Week 8: San Francisco 49ers vs Cincinnati Bengals

J-ALL-DAY

53 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The defense allowed 22 points against the Vikings. Mahomes has more than plenty of times won games where he needed to score only 23 points even with a limited run game. This is not a Herbert type of situation where he loses when the defense allows over 25 points and wins at a high rate when they allow less than that amount.

The offense has scored 17 points in three consecutive games. Purdy had TWO opportunities to win the Vikings games and ended up throwing a pick. He was one bonehead play away from tying the Bengals game. One of the TDs allowed came from his own INT. If the Bengals end up scoring 24 points, that is a winnable game. 

Purdy is contribution to these "seemingly insurmountable circumstances" with his 4th Q INTs. 

Mahomes is also a generational wizard, and in his 7th season. If your expectations for Brock evolved from a nice pleasant surprise as the last pick in a draft to now being able to match magic with one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time in less than 20 games started, then you were setting yourself up to be disappointed. He's had a rough stretch where he's been forced to work without a sputtering run game, as spotlighted by our persona non grata chum. That's all it is. 

You know, the other day I was just watching Brady's (first year starter) 2001 game against the Broncos where he threw 4 4th quarter INTS, and the Patriots of course lost. Earlier this year I saw Montana (first year starter) throw picks on back to back drives (both in his own territory, one a pick-6) against the Steelers, both leading to TDs. 49ers almost lose that. 

Point is, even the greats have first year jitters, and rough stretches where they seemingly nuke the game away. This isn't a big deal that it's being made out to be. Even after three losses, where it really should be two losses. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Mahomes is also a generational wizard, and in his 7th season. If your expectations for Brock evolved from a nice pleasant surprise as the last pick in a draft to now being able to match magic with one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time in less than 20 games started, then you were setting yourself up to be disappointed. He's had a rough stretch where he's been forced to work without a sputtering run game, as spotlighted by our persona non grata chum. That's all it is. 

You know, the other day I was just watching Brady's (first year starter) 2001 game against the Broncos where he threw 4 4th quarter INTS, and the Patriots of course lost. Earlier this year I saw Montana (first year starter) throw picks on back to back drives (both in his own territory, one a pick-6) against the Steelers, both leading to TDs. 49ers almost lose that. 

Point is, even the greats have first year jitters, and rough stretches where they seemingly nuke the game away. This isn't a big deal that it's being made out to be. Even after three losses, where it really should be two losses. 

My man, do you even know why this was brought up in the first place? Did you even read Lombardi's tweet? Why bring up Mahomes up in the first place? Lombardi didn't have to but he knew what he was doing. This is why you defending him is so hilarious.

And I have high expectations for Purdy who I think is a really really good QB. I'm not down on him from his last two 4th Q meltdowns. It happens, he just needs to overcome it for us to win a SB. I made mention how Purdy was damn near perfect for nearly three quarters of both the last two games. 

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

My man, do you even know why this was brought up in the first place? Did you even read Lombardi's tweet? Why bring up Mahomes up in the first place? Lombardi didn't have to but he knew what he was doing. This is why you defending him is so hilarious.

And I have high expectations for Purdy who I think is a really really good QB. I'm not down on him from his last two 4th Q meltdowns. It happens, he just needs to overcome it for us to win a SB. I made mention how Purdy was damn near perfect for nearly three quarters of both the last two games. 

Who cares!!!! Who should Lombardi have said instead of Montana or Mahomes? And overall, it's a positive take on a negative situation anyway. I myself just brought up Montana and Brady struggling in their first starting year in comparison to Purdy. Do I have an evil agenda too??? :)

Ok, well yes we share the same opinion on Purdy with your second paragraph overall. And he'll probably overcome it. 

12 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Who cares!!!! Who should Lombardi have said instead of Montana or Mahomes? And overall, it's a positive take on a negative situation anyway. I myself just brought up Montana and Brady struggling in their first starting year in comparison to Purdy. Do I have an evil agenda too??? :)

Ok, well yes we share the same opinion on Purdy with your second paragraph overall. And he'll probably overcome it. 

Well, he DID mention those two and he mentioned those two for a reason. But it was flawed all along. Anyways.......

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wilks being forced to make some changes??

You think changes are needed? What's wrong with this: 

Announcer: "oh man, the Young, Bosa, Hargrave absolutely collapse the pocket. The QB is on the move...finds a receiver for a quick 5 yard gain at the hash...breaks a tackle as Hufanga goes flying by....receiver is off to the races and finally knocked out of bounds after a pick up of 26"

• Like 4

I was thinking...What makes Purdy as good as he is? It's his ability to see the field quicker than others as Romo put it and just the general understanding of defenses. I think what is happening late in games is that he is starting to press some when down and his best strength goes out the window. He is no longer trying to process the field or taking what the defense is giving him. Then it comes down to him trying to force passes and then his limited physical skillset gets exposed. Purdy is best when he is in control. Being down does not allow him to be that. So how does it change? Purdy said the right things after the game but is this something he can fix with more opportunities in late games? Or will he always be shaky in these situations ala Nick Mullens? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was thinking...What makes Purdy as good as he is? It's his ability to see the field quicker than others as Romo put it and just the general understanding of defenses. I think what is happening late in games is that he is starting to press some when down and his best strength goes out the window. He is no longer trying to process the field or taking what the defense is giving him. Then it comes down to him trying to force passes and then his limited physical skillset gets exposed. Purdy is best when he is in control. Being down does not allow him to be that. So how does it change? Purdy said the right things after the game but is this something he can fix with more opportunities in late games? Or will he always be shaky in these situations ala Nick Mullens? 

He just needs to stop playing hero ball and trust in the offense imo. The game doesn’t need to be won in one play, just stick to what you know and move the ball down the field. 

Even though that pass to CMC ended up being a TD, that was a risky throw to make and he had another to Kittle I think that was a cross body across the middle that was risky too. 

Sure he’ll get away with these some of the time, but most of the time he doesn’t need to. 

Just now, GW21 said:

He just needs to stop playing hero ball and trust in the offense imo. The game doesn’t need to be won in one play, just stick to what you know and move the ball down the field. 

Even though that pass to CMC ended up being a TD, that was a risky throw to make and he had another to Kittle I think that was a cross body across the middle that was risky too. 

Sure he’ll get away with these some of the time, but most of the time he doesn’t need to. 

But the thing is....can he stop playing that way when he is down? Like he no longer feels in control and is rushed a bit. I think he loses his biggest strength. I don't have a problem with what he was doing with the CMC/Kittle plays but the thing is if he doesn't play the same way that he plays in the first three quarters of the game, then some of the things he lacks in get exposed. 

Like you can count on one hand on how many mistakes Purdy has made through the first three quarters of all the games combined....And then down the stretch in games where the team is down he has made five or six the last few weeks. 

With Deebo/Williams returning, the offense and the team will be better so we will go back to dominating a lot of these games...but you can't dominate everyone and when we play the Eagles, Seahawks, Ravens etc, those games will be competitive and Purdy will need to be money down the stretch. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But the thing is....can he stop playing that way when he is down? Like he no longer feels in control and is rushed a bit. I think he loses his biggest strength. I don't have a problem with what he was doing with the CMC/Kittle plays but the thing is if he doesn't play the same way that he plays in the first three quarters of the game, then some of the things he lacks in get exposed. 

Like you can count on one hand on how many mistakes Purdy has made through the first three quarters of all the games combined....And then down the stretch in games where the team is down he has made five or six the last few weeks. 

With Deebo/Williams returning, the offense and the team will be better so we will go back to dominating a lot of these games...but you can't dominate everyone and when we play the Eagles, Seahawks, Ravens etc, those games will be competitive and Purdy will need to be money down the stretch. 

It’s such a weird thing and obviously 100% psychological. One one hand you can’t have him playing scared or he won’t be throwing with anticipation and trying those aggressive throws, but on the other hand he has to understand that he has great guys around him that can help him come back and he doesn’t have to do it on his own.

Obviously I don’t have the answer on how to fix this, I really think that is something that he’s got to figure out himself; and hopefully he does.

Not to sound overly corny and cliche, but he kind of reminds me of that quicksand scene from the replacements right now. He’s got a little Shane Falco thing going on maybe. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kirk Cousins used to have this problem with late-game turnovers when he was a starter in Washington. He eventually sorted it out. It can be done.

Random tidbit I'm reminded of, Philip Rivers was strikingly hideous in 4th quarter/GWD opportunities. And he's a borderline HOF player. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1