, but both the Raiders and Cleveland game shows a degree of recklessness late in close games that aligns with what happened against Minnesota and Cincinnati.

The passes against Cleveland and Vegas just happened to not be picked. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

After he tried to give the ball away. Credit where it's do for what he ultimately did, but both the Raiders and Cleveland game shows a degree of recklessness late in close games that aligns with what happened against Minnesota and Cincinnati.

True, but that can happen whenever, wherever (Lewis Billups Super Bowl 23). As long as it works out I try to not think too much about the elseworld scenario personally. Sometimes the triggerman needs to roll the dice in the most dire of circumstances. And sometimes it will require the last possession down to the last second. Time will tell if it becomes a bad habit more so than bad luck. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

With that being said when the Niners were 5-0 I saw many passes Purdy threw that should've been picked and were dropped or the Niners WR had to break them up or in some cases make a great catch to steal it from the defender. 

Coming into this coming week the Niners offense has attempted the 3rd fewest passes per game and how much of that do you think has to do with them not trusting Purdy to throw it a lot? If you take away the run or get a lead on the Niners to take away the run then it's big trouble when the offense has to be one dimensional towards the pass.

13 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

With that being said when the Niners were 5-0 I saw many passes Purdy threw that should've been picked and were dropped or the Niners WR had to break them up or in some cases make a great catch to steal it from the defender. 

Coming into this coming week the Niners offense has attempted the 3rd fewest passes per game and how much of that do you think has to do with them not trusting Purdy to throw it a lot? If you take away the run or get a lead on the Niners to take away the run then it's big trouble when the offense has to be one dimensional towards the pass.

Nope, that's just Shanahan's offense, and having a lead. 

2016 Atlanta Falcons offense:

Rushing attempts: 5th

Passing attempts: 26th

Matt Ryan won MVP that season. 

It's a run-the-ball first offense. Not a passing offense. By design never has been, never will be. This rhetoric goes back to Papa Shanahan on both his 49ers/Broncos championship seasons. Steve Young won MVP when the 49ers were 18th in pass attempts. Broncos ranked no higher than 20th in 97, and 98. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Nope, that's just Shanahan's offense, and having a lead. 

2016 Atlanta Falcons offense:

Rushing attempts: 5th

Passing attempts: 26th

Matt Ryan won MVP that season. 

100% Kyle’s offense has always been predicated based off the success of our run game. It will in turn set up our playaction and deep shots since they will more than likely place an additional player in the box putting 1 v 1 on the outside. 

Edited by StevenK

Just now, StevenK said:

100% Kyle’s offense has always been predicated based off the success of our run game. It will in turn set up our playaction and deep shots since they will more than likely place an additional player in the box putting 1 v 1 on the outside. 

NEED MOAR RUN BLOCKERS WHEN!!????

I don't know about being perfect on 67/70 plays or how that is even quantified but I did say after the game that Purdy was damn near perfect through three quarters....because he was. There's so much high level stuff that Purdy does and one of his problems is that he makes it too easy that folks think that it is all Shanny lol.

I still have questions about him performing that way when he is pressed and needs to make plays down the stretch. I'm sorry, but he's going to need to prove he can get it done in the clutch and still maintain all his strengths. 

• Like 2