Draft Thread (Giants have picks #6,47,70)

Acgott

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

none of us know how this draft is going to shake out, but one thing we do know is that the Vikings will be aggressive players in it. they are very motivated to "get their guy" this year.

Giants would have to be not interested in the QB or it be a huge payment for the Vikings. Giants have higher picks and more of them. 4 top 100 picks compares to 2 for the Vikings.

• Like 2

yeah, the Vikings are low on trade capital. but we are a bit better than the QB hungry teams coming after us, and because of their later draft positions they'll have to pay even more than us.

we'll see what the Vikings are actually able to do, my point is that they will be active players and attempt to.

On 3/1/2024 at 10:17 PM, Cuziam71 said:

Fun thing is that all these experts say it's a weak class but next year hasn't even started.  If Tommy Divito was able to win games with this team this past year, I'm sure we will find a qb in this draft or the next.  Doesn't have to be a 1sr 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Milton from Tennessee doesn't look like a bad prospect. A year behind Jones might do wonders.  Coaches have to actually coach.  

What happens if we trade up for a qb and give up the farm and we finish 3-14 4-13?  What happens to the HC?  They fire him and the GM and we are back to square 1.  This is the 3rd year of a rebuild. There can't be any more mistakes.

2/3 of those wins came against teams that were obviously tanking. So because Divito was able to beat two of the worst teams in the league, that means you shouldn't look to acquire a potential franchise QB?

The same thing that will happen if you keep Daniel Jones and suck again next year. Unfortunately you already made a crucial mistake with the commitment to DJ. If a young QB shows potential, it will likely buy Daboll time.

First thing is winning any game with a undrafted free agent rookie qb in the NFL is amazing.  It's kinda crazy to make a comment to say winning against any NFL team is easy especially with this team.  YOU CANT THROW A TON OF HIGH END DRAFT PICKS FOR "POTENTIAL".

New york giants have way too many holes to fill and can't waste any more draft picks on any qb in this draft unless they get him at #6.  Then they can use one of the 2nds on a wr.  Or better yet get a wr at 6.  All the qbs in this draft have issues.  Williams will be a headache, Maye and McCarthy are almost like Daniel Jones and Daniel's is way to thin to take hits from the defenses in the NFL.     Soooooo, who would you Mortgage the future on because after this year and no improvement from the entire team, this team will be torn apart again

4 hours ago, Cuziam71 said:

First thing is winning any game with a undrafted free agent rookie qb in the NFL is amazing.  It's kinda crazy to make a comment to say winning against any NFL team is easy especially with this team.  YOU CANT THROW A TON OF HIGH END DRAFT PICKS FOR "POTENTIAL".

New york giants have way too many holes to fill and can't waste any more draft picks on any qb in this draft unless they get him at #6.  Then they can use one of the 2nds on a wr.  Or better yet get a wr at 6.  All the qbs in this draft have issues.  Williams will be a headache, Maye and McCarthy are almost like Daniel Jones and Daniel's is way to thin to take hits from the defenses in the NFL.     Soooooo, who would you Mortgage the future on because after this year and no improvement from the entire team, this team will be torn apart again

I mean if you guys lose Barkley and roll with Daniel Jones as your starter there's a good chance you hit the reset button next off-season.

Oh, how so much changed in one week. The Giants traded one of their 2nds, while the Vikings have acquired the #23 pick from the Texans and are likely planning to trade up into the top 5. Patriots or Chargers moving on out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

Oh, how so much changed in one week. The Giants traded one of their 2nds, while the Vikings have acquired the #23 pick from the Texans and are likely planning to trade up into the top 5. Patriots or Chargers moving on out.

Is there any chance it is us that trades out? Hear me out.

The Patriots are obviously very much in the QB market and could very well like the 3rd guy available. The Cardinals meanwhile are not in the QB market at all and have a desperate need at WR; a need in which I imagine they'd be overjoyed to fill with someone that is the caliber of Marvin Harrison Jr. They also already have another pick in the first round. The Chargers just traded away Keenan Allen and cut Mike Williams. They are in desperate need for a receiver as well. What if the Pats, Cardinals, and Chargers stay at their spots? Could we be the ones moving back to 11 and 23?

If Williams, Maye, Daniels, MHJr, and Nabers are gone, I wouldn't be opposed to it. That'd be a ton of value to pick up for JJ McCarthy. Odunze wouldn't make it to 11, but Brian Thomas Jr likely would. He's absolutely a #1 receiver in the league. Then we could go in any number of directions at pick 23- Michael Penix could be available, or we could with one of the many talented tackles like Adarius Mims, Tyler Guyton, or JC Latham who are likely to be there, or we could even go corner with someone like Cooper Dejean or Nate Wiggins.

I do think the Vikings are targeting 4 or 5, and I think the Giants are still much more likely to trade up than down, but it is a possibility. If Maye goes at pick 2 (like he should and I still think has a strong chance of happening), I'm not sure we like another QB that much in this draft.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Is there any chance it is us that trades out? Hear me out.

I don’t see us being the ones to trade with the Vikings. I can see it with a different team, but Vikings are going to do their next trade before the draft. They are not waiting for another team that can jump them.

This is similar to 2021 when we traded out of the #4 QB spot with the Bears. We lost out on better prospects. Nabers and Rome are the consensus top 6 players. We need top end talent. Either go get the QB or get the best receiver. We cannot miss again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I don’t see us being the ones to trade with the Vikings. I can see it with a different team, but Vikings are going to do their next trade before the draft. They are not waiting for another team that can jump them.

This is similar to 2021 when we traded out of the #4 QB spot with the Bears. We lost out on better prospects. Nabers and Rome are the consensus top 6 players. We need top end talent. Either go get the QB or get the best receiver. We cannot miss again.

I disagree 100%. I think you won't ultimately see the QB trade up from the Vikings until draft day, just so they can ensure their guy is there. I feel pretty confident that they've already talked to some team in the top 3-6, confirmed the draft capital it would take to move up and confirmed them as a trade partner (given stipulations that the guy they want is there), then they proceeded to make this trade with the Texans. Come draft day, when that trade partner is on the clock inside the top-5 or 6, the Vikings will make the call if their guy is still there and we'll see the trade go down.

You don't make a trade up for QB before the draft unless

1 You are moving up to pick 1 or

2 You are moving up to a pick whose position is also the number of QBs you'd be happy with (like the Jets did in 2018 moving up to 3; they liked Baker, Darnold, and Rosen I think).

Unless the Vikings like Williams, Maye, Daniels, and McCarthy and move up to 4, that trade will happen on draft day. I think their most likely trade partner is with the Chargers at 5, and you can't make that trade early. What happens if you do that then the Giants jump up to 4 with the Cardinals? You'd be SOL.

• Like 1

Also, Brian Thomas Jr I think is closer to those top 3 guys than a lot of people think, and he'd most likely be available at 11. It reminds me a little bit of how Chris Olave was getting overlooked in 2022 because Garrett Wilson was the big name that year.

For me:

Tier 1, I'm positive they will be studs: MHJr, Nabers

Tier 2, I'm not positive, but pretty sure they will be studs: Rome Odunze

Tier 3, Really high floor with a chance to be studs: Brian Thomas Jr

Tier 4, potential #1 receivers in the NFL: Keon Coleman, Ladd McConkey, Xavier Legette, Adonai Mitchell, Javon Baker

Tier 5, weapons in the NFL with potential to be really good #2s: Malachi Corley, Roman Wilson, Ricky Pearsall

Tier 6, hopeful #2s but more likely just role players: Xavier Worthy, Troy Franklin, Ja'Lynn Polk

Then all the rest are after them.

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Unless the Vikings like Williams, Maye, Daniels, and McCarthy and move up to 4, that trade will happen on draft day. I think their most likely trade partner is with the Chargers at 5, and you can't make that trade early. What happens if you do that then the Giants jump up to 4 with the Cardinals? You'd be SOL.

I think they are preparing to trade up with the Patriots or Cardinals for those spots. They aren’t waiting for someone to beat them to the punch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I think they are preparing to trade up with the Patriots or Cardinals for those spots. They aren’t waiting for someone to beat them to the punch.

If they can get up that high, then that would make a lot of sense to do it before draft day.

It doesn't change much for the Giants if they trade up to 3, since we were expecting a QB to be selected there all along anyway. It would change a lot if they were to move up to 4, though. That means the obvious landing spot for MHJr in Arizona is no longer there, and you're most likely looking at QBs going 1-4. That would guarantee us Nabers or MHJr at 6.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

If they can get up that high, then that would make a lot of sense to do it before draft day.

It doesn't change much for the Giants if they trade up to 3, since we were expecting a QB to be selected there all along anyway. It would change a lot if they were to move up to 4, though. That means the obvious landing spot for MHJr in Arizona is no longer there, and you're most likely looking at QBs going 1-4. That would guarantee us Nabers or MHJr at 6.

It creates more urgency now since we have a better idea of what the Vikings can offer and if we want to beat it. The good news that this trade happened so early, so Scheon has time to adjust his plans. Scheon has always been aggressive in trading. I expect no difference here.