Week 8: San Francisco 49ers vs Cincinnati Bengals

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

No, but if they aren't the top seed or maybe the two seed, then I don't really care. 3-7 is largely whatever

So just to clarify you do agree that not getting homefield or playing all playoff games on the road will result in this team not advancing to the SB? They sure as hell ain't winning in Philly in January.

3 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

So just to clarify you do agree that not getting homefield or playing all playoff games on the road will result in this team not advancing to the SB? They sure as hell ain't winning in Philly in January.

I don't think that they beat Philly regardless of where they play. But I also think it's a pretty big assumption to think that they will have to play Philly. 

Outside of that, again, don't really care. If you're  3-7, you're not playing opponents that scare me home or road and anyone can beat anyone on any given sunday in those spots 

We have been moving the ball very well the last two weeks but have had some killer TOs and missed FGs that have hurt the offense's production. I agree that the offense will be fine but Purdy still has to show he can win these tight games and protect the ball. He has NOT shown that at all and there is no way this team can win a SB without him having to overcome this at some point in the season. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that they beat Philly regardless of where they play. But I also think it's a pretty big assumption to think that they will have to play Philly. 

Outside of that, again, don't really care. If you're  3-7, you're not playing opponents that scare me home or road and anyone can beat anyone on any given sunday in those spots 

But who else outside of Philly scares you? I still think Dallas is a problem if the good Dak shows up and they have serious revenge on their minds. The Lions may or may not be a formidable opponent. Also the Seahawks are the team that can play a serious role with regards to how far the Niners can go b/c I don't expect any better than a split with them. The NFC South winner shouldn't be a problem for the Niners.

You are correct they might not have to play Philly b/c they might not make it that far depending on where they're seeded. 

Just now, NFL Network said:

But who else outside of Philly scares you? I still think Dallas is a problem if the good Dak shows up and they have serious revenge on their minds. The Lions may or may not be a formidable opponent. Also the Seahawks are the team that can play a serious role with regards to how far the Niners can go b/c I don't expect any better than a split with them. The NFC South winner shouldn't be a problem for the Niners.

You are correct they might not have to play Philly b/c they might not make it that far depending on where they're seeded. 

Nobody, that's why I don't really care if they win the division or not. If you're not the 1 or seed its mostly the same. I'll give a little benefit to being the 2 seed, but it's not much. 3-7 is whatever. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nobody, that's why I don't really care if they win the division or not. If you're not the 1 or seed its mostly the same. I'll give a little benefit to being the 2 seed, but it's not much. 3-7 is whatever. 

Yes but the Niners getting the #2 seed last year gave them homefield until Philly. This year I don't trust them as a wildcard team playing a game in Dallas or Seattle. 

Also if for some reason another team upsets Philly then it becomes huge if the Niners can get the #2 spot b/c it means you're home for as long as you last. With that being said I can see the Cowboys upsetting Philly in the playoffs as well as next week. 

49 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lol

This isn't just wilks 

I know these circus plays are LOL, but they are also pressures.  Check out where Warner is lined up, then check the pressure. Watch where warner lines up every play for the rest of the game after this. 

It's not all on Wilks, but man, he has more experience than any player, he has a pretty easy job, and he is the one person on that side of the ball that can make all 11 guys play better, or worse.  

The defensive playcalling has sucked, hard.  I am reading these zones from the TV angle pre-snap, and I am just a regular dude.  

A bunch of guys getting pressures on one play is a poor representation of why our defense has struggled.  The guys can't hit the QB in the head or shoulders, below the waist, or trow him to the ground.  We all now act surprised when they don't tackle the QB the first time?  It's not like Joe Burrow could have done this 27 times to complete 27 passes.  It would be far more concerning had our guys been blocked for 7 seconds straight. 

Find plays where warner starts FIve yards off the ball, then back pedals on his first step while a rb runs toward his chest.  You'll find like 10 of those.  I feel those are more emblematic of why they team has sucked on defense.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

This man is seriously such a moron. Suboptimal results? The team was literally in a great position being down 17-10 with an opportunity to tie the game before Purdy made one of the dumbest plays a QB could make. This has nothing to do with being put in awful situations. The defense had held up well enough to only allow 17 points through three quarters. If Purdy doesn't turn it over and we score a TD on that possession, then the game is completely different. You are looking at a tie game going into the 4th quarter.

The second INT was also just a bad throw and read. Purdy was AWESOME before those two plays but those two plays played a big part in the team taking a loss. It's okay to admit that. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sherman kind of went off on Wilks and said changes will be made and Kyle is fed up at this point lol.

Making changes alone is not going to fix the defense but I do think it can play a whole a lot better. Time to do it now. 

Man, 3 in a row.  That hurt my feel bads.

Not entirely sure where the blame goes on the defensive side of the ball.  It just seems like the guys are out of position to make the plays they usually do.  Maybe that's scheme.  Maybe offenses have figured out a way to mitigate the scheme.  Maybe Wilks was sent in as a spy to sabotage the tea.....okay, probably not.   

Offensively, I just find it really hard to believe that Deebo/Trent makes THAT big of a difference.  Kyle tends to get in ruts once a year and figures it out eventually.  Hopefully, that comes soon.  

On a side note, 6 years ago today, I posted this on my Facebook and I cracked up when I read the memory:

"Welcome to the Niners, Jimmy Garoppolo!

Your left tackle is Zane Beadles and your right tackle is Erik Magnuson.  Can I sign your cast, please?"

• Like 1