Draft Thread (Giants have picks #6,47,70)

Acgott

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

I don’t have a problem with no OL. We signed 1000 in FA. DL was strange, but without trading down we didn’t have a lot of picks. I’m fine with needs, as long as we aren’t reaching for players which appears we didn’t. We need a lot of help everywhere.

I specifically have a problem with passing on Christian Mahogany in the 6th, because I think he's got starting G potential. Overall though, I agree and I think this offseason represented a philosophical shift in how Joe Schoen specifically is attacking the OL. Either that, or it just represents attacking it from a different angle for now.

Schoen drafted a lot of OL in his first 2 drafts. We used the following overall picks on OL over the last 2 drafts: 7, 67, 173, and 57. Plug those into the Rich Hill draft trade chart and that is 606 points of value, or somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd overall picks. It's a lot of capital. Those guys need to be developed; we have enough young talent. Schoen shifted away from acquiring young talent to develop and spent a lot in FA on OL that need more refinement, if anything, than development. We all were saying variations of this before the draft, but the chickens need to come home to roost. We've used a ton of draft capital on OL, it is time for those guys to pan out or get out. And I think that is the right approach.

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I really like the Johnson and Tracy picks. I think they will both be impactful offensive players right away. Johnson should be an every down TE and I see Tracy in that scat back 3rd down Jerrick Mckinnon kind of role. Nubin will start out of the gate and I have high hopes for him. Not sold on Phillips but seems like a good value for where they got him. Odd having a Giants draft with no O or D lineman. 

Does seem like Schoen was drafting for need more so then BPA. But will all the gaps on this team I guess everything is a need. 

I really like the Johnson and Tracy picks as well. I've got really high hopes for Johnson. He moves so well for how large he is. He can actually run routes and release both inline and from split out wide, and he is more than just a "willing" blocked (which I think is the worth draft-related term of all time and I hope it dies off). The kid actually mixes it up and does block.

Tracy fell because he is older and only has 1 year as a RB, but that 1 year was insanely productive from an advanced metrics perspective. He forced more missed tackles last year than any RB in the draft. I think he deserves some rotational snaps right away, but he should immediately be a great ST contributor and our kickoff return guy. These new kickoff rules specifically benefitted a few prospects, and he is one of them. Brett Kollman even compared him to Cordarelle Patterson. Elusive, powerful runner that started as a WR but transitioned to a RB.

I'm nervous about Nubin's lack of athleticism. I understand instincts matter more for a deep safety, but it still concerns me. With a top-50 pick, I like taking shots at athletic, high-upside players at important positions and while Nubin may have a high upside, he plays the least important position in football and he tested poorly athletically. I hope I'm wrong and he's the first 2nd round S we take to get a 2nd contract! I do like how he seems to study and approach the game and learned a lot from Antoine Winfield (he's even wearing 31, just like Winfield).

Andru Phillips is a good CB. He's in the mold of Wan'Dale Robinson, where a decent number of scouts had him as one of their favorite players in the draft that wasn't going to necessarily go very high. He is so feisty and sticky in coverage. His ball skills absolutely suck, but you've got to love how locked in he plays and how he stays in phase constantly. It reflects well on his future in the NFL, especially since he's going to be coached by Jerome Henderson. I liked him a lot as a prospect and he was the guy I wanted after I saw Max Melton go right before us in the 2nd.

We all know Malik Nabers is going to be a stud. I think the only question is how good he is going to be given the QB situation. He is relatively QB proof and should at least put up similar numbers to what Garrett Wilson has done the past 2 years with garbage at QB. If he gets better QB play than that, he'll produce even more. After that, if we came away from this draft with a starting S, a starting slot CB, and rotational TE/RB that take some starting snaps, this was a solid draft. Unfortunately, the Giants need more than just solid drafts to improve quickly. Luckily, our original 2nd round pick was used to acquire Brian Burns, who I seem to be higher on than most. He's a stud pass rusher that is in that tier right below guys like Myles Garrett and TJ Watt. He and Thibs are going to show out this year as a duo, and you hope the pass rush is the strength and identity of this team for this year and going forward. You can build around that.

• Like 2

@minutemancl I’m not going to pretend I know anything about the prospects or our new OL schemes, but Mahogany went in the 6th round comp picks, it’s a dart throw at that point. I do wish we made moves for more darts, my biggest problem with the draft.

Nubin had a torn meniscus last year. He wasn’t fully healthy last season or the combine. Hopefully he does better when healthy.

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

@minutemancl I’m not going to pretend I know anything about the prospects or our new OL schemes, but Mahogany went in the 6th round comp picks, it’s a dart throw at that point. I do wish we made moves for more darts, my biggest problem with the draft.

Nubin had a torn meniscus last year. He wasn’t fully healthy last season or the combine. Hopefully he does better when healthy.

Last time I felt like this, in a very similar spot, it was Trey Smith, who is now a great G for the Chiefs. It would really suck if that same situation happens again.

And yeah, I read that about him. Made me feel a decent bit better about his athletic testing. I will say that he plays fast and agile on tape, so it bodes well. He's obviously a super smart guy on the field.

10 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Getting Nabers to pair with Hyatt is so sick for you guys. That duo is going to have safeties giving a 50 yard cushion 😅.

Nabers also has elite stop-start ability that gives himself his own cushion. The way he gets open on curl routes against man consistently by taking off then stopping on a dime is stupid. It's like Mariano Rivera's cutter. You know it is coming, but you can't do anything to stop it.

If teams start playing off and lighten the box, you can expect Dabs to run it early and often. Maybe an improved receiver corps results in a better running game? And a better underneath game (where Wan'Dale can feast)? I hope so!