Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Seems like this cycle is nearly complete. Whats positions are left? Chargers and Commanders OC (is their DC confirmed yet)? Miami DC? I'm sure I'm missing someone.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 11:51 AM, DoleINGout said:

i would guess tanner engstrand from lions

That’s who I hope but no requested interview. Roman might be it in the end but all reliable sources have only stated that he would be on staff in some capacity. But nothing linking him directly to OC like Minter to DC. So holding out hope Roman is run game coordinator only, with Engstrand as the actual OC.

Edited by Xenos

On 2/1/2024 at 4:11 PM, INbengalfan said:

And why didn’t he convince papa to come to Cincy the past five years, four of which he’d be helping protect Burrow?

Maybe Taylor said no?

5 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Seems like this cycle is nearly complete. Whats positions are left? Chargers and Commanders OC (is their DC confirmed yet)? Miami DC? I'm sure I'm missing someone.

Minter isn’t confirmed yet to the Charges because they still need to comply with the Rooney Rule first. Not sure about OC yet. Though it could be Roman even if it’s not exactly clear yet. The parentheses seem to indicate which position they’re in.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

That’s who I hope but no requested interview. Roman might be it in the end but all reliable sources have only stated that he would be on staff in some capacity. But nothing linking him directly to OC like Minter to DC. So holding out hope Roman is run game coordinator only, with Engstrand as the actual OC.

I know the Seahawks have requested an interview for Engstrand, that would be a potentially strong pairing with MacDonald.
Engstrand as OC + Roman as run game coordinator would be really good for the Chargers. I fear for Herbert if Roman is the OC in charge of play-calling... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xenos said:

Minter isn’t confirmed yet to the Charges because they still need to comply with the Rooney Rule first. Not sure about OC yet. Though it could be Roman even if it’s not exactly clear yet. The parentheses seem to indicate which position they’re in.

I thought new HC hires didn’t have to comply with the Rooney Rule and could just build out their staff? I could be totally wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I thought new HC hires didn’t have to comply with the Rooney Rule and could just build out their staff? I could be totally wrong. 

I was thinking the same thing, I thought the Rooney rule only applied to the HC position not coordinators.

16 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I was thinking the same thing, I thought the Rooney rule only applied to the HC position not coordinators.

It does apply to coordinators now. I believe it’s been about 2 or 3 seasons. But that’s for existing HC.

For example, the Bills interviewed Sean Desai and Mike Caldwell before promoting Bobby Babich to DC. And they interview Thad Lewis before promoting Joe Brady to OC.

But when McDermott got hired in 2017 I’m almost certain his only OC interviews were Rick Dennison and Mike McCoy which was “allowed” because he was a new HC.

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

It does apply to coordinators now. I believe it’s been about 2 or 3 seasons. But that’s for existing HC.

For example, the Bills interviewed Sean Desai and Mike Caldwell before promoting Bobby Babich to DC. And they interview Thad Lewis before promoting Joe Brady to OC.

But when McDermott got hired in 2017 I’m almost certain his only OC interviews were Rick Dennison and Mike McCoy which was “allowed” because he was a new HC.

The new rule for coordinators happened in 2021. So maybe it applies to new HCs as well now?

8 hours ago, MagicMT said:

I know the Seahawks have requested an interview for Engstrand, that would be a potentially strong pairing with MacDonald.
Engstrand as OC + Roman as run game coordinator would be really good for the Chargers. I fear for Herbert if Roman is the OC in charge of play-calling... 

This is actually the only person that has been publicly requested for an interview for the Chargers OC position.

Edited by Xenos