Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

FIFY

I know it looks foreign to you, so thought I'd help with the definitions 

No, you're just a blowhard loser.

The Cardinals had 11 undrafted players and spent 5th lowest amount of money on defense and finished 6 spots lower than us in points allowed.

They have a single solitary first round pick on their team.

Their average draft position for all defensive players was 167th overall (if undrafted counts as 275th overall).

You're a blowhard loser who can see all the evidence right in front of you and still choose to believe the opposite because you can't be bothered to think anything against what the team that's had nearly 40 years of elite QB play win two rings.

Joe Barry underperformed. He has the talent for elite performance and he's delivered subpar results. If his one saving grace is slowing down a Niners team in the playoffs that still beats us, he still needs to go.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Joe Barry in 3 playoff games:

vs SF: gave up 6 pts (19 below opponent's avg)

vs DAL: gave up 16 "meaningful" pts through 3 quarters (6.5 below opponent's 3quarter avg)

vs SF: gave up 24 pts (5 pts below opponent's avg)

How sure are we that we don't want him in the playoffs going forward?

SF this year scored right on their average points per drive. We shortened the game tremendously with our long TOP eating drives, just like we did to KC. We held their offense to their average production per drive, they just had less of them.

SF in 2019 was an all-star squad vs an injured Jimmy G. Like if you have 4 top 40 pass rushers, 3 corners capable of playing at a Pro Bowl level, your ILB voted All Pro and Kenny Clark and you can't stop 75% healthy Jimmy G (benched this year for Aiden O'Connell) oof.

He stopped playoff Dak. A QB with a career 91 QBR in the playoffs and we held him to 89 QBR. 

Joe Barry has certainly been better in the playoffs than regular season, but he hasn't come close (save for the 2019 all star team) to putting up a singular performance worthy of looking past the 27th ranked defense in the regular season.

Our team ultimately played the 49ers this week instead of the Lions because Joe Barry's defense couldn't stop the Falcons or Giants from mounting a game winning drive. We were even in the playoffs because we got lucky that the Saints missed a FG, the refs didn't call DPI on Valentine vs the Chiefs, and the Panthers didn't have one more second on the clock. All times Joe Barry's defense was unclutch again but lucked out.

Regular season matters. He's not good enough. It's obviously so cut and dry and not worth defending.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

SF this year scored right on their average points per drive. We shortened the game tremendously with our long TOP eating drives, just like we did to KC. We held their offense to their average production per drive, they just had less of them.

SF in 2019 was an all-star squad vs an injured Jimmy G. Like if you have 4 top 40 pass rushers, 3 corners capable of playing at a Pro Bowl level, your ILB voted All Pro and Kenny Clark and you can't stop 75% healthy Jimmy G (benched this year for Aiden O'Connell) oof.

He stopped playoff Dak. A QB with a career 91 QBR in the playoffs and we held him to 89 QBR. 

Joe Barry has certainly been better in the playoffs than regular season, but he hasn't come close (save for the 2019 all star team) to putting up a singular performance worthy of looking past the 27th ranked defense in the regular season.

Our team ultimately played the 49ers this week instead of the Lions because Joe Barry's defense couldn't stop the Falcons or Giants from mounting a game winning drive. We were even in the playoffs because we got lucky that the Saints missed a FG, the refs didn't call DPI on Valentine vs the Chiefs, and the Panthers didn't have one more second on the clock. All times Joe Barry's defense was unclutch again but lucked out.

Regular season matters. He's not good enough. It's obviously so cut and dry and not worth defending.

I'm seeing 2.89 ppd for SF. We held them to 2.66 last night.

Yeah, if you can't give credit to Barry in that 2021 game you're being intellectually dishonest. If your defense gives up 6 points in a divisional playoff game the only thing that needs to be said is "wow, good job Joe Barry!"

It's extremely intellectually dishonest to use Dak's garbage time stats against our backups. C'mon now. Let's keep this reasonable.

The point about regular season performance is 100% legit. Don't drag down good points with the intellectually dishonest stuff before it.

Barry has been outstanding in 3 playoff games overall.

Barry has significantly underperformed in the regular season. Especially against weaker QBs.

Just now, LacyIsGood said:

Deebo also got injured on the 1st drive

Our #1 CB was hobbled and our #2 CB is playing tonight vs KC. (Wonder how much Gute regrets that trade now)

Barry was fielding a secondary much of the 2nd half of the season of:

Rookie 7th round Valentine (who looks great for a 7th round rookie. Credit to staff here).

6th round, journeyman, PS call up Corey Ballentine.

UDFA Johnathan Owens

7th round rookie Anthony Johnson Jr.

Habitually underachieving 1st round pick Darnell Savage

And either no Jaire or a hobbled Jaire

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah, if you can't give credit to Barry in that 2021 game you're being intellectually dishonest. If your defense gives up 6 points in a divisional playoff game the only thing that needs to be said is "wow, good job Joe Barry!"

It's extremely intellectually dishonest to use Dak's garbage time stats against our backups. C'mon now. Let's keep this reasonable.

The point about regular season performance is 100% legit. Don't drag down good points with the intellectually dishonest stuff before it.

Barry has significantly underperformed in the regular season. Especially against weaker QBs.

But almost so bad in the regular season that it can cost us a postseason game.

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Also, in both 49ers games we've gotten a big weather boost with the frigid cold at home and the rain/wind this year.

1 minute ago, packerstk7 said:

But almost so bad in the regular season that it can cost us a postseason game.

Yeah our defense undoubtedly was bad this regular season. 

But we need to critically examine everyone behind the DL. Our DL has the right guys to win with. I'm not convinced our ILBs played particularly well. I'm less convinced our secondary is any good at all.

29 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Lolz

Aka

You ran out of anything even resembling logical to say awhile ago already.

Some day you might have an original thought you weren’t told what to think, but that day is not today.

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's 2.70 without defensive and ST TDs 

I said in my post, 2021 playoff game is a performance good enough to keep Barry's job, he didn't have anything in the neighborhood of that last night. Let's also not ignore the magnitude of defensive talent he had.

They put the starters back in that game and Dallas marched right down the field again and scored. Let's not ignore that Joe Barry's defense with a lead in the 4th has been horrendous for 2 years.

He's been far better in the playoffs than regular season, but we have no championships in his tenure so not even to ignore downright bad regular seasons.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Some day you might have an original thought you weren’t told what to think, but that day is not today.

Strange take considering I'm the one with the original take here and you're parroting the popular opinion. Combine that with the fact I consume literally zero material outside this forum and the raw games themselves and DVOA.

Every single one of my posts are informed only by these things. 

Couldn't be further off (again)

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Strange take considering I'm the one with the original take here and you're parroting the popular opinion. Combine that with the fact I consume literally zero material outside this forum and the raw games themselves and DVOA.

Every single one of my posts are informed only by these things. 

Couldn't be further off (again)

DVOA doesn’t account for the massive difference we have invested in defense compared to other teams.

You can’t understand that because you haven’t been told to.