2023 GDT Week #8 Steelers host the Jaguars

Steeler Hitman

2023 Week #8 Weekly Poll Question  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Steelers take advantage of two generous/lucky wins to build upon going forward?

• Yes. They have three winnable games at home to help build upon.
    • No. They have been more lucky than good and won't grow from this.
    • Have No Clue. The only thing consistent about the Steelers is their inconsistency.

12 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I think we are trying to say the same thing in different ways. Yes the bad punting needs to be corrected and didn't help us in this game, deserves to be pointed out.

HOWEVER if you play better offense, the punting is irrelevant because the idea is to not have to punt at all. 

I wouldn’t disagree with this at all. 

What frustrates me is you took it off the quote rather than what lead to it. And that’s what I hate about reporting at times. So a 95% not your fault issue. 

The question asked was clearly a set up to try to get Tomlin to tee off on the offense since he was asked about short field issues. But I tell you what, this is where Tomlin is smart. He’s not going to ever give that headline comment.

Personally I think it was a good sidestep. He didn’t give the headline statement, and I think, getting the reaction he wanted. He doesn’t want the “Tomlin said the offense stinks” out there. He wants the “why worry about punting when the offense can’t help” thing out there while also saying “we didn’t help ourselves in any phase of the game.”

Just kinda expanding on the thought process some though of why I have no problems placing some blame on Harvin:

We struggle to move the ball. If that’s a secret I got beach front property in Siberia for you. But offenses tend (across the league) to be conservative in their own zone and take shots between the 40’s. When you know that, the best way to get into the shot zone (shockingly where most our TDs the last two years have come) is to flip field position and get there from the start. So when inconsistent punting even takes the chance away from that it’s hard not to point it out as part of the problem. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

Just now, jebrick said:

I saw this elsewhere.  Basically, the refs are told not to call those on FGs and extra points which goes to Tomlin saying he has never seen that call before.

Yea.  I read this morning that one of the things the NFL is going to do in order to reduce the Brotherly Shove is to enforce this part.  But yea, basically that and the interlocking of legs to drive on FG’s/PAT’s are things in the rules that are supposed to be ignored.  

The deep thinker one I saw was that is was supposed to go against the Jags and 26/25 (can’t quite see the number), but after calling it wrong, the refs were too embarrassed to go back and fix it so they rather just take the heat for messing it up.

51 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Jackson Krueger made a good saying in todays video:

Steelers offense relies too much on perfect throws to perfect routes making superstar plays for a bunch of “nice” players. 

seems like a offense that would of been fine...in 2005, but offenses and defenses have evolved since then. Matt really belongs in college as a OC. He might be a decent run game coordinator or something like that on this level, but he's no NFL OC.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

I missed this part on the TV broadcast 

I hate to tell them that the Line judge straddles the neutral zone.  The line they have drawn is off the right foot of the LJ.

But still, according to a former chief of officiating, they should not call that foul.

28 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I hate to tell them that the Line judge straddles the neutral zone.  The line they have drawn is off the right foot of the LJ.

But still, according to a former chief of officiating, they should not call that foul.

so when was the last time they called this ? Maybe thats the question, because will they continue to call this moving forward?   We didn't deserve to win  but the refs need to let the teams play according to the rules, thats all we can ask. The refs won't boo canada out of the stadium or anything miraculous, we all know that 

WITF is going on with this oline bros? Is it a mix of things? Coaching? Talent? Missing on draft picks? Injuries? Cause they are getting whupped up on and look like an overmatched hodgepodge of donkey out there. If this team could just get 3.5 a carry they could be kinda dangerous. I know Najee is a beaten down rodeo clown almost and Pickett is well on his way to a David carr career imo, and the coord is not good but ffs, it’s looks like their new to this thing called blocking. I guess I’m just frustrated like everyone here, but they’re sinking this entire ship with their incompetence when they could possibly beat everyone in their division.  Who is sabotaging this season? Moore? Lt? Rt? The center? Good f’n grief

also, does anybody know Heywards status or Fitzpatrick’s? Thanks bros. I don’t wanna see any damn propaganda that loos on the positives unlike the reality I see when I watch this team. Just  builds up hope and then erases it I guess. 

3 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

WITF is going on with this oline bros? Is it a mix of things? Coaching? Talent? Missing on draft picks? Injuries? Cause they are getting whupped up on and look like an overmatched hodgepodge of donkey out there. If this team could just get 3.5 a carry they could be kinda dangerous. I know Najee is a beaten down rodeo clown almost and Pickett is well on his way to a David carr career imo, and the coord is not good but ffs, it’s looks like their new to this thing called blocking. I guess I’m just frustrated like everyone here, but they’re sinking this entire ship with their incompetence when they could possibly beat everyone in their division.  Who is sabotaging this season? Moore? Lt? Rt? The center? Good f’n grief

also, does anybody know Heywards status or Fitzpatrick’s? Thanks bros. I don’t wanna see any damn propaganda that loos on the positives unlike the reality I see when I watch this team. Just  builds up hope and then erases it I guess. 

I honestly agree it starts with the Oline. Their miscues and mishaps are for me the #1 ingredient in all the bad mix. I've been asking all year why Pat Meyer gets such a pass from the media and even praised. For what? All of the olineman seem to struggle to comprehend his techniques and theories and to go a long with that those theories dont always seem to align with the Offensive coordinators play calling intent. Combine that clumsiness, out of position, wrong sides, wrong doubles..

After that then you can dawg on Canadas at time sporadic play calling or lack of awareness of rhythm and situation. Sometimes just understanding the temperature of the room. I also think Tomlin plays into that last part with our 50/50 shots etc when we need 2 yds to get our first first down etc.  

I dont think that the Olines talent is that much lesser than everybody else, just that their understanding and "precision" or (lack there of)  which is a term that shouldnt even be used in the same paragraph with this Oline keep them from even seeming adequate at times

• Like 2