The Michigan/Sign Stealing & COVID Punishment Thread

BobbyPhil1781

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38804628/ads-offer-support-tell-commissioner-big-ten-step-up

A few noteworthy items:

*UM’s AD was NOT on the call. Sorry @ramssuperbowl99

*While no potential punishments were discussed, Petitti acknowledged speaking with the NCAA about its investigation, although he refused to divulge any details of that conversation, sources said. One of the issues Petitti brought up with the athletic directors was that he couldn't make a decision on Michigan this season based on a whim, that he would need a set of facts to go off.

The conversation with the NCAA hints at his willingness to find out the fact set the NCAA could be working toward. It's not known whether the NCAA would be willing to share information, but it's telling that the organization gave the Big Ten an initial heads-up on what was alleged, an action taken in part to protect the integrity of games.

(On phone can’t quote)

*Next steps are speaking with B1G Presidents

*They could go down a sportsmanship violation to use B1G discipline, but that still is bureaucratic.

*This call was one of support for the new Commish as opposed to the coaches who wanted their pound of flesh now

*Unrelated article, but Purdue’s coach has said he has video and ticket sales receipts to show multiple times they were at Purdue games doing the same stuff

Fans are gonna hate this because it sounds like nothing is getting done but that's all pretty reasonable to me.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Could be that they knew their signs were being stolen but not how and to what extent, or even to what degree.

This is my point to it. I was thinking it of it like an employee stealing from a company. You might know it's being done, but you're not exactly sure. So you might switch up processes and procedures in an attempt to thwart it, but if you're not sure of the way it's being done, it might be all for naught.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Changing signals sounds great, but doing it takes a LOT of time, frankly time most coaches don’t have barring a big break between games ala TCU having weeks as opposed to days. You can’t just switch up signs to that degree without a significant heads up in advance, certainly not mid flow of the game.

Right? I mean you spend an entire offseason into the season using these to learn them. Now you have a week/few weeks to change it all? All while gameplanning etc? I don't think it's just THAT easy. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Lol anonymous poll of coaches right ? No one that’s willing to put there name on it ? No idea who any of them are or what school or bias they may have?  Quotes and polls from sources that are to big of cowards to put there name behind it mean nothing . This is a strategic PR hit job 

But if the WaPo had done it, it would have been okay right? I think you referenced them in the past. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

* If these schools have known about it why did it take a UM alum to turn this in? In todays social media world any University could have easily blown lid off this

Because for the rest of time, you're a snitch. The NCAA is still going after Harbaugh for expensing a cheeseburger, they suck, and everyone knows by the letter of the law every single school is dirty or has been dirty.

Let he who is not without sin cast the first stone kinda deal.

* If schools knew about it for couple years why did schools not change up signs or get creative to stop it. Not condoning it but why was TCU warned but their own school didn't change their signs? Makes no sense there.

Slippery slope of paranoia. Just because you know they are stealing signs doesn't mean you know which ones, how thorough they are about it, etc.

Making kids re-learn all of the signs week to week probably opens up more room for execution errors than just dealing with the fact that Michigan is gonna have an advantage on a handful of plays.

* So you have a known infiltrator attending games and you aren't ratcheting up security on sideline?

Head coaches aren't responsible for setting game security, that's contracted with local PD or university PD or private security. The coach would need to explain why, and "football espionage" is gonna lead to follow up questions big time.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

Ohio State plays Michigan the week of Thanksgiving every year. Which means student athletes would have to relearn signals during a short Holiday week 

This basically creates a situation 

1. Let the other team have a huge advantage

2. Scramble and probably be unprepared and deal with execution issues 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rackcs said:

I think Michigan is going to keep playing it out and see what happens. If they can just push through this for this season and win the championship, it probably will still feel worth it to the school/team/alumni even if the title gets stripped away later.

They have no other option.

The NCAA and B1G would have to be nuts to offer a deal, and the cats out of the bag already so they may as well open up the standard fight, delay, and muddy the waters playbook. No other option except burning Harbaugh.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I actually agree with him there. We're seeing a lot of accumulation of things, but double checking, fact finding, and reports take time. It's a hard decision, and I get that. He's in a very tough spot. 

I 💯 agree with him. He needs a smoking gun and if he gets it, he will ban UM from the B1G Title Game, which will effectively kill their season probably.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I 💯 agree with him. He needs a smoking gun and if he gets it, he will ban UM from the B1G Title Game, which will effectively kill their season probably.

There's also a power element here. This is the first mega scandal of NIL college football, so there's precedent to be set here.

If I'm the B1G president, the more I can do to get a punishment out in front of the NCAA the more I continue to delegitimize their authority.

• Like 2

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

There's also a power element here. This is the first mega scandal of NIL college football, so there's precedent to be set here.

If I'm the B1G president, the more I can do to get a punishment out in front of the NCAA the more I continue to delegitimize their authority.

If he gets a smoking gun, I think you’ll see a “for now” designation as well.

On the “wasting time” note, we had like 2-3 things we’d deliberately put on film for other coaches to have to gameplan for and implement with their players. Those 2-3 things would take an hour to three hours a week to address in PRACTICE TIME.

The colorful messages I’d get from coaching buddies watching film on a Saturday morning was hilarious.

So yeah, changing all signals means having a mandatory meeting, spending essentially ALL practice time using those new signals in every bit of your practice to gain familiarity, and even then it won’t be enough time to build muscle memory the same way spring practice or a bowl layoff does. 

24 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I actually agree with him there. We're seeing a lot of accumulation of things, but double checking, fact finding, and reports take time. It's a hard decision, and I get that. He's in a very tough spot. 

Its only going to take forever because there are so many claims being presented from different programs that each one is like its own investigation. Just drag it out long enough for nothing to happen this season, then Harbs can run to the NFL with his tail between his legs and watch his former program get the hammer dropped on them in 2024 while hes coaching the Bears.

Trust me, the B1G doesnt want anything to happen and they will drag their feet on this for the sole fact that big money is involved by 2 B1G teams going to the playoffs. They want this to wait until after the season.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If I were the University of Michigan I would be doing it for the same reasons. I find their lack of involvement (that we know about) in this entire situation a bit strange. 

OSUs own staff and admin offices were the ones who ratted Tressel out to the NCAA by exposing his emails, then their own blog called The Lantern posted a additional scathing article about players/benefits which then resulted in him retiring from football. So in that saga, it was OSU who did all of the leg work against their own HC to get him fired in 2011.

Im waiting to see some of the same from the University of Michigan. Are they going to get involved at any point here and dig into their own employees/staff since all of this was being orchestrated under their own roof? They have surveillance cameras on campus, they have access to their employees emails and any other device supplies/issues by the University. Where are they at in all of this? If this operation was as big as many reports claim--you better believe there are emails and/or text messages out there.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 11/1/2023 at 1:44 PM, THE DUKE said:

Not without a warrant

Due to FOIA and them being government employees, that’s not necessarily true if they ever linked their phones to the school’s WiFi, because then everything becomes public record and accessible to a surprising extent.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If he gets a smoking gun, I think you’ll see a “for now” designation as well.

Michigan would fight any interim or indefinite suspension tooth and nail. And from the sound of those calls, the B1G leadership is trying to herd cats so there isn't a call for quick action.

The way to speed this up is to see if there's one slam dunk thing they can get Michigan for and issue a final ruling on immediately. Then the NCAA/B1G can wrap the rest of the investigations up while Michigan serves the first sentence. The cheeseburger, hilariously enough, is gonna be useful here (I ******* love this scandal so much). But in all seriousness, Harbaugh got caught dead in a lie and they've already litigated it. Throw the book at him, re-write the rules so that we don't have to suspend the next coach who spends $10 to feed a recruit for a year, and make sure the investigations on the other stuff move quickly enough that he scurries up to the NFL