Draft Thread (Giants have picks #6,47,70)

Acgott

On 12/20/2023 at 2:18 PM, Acgott said:

We need a new OL coach before we should draft any more. We wasted enough resources there with no return. WR/QB should be our first two picks in any order.

The Oline has been a perplexing problem for a decade across multiple GM's, HC's, OC's, QB's and Oline coaches. I believe I saw a comparison chart that the Giants have invested more high equity on Oline then anyone else in that time. They simply cannot develop these guys outside of Thomas. Yet...it's telling to me that guys like Zeitler come here and suck then go off to other teams and play all pro level again. Feliciano sucked here he's now an anchor over in SF. I don't know what the answer is but Bobby Johnson did an amazing job with Buffalo's line. Hit the reset button again and again I guess until you finally find the right fit but wouldn't surprise me if Johnson goes off to another team and excels.

54 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

but Bobby Johnson did an amazing job with Buffalo's line. Hit the reset button again and again I guess until you finally find the right fit but wouldn't surprise me if Johnson goes off to another team and excels.

Bills fans hated Johnson?

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Bills fans hated Johnson?

Maybe? They won 34 games in three seasons with him. Since Pat Flaherty left we've had Mike Solari, Hal Hunter, Marc Columbo, Rob Sale, and now Bobby Johnson and the line has been putrid with all 5 of them... 

Edited by Shockwave

17 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Maybe? They won 34 games in three seasons with him. Since Pat Flaherty left we've had Mike Solari, Hal Hunter, Marc Columbo, Rob Sale, and now Bobby Johnson and the line has been putrid with all 5 of them... 

Hunter, Columbo, and Sale are all out of the league.. Solari was out of the league last year. OL play is a league wide problem. You need to spurge on acquiring the best coaches out there. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 10:12 AM, Acgott said:

Hunter, Columbo, and Sale are all out of the league.. Solari was out of the league last year. OL play is a league wide problem. You need to spurge on acquiring the best coaches out there. 

Mike Munchak will be offered a blank check by some team this offseason. I really hope it is the Giants. Or hell, poach the assistant OL coach in Philly.

7 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

I dunno, im still on the fence to use the 5 slot for a WR. As much as guys like Nabers and Odunze would help, i think the bigger priority has to be QB or olineman

If a QB is there, we take him. We have used so many draft resources on OL, they all have failed. We need to go the veteran route. We can’t spend more time developing a RT. You don’t need two all pro tackles to win, they just need to be not horrible. You do need a top receiver,

3 hours ago, Acgott said:

A wide receiver!!!

IMO a stud WR doesn't move the needle as much as a stud o-lineman, pass-rusher or of course stud QB. We all know it's a gamble regardless of position. But I truly believe this team already has capable weapons on the outside with Robinson, Hyatt and Waller. This team just needs a capable QB with protection to get them the ball.

3 hours ago, Acgott said:

If a QB is there, we take him. We have used so many draft resources on OL, they all have failed. We need to go the veteran route. We can’t spend more time developing a RT. You don’t need two all pro tackles to win, they just need to be not horrible. You do need a top receiver,

I agree with the first part of your statement about o-lineman. However, we've seen tons of teams win Championships without an "alpha" WR. You need a balanced offense with reliable targets. I feel this offense has capable weapons with Robinson, Hyatt, Waller and even Barkley. They need protection and a good QB.

4 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

IMO a stud WR doesn't move the needle as much as a stud o-lineman, pass-rusher or of course stud QB. We all know it's a gamble regardless of position. But I truly believe this team already has capable weapons on the outside with Robinson, Hyatt and Waller. This team just needs a capable QB with protection to get them the ball.

How many teams have spent top draft picks on two OT? Most teams are lucky to have one. Whoever we draft, needs to learn a new position. It’s not a simple switch from to LT to RT. We have already used a ton of resources there to wasted effect, as shown above.

If Wink is our DC next year, pass rushers do not get a lot of sacks in his scheme. Kayvon is the first one with more than 10 in a season. He brings pressure from other locations. 

We can’t rely on Robinson, Hyatt, and Waller, we need another threat badly. 

I'm also in the Olineman doesn't move the needle for me camp. We've poured so much equity into the line and it's still awful. Time to try something new. Hit the reset button again on the Oline coach and see if someone else can salvage Neal.

Need a playmaker who isn't a RB to build around. Whether that is a QB like Daniels, draft a WR like Nabers, or sign a guy like Tee Higgins. This offense needs a focal point and Barkley just isn't it. I look at how much of a huge difference the addition of AJ Brown and Smith made in Philly. We could have something similiar with Higgins, Hyatt, Robinson. 

For me:

Daniels
Higgins or Pittman
Robinson
Hyatt
Waller
FA RB: Swift/Harris/Dobbins etc..Gray

Now we have something cooking on offense