Antonio Pierce named HC

NCOUGHMAN

51 minutes ago, Dodo said:

I don't think he's "earned" the job per se, but unless Harbaugh is interested and we pass I'm for AP getting it. I wouldn't pound the table over missing Ben Johnson - maybe he'll be a great coach, maybe he'll be the next Adam Gase or Josh McDaniels. There's plenty of risk there too. 

I was frustrated as anyone last week but some games are ugly and are indicative only of that specific match-up (one where both teams were fighting for their playoff lives). How you respond to ugly games matters - they laid a generational beating 4 days later. Not saying he should get the job. But you should judge someone on what they have to work with, not what you wish they had.

AP didn't choose this roster, staff or situation. He still has the team clearly buying in. Before this game, I was most impressed with the Dolphins loss. We had no business being in that game down to the end with a 4th round rookie and defense with only one star. The team had a plan and kept fighting.

The importance of being a leader and relating to your players is also extremely underrated. Some people just have that It factor that players will go to war for. You can't equate it or explain it, but you know it when you see it -Pete Carroll, Mike Vrabel, Mike Tomlin. DeMeco Ryans is one of those guys and I wish we could've hired him last year.  Even some of the best X&O's guys don't have that. I'd rather take a chance on a young guy with those qualities and have him learn more than sliding someone in hoping he'll have that AND hoping whatever system prowess they were successful with will transfer over. 

We don't know what his vision of the team would be next year, but I doubt it's keeping everything the same. It's disingenuous to imply he wouldn't go after a QB like it isn't the most glaring hole. There's 3 more games against tough teams to get a better idea.

Quality post. Wholeheartedly agree.

8 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

This is quite the post… attacking everyone for being a prisoner of the moment, but then saying, if he can win one game he should be in consideration?

so you’ll be a prisoner of the moment if he beats KC lol 

Sort of the inverse of my point about the entire staff, though I agree with him about the prisoner of the moment aspect in a way. 

Why is one good stretch all of a sudden all it takes to buy into anyone on the staff? Is there no longer a difference between an unlikely good stretch (however long one wants to define as "stretch") and actually turning a corner? 

Rich Bisaccia, we were told, couldn't replicate what he did as interim because the schedule the next year would have been tougher and we got lucky during his tenure. What changed? Is our run on either side of the ball not as equally unlikely given the circumstances and as equally impossible to replicate? 

As far as AP goes, I remain where I've been at for a while. He's had some good that's been really good, he's had so.e bad that's been really bad. If we win out or even go 2-1, I think he should at least get an interview to lay out his long term plan- which I doubt he's been able to do yet given the situation. I'd give him some extra credit for the experience and continuity. But he's in no way my front runner. If we miss out on Harbaugh, Smith, Johnson, and maybe 1 or 2 others, let AP have at least a full year to show something. At some point, he's the best option available- just behind a handful of simply better candidates. 

Put it this way, I'd take Harbaugh, Johnson, Smith, and a couple of other guys over AP in a heartbeat. 

I'd also take AP on a trial run over some random hire like (insert random positional coach from wherever) or retread coach unless they really blew me away. 

AP is currently 4th on my list. He won't beat the 3 candidates above him, but he can definitely keep himself at 4th in line if he finishes the year out strongly. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Sort of the inverse of my point about the entire staff, though I agree with him about the prisoner of the moment aspect in a way. 

Why is one good stretch all of a sudden all it takes to buy into anyone on the staff? Is there no longer a difference between an unlikely good stretch (however long one wants to define as "stretch") and actually turning a corner? 

Rich Bisaccia, we were told, couldn't replicate what he did as interim because the schedule the next year would have been tougher and we got lucky during his tenure. What changed? Is our run on either side of the ball not as equally unlikely given the circumstances and as equally impossible to replicate? 

As far as AP goes, I remain where I've been at for a while. He's had some good that's been really good, he's had so.e bad that's been really bad. If we win out or even go 2-1, I think he should at least get an interview to lay out his long term plan- which I doubt he's been able to do yet given the situation. I'd give him some extra credit for the experience and continuity. But he's in no way my front runner. If we miss out on Harbaugh, Smith, Johnson, and maybe 1 or 2 others, let AP have at least a full year to show something. At some point, he's the best option available- just behind a handful of simply better candidates. 

Put it this way, I'd take Harbaugh, Johnson, Smith, and a couple of other guys over AP in a heartbeat. 

I'd also take AP on a trial run over some random hire like (insert random positional coach from wherever) or retread coach unless they really blew me away. 

AP is currently 4th on my list. He won't beat the 3 candidates above him, but he can definitely keep himself at 4th in line if he finishes the year out strongly. 

I think Rich should of been given the job. winning 4 in a row, to make playoffs, and battling Cinci to the last play who then went to SB.. after all the crap that went on that year. 
he shouldve been given 1 more year to prove it. He earned that right IMO. 
Interim head coach, everything stacked against you, you get to playoffs, IMO youve earned 1 more year. 

im not saying he guaranted gets us back either, it couldve easily been a disaster, but he earned that right, and its what the TEAM wanted. 
you not what also wasnt guaranteed to work, JMD or any other coach. and at least with Rich it wouldve been 1 year prove it deal. 

I also think we were quick to pull the plug on Del Rio, when he got us to the playoffs in 2016 for the first time in ages. Yes 2017 something happened. But it was to quick to can him IMO. 

Mark keeps chasing something bigger, and its not working. 

AP def deserves to be considered, whats his plan for OC... whats his excuse / thought process on being shut out the week after a bye, what does he think his weaknesses are and how can he address them, etc etc. 

He has the team playing hard, which is the #1 most important thing in the NFL. 

Couldnt agree with the bold more. Giving him 1 year, is way better than locking in some rando to 4 years

• Like 4

13 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I wanna see how the year plays out but you gotta be a special kinda person if putting up 60 on a rival does nothing for you. Your agenda is heavy bruh

13 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Wow what a true raider you are lol I love it tho y’all exposing your true colors on this historic win

i didn’t know Easton played on the defense our 3rd string qb put up 4tds by halftime on.

You just salty that it wasn’t your boy Jimmy putting up those #’s. If it’s any consolation aoc credited jimmy for some vet talks about qb nfl life after the minn game. 

like pierce said “no apologies” playa lol

10 hours ago, Justwinning said:

Even Rich got an interview. AP will get some if he finishes strong.

AP is 1-3 over the last month, crown him!

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

AP is 1-3 over the last month, crown him!

3-3 since taking over homie and only 1 loss was a blowout and it was vs the champs.

Keep it 💯 tho if jimmy put up the #’s aoc did vs chargers You would’ve spammed the whole web site with jimmy the goat pics?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

3-3 since taking over homie and only 1 loss was a blowout and it was vs the champs.

Keep it 💯 tho if jimmy put up the #’s aoc did vs chargers You would’ve spammed the whole web site with jimmy the goat pics?

And they’re fading as the season goes on, when we lose the next 3 he’ll be 1-6 over the last 2 months of the season. 

he drives an impala though #crownhim 🤴 

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

100% agreed. AP has proven to at least get a full offseason to build his program

What has he proven? He beat 2 miserable teams and one team who gave up before the game started. 

If they get blown out by KC again on Xmas, does that change what he's proven?

• Like 3

For the old school Raider fans here, remember Joe Bugle? Al Davis hired him after firing Mike White because "the players liked him". He went 4-12 and was fired after one season. 

Remember Jim Tomsula, Harbaugh's Oline coach the team loved so they hired him. Remember Freddy Kitchens who the team and QB loved in Cleveland, so they hired him?

Hire the right man for the job. Not the most popular. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And they’re fading as the season goes on, when we lose the next 3 he’ll be 1-6 over the last 2 months of the season. 

he drives an impala though #crownhim 🤴 

Praying on our downfall now lol

Yea keep cooking chef you doing great

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

What has he proven? He beat 2 miserable teams and one team who gave up before the game started. 

Keep it 💯 if jmd coached on Thursday you be saying see I told y’all give him some time etc etc 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I think he has a chance if he has the team competitive vs KC and wins out against Indy and Denver

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I think the Chiefs game will say a lot about this team. If AP has the team balling, you can make a case that with a better offensive staff and new QB we can get it done.

However, if they get blown out again, we know it's time for a superior coaching staff.

• Like 1