Week 8: San Francisco 49ers vs Cincinnati Bengals

J-ALL-DAY

31 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Something else. I didn't know that the Jaguars will also be coming off BYE when the 49ers play them. 3 out of the last 4 opponents for the 49ers coming off a BYE. Not great. 

I didn’t know that either. I was hoping for some kind of advantage lol.

58 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Something else. I didn't know that the Jaguars will also be coming off BYE when the 49ers play them. 3 out of the last 4 opponents for the 49ers coming off a BYE. Not great. 

Warren Sharp complained about our schedule earlier this year because it has an almost an awful rest disadvantage. Worst in the league. 

I think we play 4 teams coming off their bye.

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Warren Sharp complained about our schedule earlier this year because it has an almost an awful rest disadvantage. Worst in the league. 

I think we play 4 teams coming off their bye.

Yes I heard that might be the case, and it really sucks if that's true. 

I completely forgot the 49ers were AT Jacksonville. Oh boy that's not good. 

23 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

But on a serious note, I don't see how the 49ers could move on from Wilks during the season. The coaching staff has no one with experience calling defenses. Everyone can talk about Kocurek but we have no clue how that would play out is he an X and Os guy?

I'd love for the 49ers to bring in a defensive-minded consultant who has experience. 

I would like to see them promote a guy who knows the in's and outs of the defense the 49ers have been running for the last five years.  The alignments are different than what Ryans and Salah did.

I am not sure if they can outright fire WIlks, but they can reduce his influence and his say in the play calls.  I wouldn't hate seeing someone else get more input into which type of plays to run, and which formations to run them out of, etc..  These base formations are lame and are getting the guys burnt.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I feel like there is only one team that can beat the 49ers, The 49ers! Unfortunately the 49ers are 0-3 against themselves the last three weeks.  

10 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He's actually kind of right though. History backs that up if you spotlight Joe Montana's 1982 season. Worst rushing attack in the league, and a defense that ranked 2nd in points regressed to 23rd. Montana lead the league in TD passes in 1982 (strike shortened season), but even he couldn't overcome a one dimensional offense with little defensive support. Drew Brees had a handful of these type of seasons in New Orleans. For 23 year old Brock Purdy, who probably won't be in Canton someday, it's a lot to expect. 

Stop defending this man please. 

Purdy was facing a 17-10 deficit before he made his own bed. 

Purdy was only down 5 the week prior before making his own bed. 

Those aren't insurmountable circumstances he was facing. He just needs to play better down the stretch. Purdy does that then this team will be back in the hunt. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Stop defending this man please. 

Purdy was facing a 17-10 deficit before he made his own bed. 

Purdy was only down 5 the week prior before making his own bed. 

Those aren't insurmountable circumstances he was facing. He just needs to play better down the stretch. Purdy does that then this team will be back in the hunt. 

Why? In this instance he made a valid point which merely piggybacked off someone else lmao. Doesn't matter if it was someone that generally annoys you that made the point. 

The running game has been hideous, key offensive pieces have been MIA, and the defense has been bad in pretty much every area. Extrapolate that over the rest of the season, and yes then it would be insurmountable circumstances for most quarterbacks. Purdy has had his own struggles which I also dinged him for in crucial situations. But if anyone expected him in his 2nd year to drop back, and start consistently dragging the struggling squad out of 4th quarter holes that was gonna be a tall order. He might never be that player, especially in this offense, and more importantly with less than 20 games under his belt. 

If Moody makes that kick in Cleveland the dumping on Purdy isn't even that nasty as it has been in recent days. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Why? In this instance he made a valid point which merely piggybacked off someone else lmao. Doesn't if it was someone that annoys you that made the point. 

The running game has been hideous, key offensive pieces have been MIA, and the defense has been bad. Purdy has had his own struggles which I also dinged him for in crucial situations. But if anyone expected him in his 2nd year to drop back, and start consistently dragging the struggling squad out of 4th quarter holes that was gonna be a tall order.

If Moody makes that kick in Cleveland the dumping on Purdy isn't even that nasty as it has been in recent days. 

Valid my ***. You know what he was trying to do. 

Can't evaluate what he sees on the field worth a crap. Relies on flawed advanced stats that he does not even know how they work. This is the same man that tried to act like Jimmy G was a top 5 QB for years because of his EPA success. Jimmy G has a good week 1 and he highlights it all over twitter of his high EPA ranking....THROUGH WEEK 1 and how Jimmy has always been a good QB. Then Jimmy has been utter crap since then and it's been crickets. No more mention of Jimmy and his EPA ranking.  

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Valid my ***. You know what he was trying to do. 

Can't evaluate what he sees on the field worth a crap. Relies on flawed advanced stats that he does not even know how they work. This is the same man that tried to act like Jimmy G was a top 5 QB for years because of his EPA success. Jimmy G has a good week 1 and he highlights it all over twitter of his high EPA ranking....THROUGH WEEK 1 and how Jimmy has always been a good QB. Then Jimmy has been utter crap since then and it's been crickets. No more mention of Jimmy and his EPA ranking.  

This has become a crusade for you lol. 

His point about Montana was correct though regardless if he randomly mentioned something that seemed like fluff. It legit happened. As for Purdy, like I said if the defense/run game operates like it has been the last couple of weeks the rest of the season then it will be seemingly insurmountable circumstances even for higher profile quarterbacks. Let alone a 2nd year starter. 

A lot of people that work in football media don't know what they're evaluating on the field. We can go after many more of them on a consistent basis if we so choose to have an axe to grind. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

This has become a crusade for you lol. 

His point about Montana was correct though regardless if he randomly mentioned something that seemed like fluff. It legit happened. As for Purdy, like I said if the defense/run game operates like it has been the last couple of weeks the rest of the season then it will be seemingly insurmountable circumstances even for higher profile quarterbacks. Let alone a 2nd year starter. 

The defense allowed 22 points against the Vikings. Mahomes has more than plenty of times won games where he needed to score only 23 points even with a limited run game. This is not a Herbert type of situation where he loses when the defense allows over 25 points and wins at a high rate when they allow less than that amount.

The offense has scored 17 points in three consecutive games. Purdy had TWO opportunities to win the Vikings games and ended up throwing a pick. He was one bonehead play away from tying the Bengals game. One of the TDs allowed came from his own INT. If the Bengals end up scoring 24 points, that is a winnable game. 

Purdy is contribution to these "seemingly insurmountable circumstances" with his 4th Q INTs.