The Michigan/Sign Stealing & COVID Punishment Thread

BobbyPhil1781

33 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

This just makes the Big Tens early suspension look worse. It's why they really needed NCAA to expedite this whole thing. 

Not a great look for Big Ten Commish so far so they need to get the evidence out there to support the decisions.

I fully think in the end they will get there but I don't know how the Judge doesn't lift the suspension.

Something will come later in terms of punishment for sure. They are just making this process messy 

I think the B10 was pretty much screwed regardless of how they handled it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think the B10 was pretty much screwed regardless of how they handled it.

Pretty much. It’s a slap on the wrist message and essentially nothing will happen for quite some time. The NCAA will eventually conclude their investigation and level some sort of bowl ban and vacate wins, Michigan will beat Ohio State and win the B1G.

Michigan will trumpet the “against the world” and play the victim and the fallout will happen down the road. 

• Like 1

At this point, I would be surprised if Harbaugh doesn’t at least coach next weekend against Ohio State. It really benefits nobody for him not to. He still gets to coach during the week, and him not being on the sidelines next weekend only adds ammunition. Regardless of the outcome at this point, it’s just best that the excuses are minimized. The investigation is going to bring out what it’s going to. The NCAA system in place is archaic. It would be nice if they could expedite things like any professional sports organization would with some form of swift judgment at least prior to playoff time, if that’s relevant. I don’t think it benefits anyone for a team that is going to be sanctioned eventually to take up a spot. If that’s not the case, that would be good to have out in the open also. Given past precedent though, it would be shocking if that’s not the direction this eventually heads.

The current Harbaugh “punishment” really makes no sense though. It’s some half measure attempt to make it look like they have done something. Either go all-in or keep it hands off and let the NCAA do their thing.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

At this point, I would be surprised if Harbaugh doesn’t at least coach next weekend against Ohio State. It really benefits nobody for him not to. He still gets to coach during the week, and him not being on the sidelines next weekend only adds ammunition. Regardless of the outcome at this point, it’s just best that the excuses are minimized. The investigation is going to bring out what it’s going to. The NCAA system in place is archaic. It would be nice if they could expedite things like any professional sports organization would with some form of swift judgment at least prior to playoff time, if that’s relevant. I don’t think it benefits anyone for a team that is going to be sanctioned eventually to take up a spot. If that’s not the case, that would be good to have out in the open also. Given past precedent though, it would be shocking if that’s not the direction this eventually heads.

The current Harbaugh “punishment” really makes no sense though. It’s some half measure attempt to make it look like they have done something. Either go all-in or keep it hands off and let the NCAA do their thing.

I can’t believe I’m saying this out loud:

This makes the NFL commissioner model look like the greatest system on the football planet 

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is the first thing they've done to actually conceal anything and it's still blatant.

We're like a month into the scandal.

lol

I was fully expecting to see an actual photocopy of a paper check with 5/3 bank Michigan “Go Blue” letterhead, a Jim Harbaugh black pen signature, with “In person scouting” on the memo line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Hard to believe that there isn’t a paper trail on this. If those expenses ever come to light this will turn into an IRS issue with a public funded university. Dude made $55K. Where did the money come from? Certainly not from himself.

Are there that many expenses here?

Travel, tickets to games for 1 person, maybe 1 night for a 20 something dude in a cheap hotel, and food is gonna run less than $1000/game if they do it right.

If Stallion's parents are gifting him a house via an LLC because they're that rich, they're also each giving him $16k/year in petty cash to document their maxed out non-gift tax eligible gifts. That could be enough to float most of that operation.

Is a shadow booster more likely to be paying him back somehow? Probably but we know with recruiting tracking the petty cash is damn near impossible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Are there that many expenses here?

Travel, tickets to games for 1 person, maybe 1 night for a 20 something dude in a cheap hotel, and food is gonna run less than $1000/game if they do it right.

If Stallion's parents are gifting him a house via an LLC because they're that rich, they're also each giving him $16k/year in petty cash to document their maxed out non-gift tax eligible gifts. That could be enough to float most of that operation.

Is a shadow booster more likely to be paying him back somehow? Probably but we know with recruiting tracking the petty cash is damn near impossible.

IMO the way to get him to squeal is the whole LLC felony charge thing with prison time. If he wants to go down for that then fine, but the dude is an academy guy…and we all know that the academy guys “Don’t cheat or tolerate those who do” per their honor code. (Laughs heartily)

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Hard to believe that there isn’t a paper trail on this. If those expenses ever come to light this will turn into an IRS issue with a public funded university. Dude made $55K. Where did the money come from? Certainly not from himself.

It came from other universities inserting him to take down Michigan because they saw how good they were becoming. 

Just getting a jump on the next crazy rumor.

But in all likelihood probably some Booster type group. Buddy Garrity made a few calls. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

IMO the way to get him to squeal is the whole LLC felony charge thing with prison time. If he wants to go down for that then fine, but the dude is an academy guy…and we all know that the academy guys “Don’t cheat or tolerate those who do” per their honor code. (Laughs heartily)

What felony and for what crime?

I haven't seen evidence that the LLC specifically did anything illegal.

I think it's reasonable to assume that Michigan football was aware and made sure he was back-compensated through a booster network, but that's petty cash and irrelevant to his/his parent's LLC.

If they ran revenue through the LLC he made with that other kid, that might still not be illegal as long as everything was reported correctly. It's not like the drug dealer situation because the IRS doesn't care about B1G football rules.

To be clear, I think Stallions almost certainly evaded taxes and if he and his family were audited the best case scenario would be "played by the rules to the absolute limit", but this isn't nearly as clear cut as the Cam Newton church money or something like that to me at this point. But maybe I missed something.

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

What felony and for what crime?

I haven't seen evidence that the LLC specifically did anything illegal.

Corum claims no knowledge or signature. If that’s the case, the LLC was filed in Wyoming in 2022 and with a forgery or no signature, that is a felony.

If there is a signature, goes to refute the claim that coaches and players had no knowledge.