2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

I have said it before.  Best athletes in football used to be found at RB.   

It is now WR.  I think the classes will continue to be deep about every other year.    

I think RB depth will dwindle in near future as a result and put them in higher demand than they are now.  Not high because that position is still OL dependent, but higher than now which is near rock bottom in value.   

The elite will be hard to find as always, because the elite are the elite.   But it should be getting easier to find good WRs if you are taking shots in draft in first 3 rounds.  

Even for Bears.  

OL still seems to be difficult to get good players.  Something to think about in terms of draft strategies.

43 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I have said it before.  Best athletes in football used to be found at RB.   

It is now WR.  I think the classes will continue to be deep about every other year.    

I think RB depth will dwindle in near future as a result and put them in higher demand than they are now.  Not high because that position is still OL dependent, but higher than now which is near rock bottom in value.   

The elite will be hard to find as always, because the elite are the elite.   But it should be getting easier to find good WRs if you are taking shots in draft in first 3 rounds.  

Even for Bears.  

OL still seems to be difficult to get good players.  Something to think about in terms of draft strategies.

I'd argue that the best athletes now are actually edge rushers instead of WR, personally.  A lot of these guys are running faster times than the WRs, are jumping higher and longer, and weigh 20-30 lbs or more than the WRs.

10 hours ago, Epyon said:

Blake Corum: All around less athletic than expected, but probably not a complete draft stock killer.

Maybe, but I think he looked very sharp in drills, very quick feet.  I don't think his stock was hurt overall

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TankWilliams said:

I'd argue that the best athletes now are actually edge rushers instead of WR, personally.  A lot of these guys are running faster times than the WRs, are jumping higher and longer, and weigh 20-30 lbs or more than the WRs.

Those two positions are really where the guys who used to be RBs are going now, right? That’s where the money and longevity are. The lightning fast RBs are now 4.3 WRs after cutting like 10 lbs, and the power backs are bulking up to run 4.6 at 250+ lbs. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Maybe, but I think he looked very sharp in drills, very quick feet.  I don't think his stock was hurt overall

Agree with this. I never expected Corum to test as a great athlete. He's a good RB because of his feet, vision, and balance.

56 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Brian Thomas is WR4 in this class? That is wild.  

The depth of this class is great given our WR neediness. Assuming we sign some starting WR in FA the fact that we can get a starting caliber WR in R2 or even R3 really opens up the potential for us to not take one at 9, with us either taking a different position at 9 or trading down into the teens and taking Thomas/Mitchell and adding a 2. The trade down scenario specifically gives us the ability to possibly dictate that if QB4 is still there at 9 that they don’t end up in MIN too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, refundmytickets said:

Agree with this. I never expected Corum to test as a great athlete. He's a good RB because of his feet, vision, and balance.

Corum is very David Montgomery-ish to me. Not great at anything but solid at everything. 

Joe Alt coming in at 6’8 1/2” and 321lbs…personally I am not a huge fan of his but really hope a team like the Chargers or Titans are falling over themselves to take him so the WRs get pushed down the board.

42 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Joe Alt coming in at 6’8 1/2” and 321lbs…personally I am not a huge fan of his but really hope a team like the Chargers or Titans are falling over themselves to take him so the WRs get pushed down the board.

What exactly is it that you don’t like about him MM? He’s an extremely technically strong plug-and-play LT. Or is it more that you like Jones enough that you just don’t see the need?

17 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

What exactly is it that you don’t like about him MM? He’s an extremely technically strong plug-and-play LT. Or is it more that you like Jones enough that you just don’t see the need?

To me it's just that Jones is already capable at LT, but there is a major lack of talent for the Bears' WR corps aftwr Moore.

I'd be happy with Alt or Fashanu, but only if there has been some serious additions to WR in FA.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

The depth of this class is great given our WR neediness. Assuming we sign some starting WR in FA the fact that we can get a starting caliber WR in R2 or even R3 really opens up the potential for us to not take one at 9, with us either taking a different position at 9 or trading down into the teens and taking Thomas/Mitchell and adding a 2. The trade down scenario specifically gives us the ability to possibly dictate that if QB4 is still there at 9 that they don’t end up in MIN too. 

Yes.   It is exciting.  

I would be jacked to get Brian Thomas at 9 almost any draft year.  Great year to need a WR.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I am just never a fan of really tall OTs (over 6-6” as they rarely work out especially in this scheme) as I think they can be out leveraged a lot especially when it comes to pros getting into their chests…I don’t see a Jonathan Ogden type here…for me Alt’s ceiling is a slightly better Kolton Miller because as you said he plays with better technique…my big concern is he is another Mike McGlinchy