Antonio Pierce named HC

NCOUGHMAN

14 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

The trouble I feel was he was a good coach but his player acquisition was so poor that even with an identity, good scheme and good coaching we’d have ultimately struggled as he was picking kids like Arnette, Bowden, Leatherwood and Abram. You might catch lightning in a bottle one year maybe but you’re doomed to fail if you draft like that and add free agents like Cory Littleton, Maliek Collins, Jason Witten 😂, Tahir Whitehead, Trent Brown and the safety who played nickel for us (forgot his name) all the while making trades like Antonio Brown and The White Tiger. That is always going to be a ball and chain around your ankle.

I forgot about the trades for Martvis Bryant and Antonio Brown. The bad drafts overshadowed the bad FA pick ups

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Probably not. He can likely remove him from playcalling duties though, in the unlikely event Telesco balked at a request to relieve him of employment though. 

Neither Telesco nor AP should be comfortable enough to get into any sort of power struggle out in the open like that though. My guess is if AP told Telesco that Getsy needed to go, Telesco would let him go. 

I don't think Telesco would fire someone against APs wishes, I don't think he would keep someone either. 

I really wonder what the power dynamics really are in the building. I’m pretty sure AP has final day on who starts. But beyond that idk. Guess we’ll find out 2yrs from now when the “tell all interviews” get revealed.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I really wonder what the power dynamics really are in the building. I’m pretty sure AP has final day on who starts. But beyond that idk. Guess we’ll find out 2yrs from now when the “tell all interviews” get revealed.

I’m sure the 25 million contract Gard was paid factored into the decision to start him. I don’t think any QB in the NFL is being paid like that as a backup to start the season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Does AP even have the power to fire a coach? 

If he doesn't then he 's in trouble. If not fire then give more responsibilities to the other guys. That might take more money but the only way I could see a HC not being able to fire a guy is if the owner wants to replace him with that guy (Marvin Lewis) but Offense is the issue so if he can't fire anybody then take over and tell everyone your getting hands on and going more power schemes plays. Miller and James have looked awful this season. Parham can play well in either and the rookies are good enough to try the switch. Yes the HC should just be delegating and keeping a well oiled machine, but we're running a V8 on 4 cylinders so changing QB's is one thing and maybe it works but if I'm AP, I'm fighting for as much as I can so I get another season as a HC. Especially with all this Gruden talk and knowing Mark Davis loves the guy. It all just looks like a slow moving train wreck we can't avoid. ARGHHHH....

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Also is Telesco really wanting success this season, or hoping for a big flop so he can go after one of the coaches that didn't get a job last season. I figured Mark told him he'll get to pick one of his own if AP doesn't work out but with so many vet coaches out there and a couple OC's looking good he might be hoping for it to flop big enough to have his choice and then go all in on a QB this next season...

48 minutes ago, G said:

Also is Telesco really wanting success this season, or hoping for a big flop so he can go after one of the coaches that didn't get a job last season. I figured Mark told him he'll get to pick one of his own if AP doesn't work out but with so many vet coaches out there and a couple OC's looking good he might be hoping for it to flop big enough to have his choice and then go all in on a QB this next season...

That’s an interesting theory, actually.

Telesco doesn’t exactly have a great track record of hiring Head Coaches with the Chargers either, which is kind of worrying, but I’d probably trust him to pick the next one more than I would Mark Davis.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If not, he shouldn't have been hired to begin with.

True story. It's also things like this that never gets any consideration. If he has no power to fire coaches, did he hire them or was he just apart of the conversation? If he can't control his staff how much is the offensive incompetence his to bear?  

If he isn't in charge, it changes everything and this whole thing is on Telesco. AP is just the fall man. And justly so. If, if, that's the case he should have never taken the job. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

What if they didn’t absolutely botch the Mack haul with the worst draft of all time. Lamb instead of Ruggs alone and who knows.

Yeah, that’s the other part of it.  Was just replying to the posted stats. I really hate when 2018 is included in anyone’s argument about anything. It was a clear tear down and throw away season. 

8 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

How much power did you expect a first year HC with zero coordinator experience to have? Mark hired a veteran GM because he knew AP needed the help.

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

True story. It's also things like this that never gets any consideration. If he has no power to fire coaches, did he hire them or was he just apart of the conversation? If he can't control his staff how much is the offensive incompetence his to bear?  

If he isn't in charge, it changes everything and this whole thing is on Telesco. AP is just the fall man. And justly so. If, if, that's the case he should have never taken the job. 

Based on the fact we have the biggest staff in the league (IIRC) that includes Marvin Lewis and AP's son, I think he has had a lot of input into who we have hired. 

The biggest concern I have with bringing AP back is that even if we fire Getsy, how many top flight OC's are going to want to come here if he's on the hot seat?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nightmare said:

That’s an interesting theory, actually.

Telesco doesn’t exactly have a great track record of hiring Head Coaches with the Chargers either, which is kind of worrying, but I’d probably trust him to pick the next one more than I would Mark Davis.

Gotta remember up until Harbaugh, Dean Spanos was the cheapest owner in sports. Telesco wasn't allowed to hire a big name coach. Spanos family loved paying their head coaches cheapest salary possible. Mike McCoy, Anthony Lynn, Stayley.

He was hand cuffed.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NickButera said:

My opinion is he has control and takes advice from his circle, guys like Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NickButera said:

If AP is just gonna be the fall guy with no power and he’s ok with that. He’s not the dude I thought he was. I remember mark gushing over telesco’s experience like AP and champ needed a babysitter. I think champ manned the ship ok after jmdz got the boot.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Based on the fact we have the biggest staff in the league (IIRC) that includes Marvin Lewis and AP's son, I think he has had a lot of input into who we have hired. 

The biggest concern I have with bringing AP back is that even if we fire Getsy, how many top flight OC's are going to want to come here if he's on the hot seat?

Those assistants have no say really in game planning they imo basically help him on day to day hc duties. Hc is a totally different job from dc and oc. Graham was already here so we know AP didn’t hire him.

bigger question is how many oc’s wanna coach this offense. You see once it was obvious we weren’t serious about the qb position kliff bounced.

• Like 1