The Michigan/Sign Stealing & COVID Punishment Thread

BobbyPhil1781

Michigan’s sign-stealing scheme, reported first on Oct. 19 by Yahoo Sports, is believed to be an elaborate multi-year endeavor to scout and record opponents’ play-call signals. At the center of the scheme is a former low-level analyst, Connor Stalions, who failed to cooperate with NCAA investigators last week and was dismissed, according to sources. The school announced Friday that he resigned.

Stalions is believed to have used as many as 65 associates to scout games, sources tell Yahoo Sports. While sign-stealing is not against NCAA rules, scouting a future opponent’s game is, as well as using recording devices to document signals.

This much we know to be true. The ultimate conclusion is going to be a long term thing where we don’t see the full picture until the NCAA completes their investigation.

IMO Best thing Michigan can do is come down hard on themselves and not kick the can down the road. They are delaying the inevitable. I understand they are trying to win while they have a window. Its their only play. But when this all comes down, the entire program is likely to implode. Whatever happens this season is likely to be sanctioned off regardless.

You’re looking at not just head-coach failure to monitor but institutional failure to monitor or lack of control,” said one former NCAA investigator. “None of that is going to happen this football season, other than the university's calculation about what to impose.”

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

IMO Best thing Michigan can do is come down hard on themselves and not kick the can down the road. They are delaying the inevitable. I understand they are trying to win while they have a window. Its their only play. But when this all comes down, the entire program is likely to implode. Whatever happens this season is likely to be sanctioned off regardless.

Totally disagree.

Turn it into a legal battle ASAP, fight, deflect, and stall as much as possible to get it into court where people have to prove damages, which is going to be hard to do directly in this case.

While they're doing that, use the legal battle to get the boosters fundraising as much as possible. When the hammer drops, use NIL money to get through the bad years.

The time to self-report was before this broke.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.... well, everyone except one of you... that according to bylaw 11.1.1.1 it doesn't matter if Harbaugh knew or not. 

Is that not the case?

Correct. “Failure to monitor” a coach on your staff is on the HC, the direct supervisor with that control, who reports to the AD, who reports to the President.

Just like Urban was responsible for Zach Smith, so is Jim for Conor Stalions.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Totally disagree.

Turn it into a legal battle ASAP, fight, deflect, and stall as much as possible to get it into court where people have to prove damages, which is going to be hard to do directly in this case.

While they're doing that, use the legal battle to get the boosters fundraising as much as possible. When the hammer drops, use NIL money to get through the bad years.

The time to self-report was before this broke.

I see what you are saying, but ultimately, I can’t for the life of me see a situation where there isn’t a failure to monitor at the very least and steep sanctions. I know this is a new day and age, but far, far less has resulted in some serious past sanctions. I don’t think we have seen anything like this, when it comes to the integrity of the sport. An entire conference is outraged against one team. They can kick the can down the road, and sure, they can still have a successful season if everything goes their way. But at some point there will be a ruling.

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Correct. “Failure to monitor” a coach on your staff is on the HC, the direct supervisor with that control, who reports to the AD, who reports to the President.

Just like Urban was responsible for Zach Smith, so is Jim for Conor Stalions.

Exactly what I thought. As a result this whole "did Harbaugh know" is completely moot. Just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook anything bc so many people continue to make that argument

It’s not unlike most professions. In my job, if somebody under me was doing egregious things that I should probably know about, I would be in pretty serious trouble for it. Regardless, if there was proof of knowledge or not, there is a responsibility as the head man. This one isn’t too hard to figure out. The timeline is the tricky part. I think most people can tell where this is eventually heading.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Exactly what I thought. As a result this whole "did Harbaugh know" is completely moot. Just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook anything bc so many people continue to make that argument

Those people are also throwing silver dollars in the wishing well with some hopes and prayers

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

It’s not unlike most professions. In my job, if somebody under me was doing egregious things that I should probably know about, I would be in pretty serious trouble for it. Regardless, if there was proof of knowledge or not, there is a responsibility as the head man. This one isn’t too hard to figure out. The timeline is the tricky part. I think most people can tell where this is eventually heading.

Literally any job. A student lights the room on fire when I’m in the bathroom I lose my job for failure to monitor.

Not difficult to figure out. Jim Tressel got in trouble for not forwarding an email to compliance.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

It’s not moot at all and while true that rule does exist it’s quit dystopian and unlikely to be used, at least not in the full blunt force manner that you want.  Bill Self was found guilty of like 500 level 1 infractions and got 5 games and a national title.  Kirby Smarts staffer was involved in racing that resulted in a person dying. Alabama basketball.  Rule wasn’t used on any of them. CS shenanigans aren’t level 1 violations no matter how bad you rage on msg boards.  Non of this is going to end the way you all are hoping. You don’t actually care about rules that broken, competitive advantage, fair play, ethics or sportsmanship. You hate Michigan and you want blood. You fear them. Your reign is over. There’s nothing more too it.  Michigan will be just fine and possibly better than ever.  None of the death penalty crap you non sensibly want is going to happen. You’ve pissed off all the wrong people. All the people that didn’t want to go full NIL on high school recruiting , all the people that didn’t want to be the SEC or OSU. They are pissed, and they are about to fire the money cannons of the richest public university in the country.  

The drip drip is just getting started by the way.  Stay tuned. 

Edited by BigC421/

2 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

The drip drip is just getting started by the way.  Stay tuned. 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2023/11/142631/ncaa-no-connections-between-ryan-day-and-michigan-investigation

On Monday, the NCAA informed the Big Ten that there are no known connections between Day or his family and the NCAA’s investigation into Michigan, Yahoo Sports’ Ross Dellenger reported.”

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ig87ddc0sipwng3ukh6

• Like 2