Draft Thread (Giants have picks #6,47,70)

Acgott

Biggest threats for the #1 pick outside of us are the Bears and Cardinals, who both also need QBs. The Bears have 2 shots at it, as the Panthers are very bad as well. 

Remaining schedules:

Bears- Panthers, Lions x2, Vikings, Browns, Cardinals, Falcons, Packers

Panthers- Bears, Cowboys, Titans, Bucs x2, Saints, Falcons, Packers, Jaguars

Cardinals- Falcons, Texans, Rams, Steelers, 49ers, Bears, Eagles, Seahawks

Giants- Cowboys, Commanders, Patriots, Packers, Saints, Eagles x2, Rams

I bolded potential wins for each team. 

The big advantage we have is that the Bears play both the Panthers and Cardinals, which will hurt someone's draft position. I honestly think, with Devito at the helm for Cowboys and Commanders at least, there's a decent chance we don't win another game this season. I think 2-15 is enough for 1st overall, but it never works out the way you hope like that. We'll probably steal 1 game at some point this season, but I seriously doubt we finish better than 3 wins.

Currently we have the 4th overall pick, behind the Cardinals, Bears (Panthers), and Bears. We really need to get at worst the 2nd overall pick to get one of Caleb Williams or Drake Maye. The 3rd could work if we are behind 2 Bears selections, as we could trade up to 2 with the Bears to take whichever QB they don't (which we would need to do in that situation). They could still take Marvin Harrison at 3 in that situation and pick up extra picks. If we are at 3 behind the Cardinals and Bears, we are SOL at getting one of the top 2 QBs. 

While we are in a good situation to barely win any more games, we are in bad shape for tiebreakers. The first is SOS, which we'd almost certainly lose on as our schedule is very difficult this year. We'd also lose head to head tiebreaker against the Cardinals, and with a win over the Commanders, we have 1 division win which the Cardinals, Bears, and Panthers may not reach. 

Bottom line though, this selection will be a QB almost certainly. With the lack of consensus at QB3, we want to hope we can get one of the top 2. Ideally, we get the first pick (which this franchise has never held by virtue of having the worst record in the super bowl era) and take Caleb Williams, who is truly the most Patrich Mahomes like prospect we've ever seen. 

• Like 3

Cant really argue with anything u said. We need either Williams or Maye. We need some sort of hope at all. If we lose out on both, i would not put it past Schoen to take Penix with either the 3rd or 4th pick because that kid wont make it to the 2nd rd. If he doesn't, I would be all for taking either Harrison or Fashanu if we lose out on the top 2 but thats being optimistic we have an ability to trade back into the 1st rd if we took one of those 2 prospects over a QB. 

I don’t think Penix is a real possibility, even with how good he has been this year. If you think DJ is injury prone, Penix is IR personified. You can't take him after what has happened with DJ.

If we lose out on both, I'm personally looking at JJ McCarthy and Shedeur Sanders. McCarthy is kind of living a charmed life up in Michigan thanks to having a great team around him and a great, experienced OL, but he's got a lot of the tools you look for. Sanders has some question marks, but I love the way he is able to work under pressure. Kind of like when DJ was coming out, you like that he is able to do so much with less than ideal circumstances. 

The most interesting possibility is the one you touched on where we take Marvin Harrison with our 1st. With the extra 2nd we got in the Leo trade, I think that is a serious possibility if both Williams and Maye are gone. Take the best WR prospect we've seen in years, then trade back into the back of the 1st to take whichever one of Penix/Nix/Sanders/McCarthy/whoever you like. Right now, consensus mocks have Williams and Maye at 1 and 2 overall, but the rankings on the rest are all over the place. It would be a very savvy move to trade back into the 1st to grab whichever grab bag QB you like in this draft. That said, that is very much the less than ideal situation. You don't mess around at QB; your first move has to be identifying your guy then trying to do whatever you can to secure him. 

Schoen has overall done a good job building this roster. Funnily enough, his best moves were easy calls of just locking up great players we already had, but nonetheless, the franchise pieces are there. He's got to get himself a QB and fill in the gaps at both G spots, EDGE 2, CB (1 or 2, depending on how Banks finishes the season), and he needs to find a good RT. With our cap space, expected draft position, and assets, that is possible to do in 1 offseason. Very difficult, but possible. It's important to remember this is still year 2 of the rebuild. 

40 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I hope yall lose out and get Caleb

I think him and Jalin Hyatt could be lethal. 

Hyatt hasn't done much for yall this season, but idk man I think theres a unique talent there just in need of someone who can actually throw him the ball farther than 25 yards.

It’s a shame, he’s just always open. Even his out of bounds catch was great,p

• Like 2

18 hours ago, brownie man said:

Hyatt hasn't done much for yall this season, but idk man I think theres a unique talent there just in need of someone who can actually throw him the ball farther than 25 yards.

There is a unique talent there, we can't get Hyatt the ball. In the Raiders game alone he should have at least over 140 yards and 2 touchdowns. With a good QB I believe he could be his own version of Tyreek Hill.

19 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Kyler Murry is supposed to be starting against the Falcons, with him as their QB they should be able to win at least a couple of games.

Definitely. Kyler Murray coming back is a huge boon for us. Gannon has the Cards playing hard. They should be able to pull out 1 or 2 wins with Kyler. 

Between the Bears and the Cardinals though, the Cardinals are definitely the lesser threat to take a QB. There are rumors they may try to build around Kyler (which makes more sense if you look at his contract; he's not easy to get rid of until a few years from now). If the Cards finish with the 1st overall pick and we finish with the 2nd, we should trade up with them. Otherwise, someone else will. 

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

If the Cards finish with the 1st overall pick and we finish with the 2nd, we should trade up with them

No, trades have never worked out in the past 10 years. If we don’t want QB #2, either draft Harrison or trade down.

18 hours ago, Acgott said:

No, trades have never worked out in the past 10 years. If we don’t want QB #2, either draft Harrison or trade down.

Interesting take. What if we finish with the 3rd pick, behind the Cardinals and Bears? Or 2 Bears selections? Do you still think we shouldn't trade up then, if getting up 1 spot secures us one of the top 2 QBs?

Best-> Worst case draft scenarios for us right now:

Giants 1st

Cardinals 1st, Giants 2nd

Bears 1st, Giants 2nd

Bears 1st, Bears 2nd, Giants 3rd

Bears 1st, Cardinals 2nd, Giants 3rd

Cardinals 1st, Bears 2nd, Bears 3rd, Giants 4th

The first case gives us our choice of QB, next 2 give us one of the top 2 guys, the next gives us a likely shot at QB2 at pick 3, and the next gives us a chance at QB2 at 3 if the Cards don't go QB. I really don't see the Patriots finishing worse than any 4 of Bears, Panthers, Giants, Cardinals, so I think the absolute worst pick the Giants get is 4th. 

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Interesting take. What if we finish with the 3rd pick, behind the Cardinals and Bears? Or 2 Bears selections? Do you still think we shouldn't trade up then, if getting up 1 spot secures us one of the top 2 QBs?

Best-> Worst case draft scenarios for us right now:

Giants 1st

Cardinals 1st, Giants 2nd

Bears 1st, Giants 2nd

Bears 1st, Bears 2nd, Giants 3rd

Bears 1st, Cardinals 2nd, Giants 3rd

Cardinals 1st, Bears 2nd, Bears 3rd, Giants 4th

The first case gives us our choice of QB, next 2 give us one of the top 2 guys, the next gives us a likely shot at QB2 at pick 3, and the next gives us a chance at QB2 at 3 if the Cards don't go QB. I really don't see the Patriots finishing worse than any 4 of Bears, Panthers, Giants, Cardinals, so I think the absolute worst pick the Giants get is 4th. 

I think the cost is going to be too much to trade up, I need to double check this, but I think the rankings for this years top 2 QBs is way higher than last years. If we can do it without giving up a future first, I’ll be ok with that, but I think it’s going to be a bidding war. Something that the winner never wins.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-draft-what-the-past-decade-says-about-moving-up-for-a-quarterback-plus-some-trade-hypotheticals/

8 hours ago, Acgott said:

I think the cost is going to be too much to trade up, I need to double check this, but I think the rankings for this years top 2 QBs is way higher than last years. If we can do it without giving up a future first, I’ll be ok with that, but I think it’s going to be a bidding war. Something that the winner never wins.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-draft-what-the-past-decade-says-about-moving-up-for-a-quarterback-plus-some-trade-hypotheticals/

We won the bidding war for Eli Manning and turned winners for it. If the QB has all the tools, I have no problems giving up two first-round picks and more to move it. We gave up more than two first-round picks to get Eli. 

51 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

We won the bidding war for Eli Manning and turned winners for it. If the QB has all the tools, I have no problems giving up two first-round picks and more to move it. We gave up more than two first-round picks to get Eli. 

The percentage of success has been extremely small. No top 5 QB trade has worked out since 2004. Not one. It’s not worth the assets. We need them to surround our QB for success.