2023 GDT Week #8 Steelers host the Jaguars

Steeler Hitman

2023 Week #8 Weekly Poll Question  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Steelers take advantage of two generous/lucky wins to build upon going forward?

• Yes. They have three winnable games at home to help build upon.
    • No. They have been more lucky than good and won't grow from this.
    • Have No Clue. The only thing consistent about the Steelers is their inconsistency.

I knew we were going to lose after that first drive when DJ dropped two passes.    I feel like KP's success is very much reliant on rhythm and confidence, and I think that first drive killed it from the start.

If those had been completed, it may have been a different game.   Not necessarily great....but maybe enough to win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFF said:

The players change…the coordinators have changed…the results are the same.

Nothing will change til they make a change.

feels like the results are getting slightly worse tho 3 loses by double digits, no easy wins. getting blown out by hou who just lost to Carolina... this is a sinking ship

Second steeler game I've been to in Pittsburgh...Pickett gets knocked out of the game, it's, raining, the offense sucks. Same thing last year.double reverse on the rain? Jet sweep to Heyward, that was a gem. Kenny threw two decent balls downfield to start the game but Dieonte dropped both. But the worst of the worse is Najee, they need to trade his ***...he doesn't want it...his vision also sucks.

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

but this has been a problem for years tho and with different players....

And different Oc's.  Getting different players or coaches doesn't mean they are the right coaches or players. As I said, I am not saying I am against some changes even taking a strong look at the HC. But because I may want this, I am not going to just put the blame on the area I want to change.

Jacksonville made plays and the Steelers didn't. They pressured our QB more, hell knocked him out of the game. They were able to keep grinding and moving the ball. Despite the turnovers, we forced one punt. The team is getting beat PHYSICALLY week in and week out. We were winning with spurts and have been outgained and or outrushed every game. 

They had a chance to start hot and players didn't make plays. Early pass pressure, etc. It's the same every week and it wasn't because of a jet sweep or because they were not prepared for what Jacksonville or anyone else would do to beat this team.

I agree with the group about the mediocrity/parody. The Jags are a good football team, but this was a very winnable game if some plays had been made, especially after some of the mistakes the Jaguars made. This team couldn't take advantage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It’s like the fan table pounding for a pass catching flex TE happened, and they decided to feature it. Darnell Washington being a 0 is unacceptable. 

I think he only has like 2-3 targets in 7 games, with Pat being out for most of it. Unbelievable

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

While I agree with you, let's go through this team..

Kenny Pickett -- ain't the guy.

I can't say that right now without the supporting cast.  Our OL has been garbage for the most part. He is taking hits, getting constant pressure,a nd has had no consistent rushing attack. Plus he seems to have had some bad luck.  Two droppoed passes early that could have gotten this offense some confidence and rythmn. I've seen this too much over his 19-20 game career. Kenny is still just a littlw more than a rookie game experience wie with little support. This I do fault the coaching on.

Najee - is a career backup bulldozer

I am just not on the Njaee hate train. Yes, he has not looked like a great back. Yes, he makes some mistakes, but as stated, earlier has he been put in the best position to succeed?  Your OL plays a huge part in you RB being successful. Plus I see the fire and character in this guy. He is a leader and despite the adversity he has not folded up and does not have a hissy fit when things go bad.  I think this team would miss Najee like someone who would trade their wife for Instagram model. 😉

Dan Moore - sucks

He needs to be a swing tackle. His pass blocking is horrendous and run blocking is not concistent. 

Chuks Okorafor - Sucks worse

I have never been a Chuks fan.  As I continue to say, we need some maulers on the OL. We need some phone booth maulers who want to kick people's butt. I am almost ready to see Herbig start on the right side.  That part of the OL gets as much push as a feather trying to stay put in a hurricane.

Mason Cole - is a career backup

Yep. Just doesn't have the strength and is not suited for what this team needs him to be. He is a classy guy and great teammate, but yes, not what we need as a starting Center. I have been calling to add a future franchise Center since Pouncey was on the team.

Pat Friermuth - Can't block for ****.

Can't seem to stay healthy either. Loved him coming out, but he has not grown as a blocker and we don't throw to him or any of the TE's not named Connor.

We got 2-3 WRs that should be on the field. Has Robinson even played this season?

We don't throw to him. We have the consistent behind the LOS checkdown to both backs. 

On defense, Adams continuing to start is a joke. We don't have a starting DE between Leal, Loudermilk, and whomever else is rotating in combined. 

This is a root cause as to why we are getting beat. As much as everyone says "passing league," you have to be abel to consistently stop the run and flip the down in distance. Run defense decent early, but Jacksonville stuck with it and then the offense was able to have success.

Wallace and Patrick Peterson should be cut and we got 1 Safety on our roster that should be.

Very disappointed with both. Patrick Peterson even moreso because he talks a big game, but doesn't  produce.  As much as we criticized Edmunds and Maulet, we miss them.

We currently have 1 CB on our roster that is relevant.

Hopefully they try to make a trade for the Bears CB Johnson. He is better than anyone else on the roster not named Porter. He is young and while not over the top great, would be better than anything else we have and with our pass rush, may look even better.

The Players are doing what they're capable of.

Some, but not others. The other part is that this is a team game. You have to play together. This team doesn't do enough of "the little things consistently." Pickens makes a catch, but acknowledges his catch rather than knowing the situation and getting on the ball.  Not calling him out, but little things like that.  That is culture and leadership (not necessarily the coaches as much as players).  When the Jags had that situation, even though it was a catch, they ran a play before it could be reviewed. Those are the little things that good teams do. Pittsburgh has to mature here. The penalties by Dionte and Pickens last week in LA could have cost the game. That;s player leadership.  

The coaches and GM (Colbert) brought these guys here. 

No doubt, but let's be honest, evaluating players is not an exact science. I don't think it is so much that everyone is so bad as much as they are not doing "little things" to be successful.

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

I knew we were going to lose after that first drive when DJ dropped two passes.    I feel like KP's success is very much reliant on rhythm and confidence, and I think that first drive killed it from the start.

The team has got to change that.  When the Steelers were having success they were able to jump on teams and keep their foot on their throats. 

If those had been completed, it may have been a different game.   Not necessarily great....but maybe enough to win.

I agree.

• Like 1