2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

40 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I immediately thought of BMT. "Hurry the hell up and wait. He'll be here between yesterday and tomorrow, and you best not move until he is there, or was there!" lol

This is why I wouldn't take half the questions seriously. I love Rome's answer.

Agreed. I haven't looked at the combine for even a second. Granted if I was more invested I would but I'm not making a penny off of it so I can look at the numbers and see some highlights and get 95% of what I want out of the combine.

You're dead on about the attractions dying out. Last HR derby I watched was over 10 years ago, same for the Pro Bowl. I watched Lavine win back to backs and they were pretty good but the following year sucked and was the last one I watched. Last NBA all star game I watched was Shaq's last, he did the dance and then was co-MVP with Kobe when he came in and people basically just nope'd their butts out of his way. There were always blowouts, sometimes you have 40 point blowouts, but the effort was there, you just had 3-5 HOFs on fire and what the hell can you do when that happens? But you could see in the late 2000s the defense started getting easier, less competitive by half the guys it seemed. It use to be the collection of the greatest talent in the world for a single game but meh.

I loved Rome’s answer too. And I’m with you about the combine, especially as technology has evolved. Most top guys barely if at all participate, and even the 40 is just confirming what is already known from the available gps data. There are over 5,000 credentialed media at the combine this week. That’s absurd. The whole thing at this point beyond medical (which isn’t a spectator thing) is just free content for content creators, and 99% of it isn’t even good content. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I loved Rome’s answer too. And I’m with you about the combine, especially as technology has evolved. Most top guys barely if at all participate, and even the 40 is just confirming what is already known from the available gps data. There are over 5,000 credentialed media at the combine this week. That’s absurd. The whole thing at this point beyond medical (which isn’t a spectator thing) is just free content for content creators, and 99% of it isn’t even good content. 

I can't even find anything I want to watch at night really on Netflix or Prime or Apple.

Everything new sucks to me.  

I mostly watch youtube.  But even that is hard because it is all 15-30 minutes of content, only 5 of which I find interesting and 3 - 5 series of commercials I have to be ready to skip with remote as soon as I am able. 

I just like to rewatch old series on streaming if they have them.

I would say I am just old, but the kids don't like anything new either.   They watch mostly Japanese stuff and youtube.

My wife watches Korean tv.  

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Everything new sucks to me

Check out some of the adaptations they've done on Netflix and Hulu of Harlan Coben's books. We've watched quite a few of them and they're pretty well done. They're limited series, generally 8 episodes. Michael C Hall (Dexter) stars in one of the series.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Check out some of the adaptations they've done on Netflix and Hulu of Harlan Coben's books. We've watched quite a few of them and they're pretty well done. They're limited series, generally 8 episodes. Michael C Hall (Dexter) stars in one of the series.

We watched one of the other ones. Don’t remember which one, but it was pretty solid. Is the Michael C Hall one good? Looked intriguing from the preview. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

We watched one of the other ones. Don’t remember which one, but it was pretty solid. Is the Michael C Hall one good? Looked intriguing from the preview. 

The Michael C Hall one is my favorite one. I think it's called The Stranger.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigbear72 said:

Nah. That is called Safe.

Good call. The Stranger is a different one I watched not long ago, also a good one. They've all been pretty good. The only one that I had a little bit of trouble getting into was Shelter, but we still finished it.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

What is interesting is so many of these guys run like 4.2 in HS or whatever and then run 4.6 at combine 4 years later when they are much bigger, faster and stronger.

They never actually run 4.2s. Hand timed makes a big difference, as does quality of equipment. I ran a 4.69 in high school camp that used that trash SPARQ timers from Ebay magazines (just came out and looked cool as hell though, that lime green was awesome, felt like alien technology at the time) and a best of 4.57 hand timed, thought I was going to get to the 4.4s when I got through college. Go to college where they had better actual equipment and I ran in the high 4.7s for my absolute best times several years later, and averaged in the low 4.8s. That was after getting stronger, training for getting off the line (I always had decent top speed but took too long to build up, so I was better at the 400m and longer but trash at the 100 and 200), and learning better technique. I know for a fact I was faster, but the speed these guys have is just unreal.

The slow guys here still have elite genetics for the general populace, and then you see who are the freaks of the elites getting 4.40 and below. Just ridiculous.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Wow I didn't know it blew up with THAT many media guys. WTH? lol.

Honestly I like a few of the drills but too many people confuse being a great athlete with a great football player. Now I will take swings on late guys with elite athletic traits, remember OBJ's cousin who had ridiculous numbers? I think I took him in the 6th. Now with a personal session I may have been able to see this guy doesn't have the reactive ability and that he just tests well but who knows? Honestly the biggest things for me is to see a few guys I never watched show out, then I'll see if I can find something on them. The other is to (lazily) use numbers to split the difference between people I have graded out the same. And for that I can just use the numbers rather than watch the spectacle.

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You don't say. 

Sorry. I'm hearing enough bs stories from my kids' buddies. I hear one more 4.4 seconds story or "I just benched 3 plates" or "my dad deadlifted 800 pounds once" by 14 year olds I'm just going to run them over. Didn't think of who I was responding to. Lol

There are a ton of inflated (or deflated for times I guess) numbers coming out of these camps though. I think it's gross how they BS these dumb kids (myself included) about how they stack up with these ridiculous athletes. Hopefully they're getting more credible with social media backlash being a thing compared to almost 20 years ago.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Sorry. I'm hearing enough bs stories from my kids' buddies. I hear one more 4.4 seconds story or "I just benched 3 plates" or "my dad deadlifted 800 pounds once" by 14 year olds I'm just going to run them over. Didn't think of who I was responding to. Lol

There are a ton of inflated (or deflated for times I guess) numbers coming out of these camps though. I think it's gross how they BS these dumb kids (myself included) about how they stack up with these ridiculous athletes. Hopefully they're getting more credible with social media backlash being a thing compared to almost 20 years ago.

I hear kids say pics or it didn't happen.

• Like 1

This year top 3 Edge rushers: J-Verse, ChopRobinson, and D-Turner.  Verse has the best power-speed combo.  Robinson could be strong enough for the Bears defense.  Turner might lack strength.

I would go Verse at #9 if we want a DE for power or Robinson for speed.

12 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

This year top 3 Edge rushers: J-Verse, ChopRobinson, and D-Turner.  Verse has the best power-speed combo.  Robinson could be strong enough for the Bears defense.  Turner might lack strength.

I would go Verse at #9 if we want a DE for power or Robinson for speed.

Verse 31 bench reps today too. He’s the highest floor guy in the group IMO, but also has a really high ceiling. He’ll be a 3 down player too. Chop’s short arms and Turner’s sub-250 weight may have both better fits in a 3-4. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Verse 31 bench reps today too. He’s the highest floor guy in the group IMO, but also has a really high ceiling. He’ll be a 3 down player too. Chop’s short arms and Turner’s sub-250 weight may have both better fits in a 3-4. 

Specific to Robinson, his only having 15 tackles and 4 sacks in 10 games this past year despite being probably the best athlete on the field is a concern for me too. 

• Like 1