2023 GDT Week #9 4-3 Steelers vs. 3-4 Titans

Steeler Hitman

2023 Week #9 Who Ya Got This Week?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Steelers Offense start fast this week?

• Yes. This is finally the week the Steelers offense shows up in the first half?
    • No. They are who they are?
    • It won't matter. They will blow it late or win it late.

12 minutes ago, August4th said:

A better deep shot to Austin and Pickens getting his foot down away from scoring over 30 last night. The offense showed progress on a short week. Hopefully they build on this against GB. They better keep Jones in the lineup

I spent some time this morning with the Austin play. 

First - yes. Kenny needs to get more air under it. Maybe this a situation where healthy ribs means he can. 

But I think not enough focus is being put on CAIIs part, not in a he caused it, but more the nuances he needs to learn about the WR position. 
1- He ran in stride with the LBer. A little bit more to cross Al-Sheeir and he opens the window more for Kenny than depth. 
2- He flashes his hands early. He started putting his hands up well before the ball got there. Even though Al-Sheeir was face guarding he could see the hands go up and knew it was time to throw his hands up. Ball ended up hitting his arm and deflecting away. 
3- They talk about it all the time. Become a DB. Hunt the ball. I don’t see that in CAII. He lets the ball come to him. He was going to be body catching that ball against his chest rather than with his hands. If he was hunting the ball he ends up coming back to it some and likely pulls a DPI. 

Those are little things but make such a difference. I saw it with Pickens underthrown pass too. He didn’t come back for it and do the little things that could draw a flag. I don’t know if it’s coaching or what but our WRs are really bad at adjusting to bad passes in this way. It’s why I got frustrated at DJs first target last night. He jumped but made no effort to get his hands up. It’s like he saw the LBer coming and made a business decision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

And I feel sad that the Steelers could have had Levis had they just waited one year

1) It’s been 2 games. Sorry but that’s a tiny sample size (not saying Kenny was the right move). 
2) Who you giving up this year to have him? Jones or JPJ? I rather have those two if I’m honest. Levis is still a project. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I spent some time this morning with the Austin play. 

First - yes. Kenny needs to get more air under it. Maybe this a situation where healthy ribs means he can. 

But I think not enough focus is being put on CAIIs part, not in a he caused it, but more the nuances he needs to learn about the WR position. 
1- He ran in stride with the LBer. A little bit more to cross Al-Sheeir and he opens the window more for Kenny than depth. 
2- He flashes his hands early. He started putting his hands up well before the ball got there. Even though Al-Sheeir was face guarding he could see the hands go up and knew it was time to throw his hands up. Ball ended up hitting his arm and deflecting away. 
3- They talk about it all the time. Become a DB. Hunt the ball. I don’t see that in CAII. He lets the ball come to him. He was going to be body catching that ball against his chest rather than with his hands. If he was hunting the ball he ends up coming back to it some and likely pulls a DPI. 

Those are little things but make such a difference. I saw it with Pickens underthrown pass too. He didn’t come back for it and do the little things that could draw a flag. I don’t know if it’s coaching or what but our WRs are really bad at adjusting to bad passes in this way. It’s why I got frustrated at DJs first target last night. He jumped but made no effort to get his hands up. It’s like he saw the LBer coming and made a business decision. 

So our WRs are not good enough at catching bad passes. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

1) It’s been 2 games. Sorry but that’s a tiny sample size (not saying Kenny was the right move). 
2) Who you giving up this year to have him? Jones or JPJ? I rather have those two if I’m honest. Levis is still a project. 

Levis is also a D Bag who I would not really want to be the face of the franchise. He’s got a little too much Manziel/Baker to him for my liking. 

17 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

So our WRs are not good enough at catching bad passes. 

I think it's more effort than skill.

16 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Levis is also a D Bag who I would not really want to be the face of the franchise. He’s got a little too much Manziel/Baker to him for my liking. 

That.  And like I said in game last night, 3/4 TD passes last week were more the WR than Levis with the last one being one where as a coach you go "no no no no no yes".  Last night he was getting hit but feasting on free running WR's.  As soon as we closed down windows and the WR's weren't making plays he looked average at best.

50 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Ben was a D Bag as well and we will cheer him all the way to Canton.  Levis looked more like a NFL QB with throws and pocket presence in2 games than Pickett in 2 years.

Just now, jebrick said:

Ben was a D Bag as well and we will cheer him all the way to Canton.  Levis looked more like a NFL QB with throws and pocket presence in2 games than Pickett in 2 years.

I'd put Ben more in the POS off the field category than DBag.  What Manziel was is really different.

Also compare what Levis has done to the league as a whole rather than just Kenny.

Decided to look this up today because I was curious.  17 total accepted penalties last night and another 8 that were not along with 4 picked up flags.  That's a total of 29 times this crew thought they saw some type of infraction.  That's 6 more flags thrown than when they did the CLE/SF game that was was panned for reffing.

8 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Why do we think Levis is a Dbag? The dude is weird for sure, but I’ve only heard good marks on his leadership abilities. 

I mean, Mayo in your coffee might make you a psychopath, but I’m not sure he comes off as unlikeable. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10071240-chris-mortensen-nfl-team-called-will-levis-narcissist-for-posting-photos-of-body

https://nypost.com/2023/04/28/the-theories-behind-will-levis-painful-2023-nfl-draft-collapse/

https://247sports.com/article/kentucky-qb-will-levis-nfl-draft-slide-influenced-by-turnover-concerns-poor-interviews-report-209130511/

• Like 1